Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instagram and photographers rights  (Read 1516 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Instagram and photographers rights
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 12:37:49 pm »

But did you put it on Instagram?

Not at that time, but it is now. Just illustrating possible amounts outside of published online price lists by Shutterstock and similar.

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Instagram and photographers rights
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 03:45:51 pm »

The Rangefinder magazine has it's lawyer-contributor's opinion on the matter:

"Do You Give Up Exclusive Licensing Rights When You Post on Instagram?"

https://www.rangefinderonline.com/news-features/business-marketing/legal-takes/do-you-give-up-exclusive-licensing-rights-when-you-post-to-instagram/?fbclid=IwAR0RwpN0QRWmyQvO02vX7WSK0WV4xDMJXhdE3lFhEdwcXM1Cs-Wajn0lpRY

John Camp

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2171
Re: Instagram and photographers rights
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 07:28:12 pm »

The Rangefinder magazine has it's lawyer-contributor's opinion on the matter:

"Do You Give Up Exclusive Licensing Rights When You Post on Instagram?"

https://www.rangefinderonline.com/news-features/business-marketing/legal-takes/do-you-give-up-exclusive-licensing-rights-when-you-post-to-instagram/?fbclid=IwAR0RwpN0QRWmyQvO02vX7WSK0WV4xDMJXhdE3lFhEdwcXM1Cs-Wajn0lpRY

Slobodan, I was quite interested in looking at that article, but I find that when you click on the link, you're blocked by a sign that says you have to provide your email to get access. I'm reluctant to do that -- it's equivalent to a paywall, it's just you're paying with your email -- and when you click instead on the link to their "privacy policy," you get a "404-Page Not Found" error. So I won't be going to Rangerfinder magazine, even though I have a rangefinder. Many other sites, maybe most, quietly deposit a cookie on your computer, and allow you a certain number of articles without subscribing, apparently hoping that after reading five articles, but being stopped from reading a sixth, you might subscribe. A wise position, IMHO. None of this is your fault, of course, but it you're ever at the magazine, and want to drop the editors a note, you can tell that at least one rangefinder owner won't be coming back.
Logged

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Instagram and photographers rights
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 09:06:54 pm »

John, sorry to hear you had trouble with the magazine. I used to be a subscriber to the print edition, which in return granted me online access, so I have not noticed the issue. The title of the magazine is unfortunate, as it has nothing to do with rangefinder cameras. It is a magazine supported by wedding and portrait industry. However, it used to have quite a number of other themes inside, usually of very good quality. Another reason for subscription was that it was free  :)

It is getting late here, I’ll try to post a summary of the article tomorrow.

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Instagram and photographers rights
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:42 am »

Slobodan, I was quite interested in looking at that article, but I find that when you click on the link, you're blocked by a sign that says you have to provide your email to get access.

Really? All I saw was the article.

I don't think you've missed anything, though: it really says nothing that you can't just as easily get from reading the judgment.

Jeremy
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up