I am reading this as if I post an image to instagram and another person would like to use the image, so long as they use the entire Instagram post, there is nothing I could do.
This is pretty serious and ridiculous. On top of that, my clients expect that they can use the images in their Instagram profile and other social media. So if I do not use the image, but my client does and it is ultimately reused by someone else, who is liable in a suit?
I retain my copyright, fully, with each and every shoot. So if I sued someone using an image a client of mine posted, will my client ultimately be held liable? Is there an indemnification clause in the terms of service that would transfer financial liability to the poster in a situation like this? Would I essentially be suing my client at this point?
Or would the suit just be thrown out since I have in my licensing agreement the right to post in social media accounts?
Joe, it may be ridiculous, but if you go read the Instagram usage contract (and I have,) it's pretty clear -- if somebody posts a picture on Instagram, then Instagram can do anything it wants with it. The only option they give you is to cancel your account -- and even then, if you've shared the photo while the account was up, and that photo remains somewhere on Instagram, they can still use it, even if you've cancelled your account and removed the content of your account. Also, the Instagram agreement pretty much eliminates any possibility of suing them, since anyone who uses Instagram agrees that any disputes would go to arbitration, rather than to court.
If you hold copyright, and somebody else posts the photo, then Instagram wouldn't have the right to repost it...but if it did, it appears to me that it would be the poster who made an illegal use of the shot, since he wouldn't have the right to post the photo ***unless you agree to let him post it.*** Then, I think you would have effectively granted all of Instagram's rights, and you'd have no case if it were reused.
Here's the unusual problem with Instagram and other photo hosting sites: they're machine run. There's really no effective way for a client of yours to contact Instagram and tell them that in this case, he's not granting rights, because you own the copyright. I suppose he could send Facebook a letter, but their legal office would probably ignore it or simply tell him to either post it, or cancel his account, his choice.
As the judge said in her ruling, the photographer made her choice.
For most practical purposes, if you've granted the client the right to use the photo on social media, it's gone. That shouldn't really surprise you, because Instagram is owned by Facebook, the most greedy, grasping company on the face of the earth.
JC