Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Surecolor P900 lust  (Read 44312 times)

KeithR

Re: Epson Surecolor P900 lust
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2020, 10:33:34 am »

Keith Cooper received a P700 (the 13" version) and is in the process of reviewing it over on DPReview.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2020, 09:20:40 am »

I placed my preorder with B&H Photo in April when it was first announced. As of today, they still cannot tell me when they will have them in stock to ship to preorders.

Has anyone seen one of these in the wild?

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

KeithR

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2020, 04:42:19 pm »

No one knows when we'll see either the P700 or P900 in the US. There are some in Europe that have reportedly received them however. I preordered the 900 in May along with an extra inkset. Well the ink arrived today, so maybe they will start showing up sooner rather than later.

FabienP

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2020, 05:15:59 pm »

Fabien,

My photography and printing is my pastime.  I don't sweat the ink switching as I do B&W prints in batches to minimize the switching.

I try to do the same on the P600 as I prefer matte papers for B&W prints and baryta papers for colour prints. But this is one constraint that would go away on the new models and could to some extent offset the higher ink price.

On the other hand, people who only use MK or PK (but not both) would have one more incentive to stay on the previous generation of printers. Having to replace smaller black ink cartridges that are never used (but are emptied by cleaning cycles) would be an unwelcome expense.

Cheers,
Fabien

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2020, 04:28:07 pm »

Availability in Japan of the P900 now pushed to 30-Sept.

It seems the P700 once became available but is now out of stock without a clear plan for availability.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:34:18 pm by BernardLanguillier »

KeithR

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2020, 05:14:00 pm »

So, announced to be available by 2nd quarter might be available by the 4th quarter?

BrianWJH

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2020, 06:52:41 pm »

Pre pandemic promises are unlikely to be delivered, production of parts or finished goods relying on off-shore manufacturing will be impacted by the global pandemic.

Brian.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2020, 12:56:34 pm »

Companies do not make money by NOT shipping products. Occasionally it almost seems as though folks believe Epson is playing some sort of game. It's clearly in their interest to ship as soon as they can. It may not be exciting, but patient waiting the only rational approach. I suspect very few of us are dependent on this printer for our livelihood.

KeithR

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2020, 09:09:15 pm »

I don't believe Epson is playing games but those on the fence between the announced printers and the recently announced canons may be inclined to choose which is available 1st.

IPDOUGLAS

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2020, 12:22:02 pm »

A suspicious and worrying lack of unbiased reviews of both the P700 and P900.  I did see a customer complaining that following installation and priming of the ink delivery tubes that their P700 was showing 15% ink only left and this is before any printing?  I had heard (but I forget where) that one is advised to buy a second set of inks immediately but these were in short supply.

Does anyone know of any honest reviews yet published?   The new Canon printer seems to be stealing the thunder?

Looking at the promotional videos the printers appear flimsy?  Any owners out there care to comment/set this right?
In Vino Veritas

John Hollenberg

« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2020, 01:11:19 pm »

A suspicious and worrying lack of unbiased reviews of both the P700 and P900. 

I haven't seen any biased reviews either.  There haven't been any real reviews of these printers yet.  Be patient.

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2020, 11:09:10 pm »

A suspicious and worrying lack of unbiased reviews of both the P700 and P900....
Does anyone know of any honest reviews yet published? The new Canon printer seems to be stealing the thunder?

First, Keith Cooper received a P700--two actually, after he broke a part on the first one--and has been posting about it at DPR (see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64172499 and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64253425). I'm confident he'll post one of his usual excellent reviews when he's done.

Second, although some P700s seem to have trickled out, I think mostly in Europe, I have not heard of any P900 in a user's hands. And the same goes for the Canon Pro-300. I have no idea how much is covid and how much is regular delays between announcement and widespread availability. But I think patience is key.

I did see a customer complaining that following installation and priming of the ink delivery tubes that their P700 was showing 15% ink only left and this is before any printing?  I had heard (but I forget where) that one is advised to buy a second set of inks immediately but these were in short supply.

That has indeed been reported. See, e.g., https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63958618 and https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64158800. I analyzed the data from the latter at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64163661.

rdonson

Regards,
Ron

NAwlins_Contrarian

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2020, 11:42:14 pm »

P700 review from Red River Paper....

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/epson-surecolor-p700-review-and-insiders-guide.html?utm_campaign=Epson%20P700%20Review%20%28Savh8v%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter%20Active&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJyZG9uc29uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk5rY2l5TiJ9

Good suggestion / link, thanks!

Unless I've missed something this looks insane.

About $37.99 per tank (25 mL capacity) for a $799 printer

I think what you missed is that it's not significantly more expensive than ink for the predecessor, the P600, which is $36.99 for 25.9ml, i.e., only 6% cheaper. And the P700 supposedly uses less ink for a given amount of printing, and in any case there's no black ink switching loss, so the net ink cost is probably very similar.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2020, 03:21:15 am »

Good suggestion / link, thanks!

I think what you missed is that it's not significantly more expensive than ink for the predecessor, the P600, which is $36.99 for 25.9ml, i.e., only 6% cheaper. And the P700 supposedly uses less ink for a given amount of printing, and in any case there's no black ink switching loss, so the net ink cost is probably very similar.

that is The advantage of a larger printer, besides its professional build.
I am at about 0,5€ per ml of genuine ink.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

unesco

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2020, 04:20:43 am »

P700 review from Red River Paper....

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/infocenter/epson-surecolor-p700-review-and-insiders-guide.html?utm_campaign=Epson%20P700%20Review%20%28Savh8v%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Newsletter%20Active&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJyZG9uc29uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk5rY2l5TiJ9

Unless I've missed something this looks insane.

About $37.99 per tank (25 mL capacity) for a $799 printer

"The P700 comes with a starter set of inks. We estimate they are 10% full, and installation is straightforward." - it does not sound good...

stevegoldenberg

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2020, 10:56:38 am »

Anyone receiving the P900 in the US yet? I’ve been on the B&H list for ages.

KeithR

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2020, 11:26:15 am »

Only the 700 has appeared in Europe and very sparingly. Don't expect to see either the 700 or 900 in the USA until the 4th quarter at the earliest. I too have been on the BH waitlist since May.

pdstromberg

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2020, 03:26:40 am »

In anticipation of the Epson P900 in June I sold my Epson 3880 and all the ink on hand.  The expected P900 delivery via BH was listed as July 16.  Currently there is no predicted delivery date for the printer -- but art least I have the ink.  It has been lonely with no printer at all and now hearing that the new one may not come for several more weeks. 

Does anyone have insights as to what is causing the delay?  A last minute glitch in manufacturing or is it attributable to the COVID 19 issues impacting the whole world but particularly the US?  I noticed that one commentor has been waiting since last May making my June sign on look late.

Don 

enduser

« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2020, 09:03:55 pm »

Can't speak for the US, but here in Australia we wait for months for any online orders because of the virus having reduced the operations of so many businesses. The other day there was a newspaper article "Does your package seem to go across the country and back again several times?" Well, yes it does as couriers get completely overloaded. It also happens because customers are buying much more online.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up