Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Lab Mask AI  (Read 603 times)

Garnick

Topaz Lab Mask AI
« on: May 01, 2020, 04:06:51 pm »

I'm tempted to purchase this plugin, but would like to get some opinions if possible.  I believe there are still three days left on the reduced price, so I'll probably download and install the trial.  However, I believe a word from some of you who have been using this app for some time would also be a great help.

Any and every reply will be much appreciated  :) :)
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

elliot_n

Re: Topaz Lab Mask AI
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 04:12:07 pm »

I used the demo when it first came out. It seemed significantly worse than the app it replaced, Topaz Remask 5.

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 04:28:25 pm »

I used the demo when it first came out. It seemed significantly worse than the app it replaced, Topaz Remask 5.

How long ago was that.  It’s current version is 1.2.2
John

elliot_n

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 04:33:27 pm »

How long ago was that.  It’s current version is 1.2.2

Last November, I think.

Redcrown

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 05:51:38 pm »

I used old Remask 5 for a long time. The new AI is a step back. I didn't see anything "intelligent" about it. And like all things Topaz, it takes 3 or 4 re-releases to tame down the bugs. Read their own support log:

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/mask-ai-v1-2-0/14491

And frankly, I haven't used Topaz masking since the latest improvements in Photoshop "Select and Mask". The Photoshop Object select and Quick select tools are very good, combined with Refine mask adjustments I can usually do better than anything I get out of Topaz. And faster too. Of course, every masking task needs a lot of hand tuning and clean up.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:39:11 am »

"And like all things Topaz, it takes 3 or 4 re-releases to tame down the bugs. Read their own support log:"

Yes, unfortunately that seems to be the case with Topaz.  I'm still working with PS CS-6, but recently entertaining the idea of finally jumping to the cloud.  I'm not doing nearly as much business since I moved to my home location, so that has been my reason for not subscribing, since I can do what needs to be none without the cloud.  I have the time.  However, it would seem that perhaps the countdown to my CC launch is getting closer daily, and the masking issue is yet another reason.

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated.  And to everyone -- TAKE CARE AND STAY WELL  :) 8)
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up