Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use Amazon for back up?  (Read 787 times)

andyptak

Anyone use Amazon for back up?
« on: April 25, 2020, 09:03:29 pm »

I read that Prime members get free and unlimited backup at Amazon. Sounds too good to be true. Is it? Does it accept TIFF, DNG, PSD and PSB? Thanks.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Anyone use Amazon for back up?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 12:22:40 am »

Does it accept TIFF, DNG, PSD and PSB? Thanks.
If it doesn't then it is not a backup. A Backup needs to accept anything that you throw at it.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:39:58 pm »

Did you actually have anything to contribute except stating the obvious?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:25:33 pm »

A long time ago I loaded up my large gallery of medium sized jpgs that I keep on the web ((`1800-3600 pixels on the long side), but I've not used it since then..  Looking at that now I see that I can sort by date, which includes year/month, not by day, but I'm not sure how I loaded them.

You can create albums, but I don't know if you can create albums within albums (for example so that you could sort by year - month - day). 

You CAN upload a directory which is what I'm doing now as a test.  Raw files from 4/21/2020.  1GB in total.  5 mins for 5 images so far (raws from a 24mp APSC camera), but it includes a 533mb DNG pano and a load of xmp files so will be interesting to see what it does with the xmps and how I can filter.

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 04:50:23 pm »

That will be interesting to hear the results from. Keep us posted please.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 04:53:08 pm »

Poking around a little more I see that if I select a single month from a year I get all of the images (thumbnails) un the page with a slider on the right.  They are separated by day though, and if I select a check mark next to a single day's date it selects all of the thumbs for that day.  The most useful options then are to add them to an album or to download them.  Pretty useful for recovery I think.  If many days recovery are needed them perhaps send them all to an album, but I have not tested further.

The 43 files (really 22) took about 25 mins to upload.  It gave upload errors for 21 files, the xmps, and no thumb for the dng pano.  I downloaded the dng and it opened OK into ACR.  I don't see any sign of the directory header I uploaded with (4-21-2020) so it appears that is just for upload convenience.

I think you can take AP for a test drive (or at least get your money back), so maybe worth a try.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »

I meant to add that I don't see a way to select all images from a month or a year, so a big download may be tedious.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 06:50:14 pm »

The 43 files (really 22) took about 25 mins to upload.
I have a 100K images plus documents so imagine how long that would take. (:-)
The bottom line is that if something takes too long or is too difficult then it won't be done and backup solution is pointless.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 05:42:24 am »

Well I think any type of cloud backup takes a long time for that 1st transfer.  But that's what sleep is for (yourself not the computer).  Incremental backups are relatively painless, and maybe then you sleep better too ...  ;D

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 07:23:47 am »

Regarding unlimited photo storage on Amazon prime, unless they have changed their specs Psd.s are not considered photos. Most raw files are accepted. i have over 11 tb stored.

MarkBarbieri

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 04:52:53 pm »

You get unlimited storage, but it is only for what Amazon considers to be a photo. That does include JPG and RAW files. It limits video storage to something very low, like 5GB.

I prefer Backblaze. It is unlimited. $60/year. Backs up everything. Does it all in the background. I have over 11TB of photos and video files backed up this way. It took a couple of months for the initial backup, but now it just seamlessly backs everything up behind the scenes and I never have to worry about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up