Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article "On Printing and Paper Part II" - question on Canson Platine  (Read 957 times)

dickbarbour2@gmail.com

https://luminous-landscape.com/on-printing-and-paper-part-ii-individual-paper-reviews/

An interesting article, which got me thinking about some new papers, so I just ordered some A3+ Canson Platine. I use the Canon Pixma-Pro 10, mostly with luster papers. I also use Canon's Print Studio Pro in PRO mode; I found it does a better job in most cases than using profiles. Has anyone used Platine on this printer, and if so, do you recommend Canson's profile? I'm sure I'll be tempted to try the PRO mode but this paper is so expensive I don't want to waste it with a a lot of experimentation.
Dick

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
Re: Article "On Printing and Paper Part II" - question on Canson Platine
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:06:42 pm »

I have used the Platine paper on my iPF 8300 as well as many of the other Canson papers. They are all very impressive papers my all time favorites. However I do build all of my own custom printer profiles due to dissatisfaction with canned profiles provided by the various manufacturers. In any case I can't imagine you would be dissatisfied with Platine.

https://luminous-landscape.com/on-printing-and-paper-part-ii-individual-paper-reviews/

An interesting article, which got me thinking about some new papers, so I just ordered some A3+ Canson Platine. I use the Canon Pixma-Pro 10, mostly with luster papers. I also use Canon's Print Studio Pro in PRO mode; I found it does a better job in most cases than using profiles. Has anyone used Platine on this printer, and if so, do you recommend Canson's profile? I'm sure I'll be tempted to try the PRO mode but this paper is so expensive I don't want to waste it with a a lot of experimentation.
Dick

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:36:24 pm »

Dick

Dick,

I don't think there's any way to avoid doing some testing / wasting getting this paper dialed-in on your printer.  Try the Canson ICC profile and indicated media type first.  Then compare with your usual work flow.  Also, just FYI, you can download and try Epson's Legacy Platine ICC profile.  The two papers are pretty much identical.  I have a very well made custom profile for Canson Platine, and I have Canson's profile and the Epson Legacy Platine profile.  As heretical as this sounds to some, I can use them interchangeably with no perceptible difference in out put quality.  I'm sure if measurements were taken there would be numerical differences, but none that would be detectable by the vast majority of printer/photographers.  I have a decent eye for subtle differences, and see none.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

dickbarbour2@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:28:05 pm »

Thanks for both comments. Looking forward to the Platine and inevitably spending paper ($) on testing, but hopefully worth it. I need to get out of my luster rut.
Dick

adman13

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 10:16:23 pm »

I became interested in trying Canson Infinity Platine after reading this article. However, when I went shopping (on the Adorama Website), I saw two different products, one called Platine Fibre Rag, the other called Platine Smooth Satin. Does anyone know what the difference is between these (if there is one)? And more to the point, which is the product that was referred to in the article?

Thanks,
Jeff

BrianWJH

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:19:43 pm »

Jeff, it's the same paper.

Brian.

dickbarbour2@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 11:25:59 am »

Bit the bullet and tried my first print with Canson Platine on the Canon Pro-10, using the Canson profile. No worries! Beautiful print, at least it's as close to the monitor image as I could hope. I'm more impressed with this printer all the time, after many years of using Epsons. Now I've got a new paper to enjoy.
Dick
Pages: [1]   Go Up