Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decided to keep my Leica S007 and Lenses as they are worth Sweet xxxxxx  (Read 954 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography

After trying to sell my Leica S gear for over a year now, i've decided to keep it and possibly even add one more lens S180 (best offer I had was £3400 for body and 3 lenses) hahahahahahahah. I haven't used it in years but last night I charged the batteries and everything seems to be working as it did. I will need to try and find some Youtubes on how to use it and then next week I might even pop out and look for a picture or two.
Question.........is it normal for second hand medium format camera gear to drop ~90% of the new price or is that just what to expect from Leica gear?

Neil

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

After trying to sell my Leica S gear for over a year now, i've decided to keep it and possibly even add one more lens S180 (best offer I had was £3400 for body and 3 lenses) hahahahahahahah. I haven't used it in years but last night I charged the batteries and everything seems to be working as it did. I will need to try and find some Youtubes on how to use it and then next week I might even pop out and look for a picture or two.
Question.........is it normal for second hand medium format camera gear to drop ~90% of the new price or is that just what to expect from Leica gear?

Neil

Neil,

I think the S007 fell in a bad spot. The small MF market has moved at once to mirrorless with Fuji and Hassy offering IMHO more for less money.

It was also probably overpriced in the first place, has nice colors but otherwise a sensor that’s a few years behind the Sony ones. The lenses have a very nice rendering but are not that impressive technically compared to the Hassy X1D and Fuji that cost half or less.

I think that MF digital has overall delivered value through usage but has always been a disaster from a resell value standpoint. The Leica S is probably below average within that breed.

I would just keep the system and enjoy what it does well.

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography

When I bought into medium format digital I let someone else take the hit by buying used - like new with less than a hundred clicks but not bleeding edge - and at a mere fraction of the cost.

Worked for me, but there again as Bernard has suggested, the market has changed beyond recognition.

Rob C

When I bought into medium format digital I let someone else take the hit by buying used - like new with less than a hundred clicks but not bleeding edge - and at a mere fraction of the cost.

Worked for me, but there again as Bernard has suggested, the market has changed beyond recognition.

Changed, and also because the pro photographer market has changed beyond recognition too.

In fact I think everything about photography and cameras, too, has changed. We have found ourselves on the top of a huge wave of change that is being driven, today, by the coronavirus which I believe will never allow the old days to return in any sphere of activity. I simply don't think that the old, reckless days of high spending just because one can will be back; I think we will all become far more cautious and consider savings like the young never did before - if we can find and keep a job. The idea that the future will always provide seems kinda quaint today.

In other words, I think the young will develop old heads. Which would be a pity, because old heads come with the baggage of a lifetime upon which to dwell. Shame to have the weight of that baggage too young.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography

Changed, and also because the pro photographer market has changed beyond recognition too.

In fact I think everything about photography and cameras, too, has changed. We have found ourselves on the top of a huge wave of change that is being driven, today, by the coronavirus which I believe will never allow the old days to return in any sphere of activity. I simply don't think that the old, reckless days of high spending just because one can will be back; I think we will all become far more cautious and consider savings like the young never did before - if we can find and keep a job. The idea that the future will always provide seems kinda quaint today.

In other words, I think the young will develop old heads. Which would be a pity, because old heads come with the baggage of a lifetime upon which to dwell. Shame to have the weight of that baggage too young.

I give thanks to the God of Pensions.

MN

"After trying to sell my Leica S gear for over a year now, i've decided to keep it and possibly even add one more lens S180 (best offer I had was £3400 for body and 3 lenses)"

I wonder whether breaking up the kit and selling the items individually may work better. Assuming that the announced S3 will be well received, the lenses may sell well!

There are a few S007 on eBay for around $8K.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:56:44 am by MN »
Pages: [1]   Go Up