Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMI bulbs  (Read 1086 times)

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
HMI bulbs
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:38:07 pm »

Hi
I recently bought two used HMI lights:
1. Kobold DLF 400 SES
2. Broncolor HMI 575
I love to work with them.
Now I want to buy some replacement bulbs, but I can't find precise information in the internet.
There are 5600 K, 5900 K, 6000 K "day-light" bulbs with MSR, HMI, BA, HR, SE, SEL etc. endings of different brands.
At the moment the bulb in the Kobold is a lot more magenta, compared to the Broncolor (Sylvania BA 575W SE 45 G22).
I want to start with two new similar high quality "flicker-free" bulbs. Because I always use both lamps together I hope they change the colour simultaneously.
Can somebody recommend me the right bulbs please?
Thanks,
Ben

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: HMI bulbs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »

Some of those letters are manufacturer dependend: HMI (Osram) MSR (Philips) BA (Sylvania). HR marks "hot restrikeable" and SE stands for single ended (both pins in one socket, for 575HR bulbs it is G22). From my experienece the Sylvania type is a bit greenish you might want the Philips MSR575HR, they tend to be neutral, both units you bought are equipped with a warm protection glass so this might be your best bet. I also found KOTO brand to be of good quality. Unfortunately even bulbs from the same manufacturer vary quite a bit, sometimes quite visible with the eye and not so much on the actual recorded image. Be aware dimming HMI units shifts towards blue and reduces CRI. Never switch off a light before it has reached its working temperature (couple of minutes) as this reduces lamp life significantly. Hope this helps, have fun!

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 06:09:57 am »

Ulf, thanks a lot for your answer.
I really like to work with HMI. 12 hours-days in the studio are a lot more comfortable
with bright HMI light than with the 650 W modelling light of my flash units.
I didn't measure it by now, but I have the impression that the colours in general differ from the colours I get with flash.
I think the colours are matching better with flash.
Is this because of the smaller CRI of the HMIs or is it my learning curve?
Thanks,
Ben

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 06:45:16 am »

Yes they differ, as I already said even from bulb to bulb. Once you adjust the white balance it should not be too far away, though. One major plus is the small size of the arc actually emitting the light, you can get a very realistic sunlike shadow, the 575 broncolor when equipped with a clear (vs frosted) dome used without any reflector is perfect for that. Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up