Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 513207 times)

chez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2501
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2020, 01:25:13 pm »

Shutting people off only limits your own knowledge. You get a narrow view of life.  It reminds me of people who only watch Fox or CNN or MSNBC.  We should all be ready to listen to the other side regardless how we feel about their opinions.  It's what freedom of speech is all about.

What happens if one doesn't watch any of those made for tv entertainment shows?
Logged

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2020, 01:25:40 pm »

Rob said our constitution should be removed due to its age.  I was making a point that age should not be of concern if the document works.

1. There is no "Writ of Habeas Corpus" to burn.
2. Magna Carta, with which you might be confusing whatever you imagine is a burnable writ, dates from 1215.
3. If you're thinking of the Bill of Rights 1688, perhaps you should read it.

Jeremy
Logged

LesPalenik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5338
    • advantica blog
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2020, 01:28:44 pm »

Shutting people off only limits your own knowledge. You get a narrow view of life.  It reminds me of people who only watch Fox or CNN or MSNBC.  We should all be ready to listen to the other side regardless how we feel about their opinions.  It's what freedom of speech is all about.

Shutting off some people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Alex Jones can be very calming. And you won't miss anything.
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2020, 01:44:10 pm »

All I have to say that Craig Lansom is the first and only user that I ever added to my ignore list. I'm only replying now because I see this quote.
I find it very ironic that he's the snowflake here who complains about how others treat him. You reap what you sow.

I find it quite ironic that armand, the guy who locked his thread just before he was about to have his butt handed to him in a handbag is calling someone a snowflake. 

I'm all for combat, and Im surely not afraid to have my opinions challenged forcefully.  In fact I full expect it given the often rabid position of some on the other side.  There are however limits, or at least I thought there were.  I guess I was wrong.  So be it.  Not that I'll stoop to that level but its good to know how low to the ground the bar is placed.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2020, 01:51:09 pm »

Ironically, not far from the truth.

May I also suggest, Infamous Scribblers, a most excellent book about the relationship between the founders and the press on all sides of the debates at and just after the founding of our nation?

Point being, Trump's not treated any worse than many of our icons have been, and the press is no more biased than it ever has been.

I'll check out that book, souonds like something I might enjoy.

Historically you are right, there has always been confilict.  But we can look at recent examples like Trump and Obama.  I read numerous articles showint the massive bias that exists between these two Presidents.  Couple that with a press that openly is working to remove him from office and has in at least one case called for journalists to suspend their objectivity ( which I think is questionable anyway) so they came make sure he is gone.

They are a free press.  Trump has done nothing to change that. But the freedom plays both ways, and Trump has no problem doing just that.

Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

chez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2501
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2020, 01:57:11 pm »

Shutting off some people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Alex Jones can be very calming. And you won't miss anything.

You'll actually gain the wasted time you'd spend beng brain washed by these shock jocks.
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2020, 01:57:57 pm »

This is unfortunate, yes. Who does not have pharma in their portfolio? They make money. The article that I saw (not this one) used the phrase "small interest", which could mean anything, including nothing.

But isn't this the reason that holders of high office traditionally disclose their financial affairs and place their holdings in blind trusts? At least in modern functioning democracies they do. I get it that it might be more difficult for Trump than for others because he earns his income from varied sources, but that's kind of the ante you need to pony up to play this game. By not doing that, he leaves himself open to all kinds of accusations.

The thing is if the information is there, then someone in the press might find it and make it public. It's silly to whine about it. Whether or not it's scurrilous depends on who you are. The press is NOT the marketing department of the administration. A free press means just that, sometimes they print something you don't like.

Its not that they print something I don't like its how they go about it.  This started as far as I can tell on Morning Joe wiht Mika saysing , paraphrased, if you want to know why Trump is pushinghtis drug, follow the money.  Before you know it, thats the story and it took someone to actually do the work to find out its not what Mika said it was. 

Its about the narrative and once its out there its hard to reverse.  I'm not saying it does not happen on both sides but the MSM has the bigger bullhorn.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken his fund was in a trust, but I've read at least a dozen articles on this and I'm not going back to confirm.  Take it as you will.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:46 pm »

Shutting off some people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Alex Jones can be very calming. And you won't miss anything.
That's different.  You're not engaged speaking with those people.  Here, in a forum, where differing ideas are being thrown around with people of differing backgrounds and opinions, you're not really in the discussion if you lock out people whose views you don't like.  You really don't want to listen. 

Can you imagine being in a college debating class and telling the instructor that your didn't listen to what one of the debater's said because he's "full of crap"?

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2020, 02:01:49 pm »

1. There is no "Writ of Habeas Corpus" to burn.
2. Magna Carta, with which you might be confusing whatever you imagine is a burnable writ, dates from 1215.
3. If you're thinking of the Bill of Rights 1688, perhaps you should read it.

Jeremy

Magna Carta was the document I meant to write. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2020, 02:03:19 pm »

Its not that they print something I don't like its how they go about it.  This started as far as I can tell on Morning Joe wiht Mika saysing , paraphrased, if you want to know why Trump is pushinghtis drug, follow the money.  Before you know it, thats the story and it took someone to actually do the work to find out its not what Mika said it was. 

Its about the narrative and once its out there its hard to reverse.  I'm not saying it does not happen on both sides but the MSM has the bigger bullhorn.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken his fund was in a trust, but I've read at least a dozen articles on this and I'm not going back to confirm.  Take it as you will.
When you take someone's money, you can always make amends by giving it back to make them whole.  But when you take someone's reputation, it's pretty much gone forever.  The rumor has destroyed it.

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2020, 02:06:42 pm »

That's different.  You're not engaged speaking with those people.  Here, in a forum, where differing ideas are being thrown around with people of differing backgrounds and opinions, you're not really in the discussion if you lock out people whose views you don't like.  You really don't want to listen. 

Can you imagine being in a college debating class and telling the instructor that your didn't listen to what one of the debater's said because he's "full of crap"?

My last reply to you on this subject. Learn to read! That's not what I said.

Additionally, I owe nothing to nobody here. For a discussion to be possible needs to be a minimal respect towards the other. I have better things to do otherwise, even these days when I was supposed to be on vacation.

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2020, 02:06:55 pm »

Shutting off some people like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Alex Jones can be very calming. And you won't miss anything.

Actually you might.  I can't speak for anyone else but part of trying to understand any given situation requires hearing both side, often more than once. So if you watch TV you watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox for example.  If you read you take in conservative, middle of the road and liberal sources.  I try really hard to do just that.  Mixing them all together and you might get to something close to the truth.  Being honest, I agree that sometimes it hard NOT to fliter towards your given point of view.  But unless you at least look at other points of view you are doing yourself a disservice.

its not like we all have anything that pressing to do at this point as a reason for not doing it.  Just make sure you have some duct tape to keep your head from exploding :)
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2020, 02:19:35 pm »

CDC Urges Public to Abstain From Breathing for 2 Weeks
— Respiratory moratorium should bring COVID-19 to a quick halt

Citing the effectiveness of sex abstinence in preventing sexually-transmitted infections like HIV, the CDC now strongly advises Americans to abstain from breathing for at least 2 weeks in an effort to quickly curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, which is transmitted via the respiratory route.

"I'm afraid that social distancing and travel bans are not enough," said CDC Director Robert Redfield, adding that preliminary research on this virus indicates that the best way to avoid infection is to simply not inhale.

"Every time you take in a new breath of air, you are unnecessarily putting yourself in danger because that air may be contaminated by coronavirus," Redfield said. "It's too risky -- we simply can't recommend breathing at this time."

Redfield is cautiously optimistic that if everyone agrees to a 2-week moratorium on all respiratory activities, this global pandemic will come to a rapid end.

Experts also believe that abstinence from breathing can be more than a preventive measure; it can also be an effective treatment for those already infected by the virus.

"It's been a while since I studied biochemistry, but in an affected patient, whose cells have been overtaken by virus particles, I'm pretty sure that if we deprive those cells of oxygen, they won't be able to replicate the virus anymore," said a beaming Redfield, adding that he personally spent the morning visiting hospitalized COVID-19 patients and shutting off their oxygen.

A poll of 100,000 Americans revealed that there is massive support for this plan, with many hailing it as life-saving. However, a few believed it didn't go far enough. For that reason, the government has also announced an immediate ban on coughing and sneezing in public. Authorities are prepared to charge those who disobey this order with attempted murder.

Meanwhile, at press time, several new studies suggested that the novel coronavirus sometimes spreads via the fecal-oral route. As such, the CDC was set to urge people to also abstain from defecating for at least one month. Look for public service announcements with the slogan "Just Hold It In!" to appear on your TV screens as early as tonight.

*SATIRE*
https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/gomer/85811
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2020, 03:54:09 pm »

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly has submitted his resignation after calling ousted Captain Brett Crozier stupid in address to crew.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html

I guess we'll get another Acting Secretary that Trump doesn't have to have vetted by the Senate.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:13:58 pm by faberryman »
Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2020, 04:14:56 pm »

Actually you might.  I can't speak for anyone else but part of trying to understand any given situation requires hearing both side, often more than once. So if you watch TV you watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox for example.  If you read you take in conservative, middle of the road and liberal sources.  I try really hard to do just that.  Mixing them all together and you might get to something close to the truth.  Being honest, I agree that sometimes it hard NOT to fliter towards your given point of view.  But unless you at least look at other points of view you are doing yourself a disservice.


Yes, we all need to listen to other points of view. But the problem with Fox, Limbaugh, Hannity, Jones etc is not that they are conservative, it's that they present factually incorrect information so much of the time. I make a point of reading several conservative columnists religiously--George Will, Ross Douthat, and David Brooks, for example--because while conservative they have respect for the facts and logical thinking.
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2020, 04:17:22 pm »

Both the Captain and the Secretary acted foolishly and unprofessionally.  How do you address 5000 sailors and call their boss stupid?  Why was he addressing them in the first place?  It was the Captain's superior's responsibility, not the Secretary of the Navy.  Another guy who didn't follow the chain of command.

Manoli

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2359
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2020, 04:26:33 pm »

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly has submitted his resignation after calling ousted Captain Brett Crozier stupid in address to crew.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/modly-resign-crozier-esper-trump/index.html.

Frank! you should have quoted the headline ...

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigned on Tuesday, a day after leaked audio revealed he called the ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew, according to a US official and a former senior military official.

And then the punch line:

" Let me be clear, I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naive nor stupid. I think, and always believed him to be the opposite," Modly said in his statement. “ I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused."

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:19:17 pm by Manoli »
Logged

faberryman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4851
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2020, 04:30:02 pm »

Let me be clear, I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naive nor stupid. I think, and always believed him to be the opposite," Modly said in his statement. “ I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused.
Wow. Just wow. I guess the crew screwed up and took him literally.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:53:40 pm by faberryman »
Logged

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2020, 04:34:22 pm »

Frank! you should have quoted the headline ...

“ Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigned on Tuesday, a day after leaked audio revealed he called the ousted commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt "stupid" in an address to the ship's crew, according to a US official and a former senior military official. “

And then the punch line:

Let me be clear, I do not think Captain Brett Crozier is naive nor stupid. I think, and always believed him to be the opposite," Modly said in his statement. “ I apologize for any confusion this choice of words may have caused.

In other news, "press secretary" Stephanie Grisham has been fired reassigned, and a few more Inspectors General have been sacked and replaced with lackeys so as to avoid bipartisan Congressional oversight of the COVID-19 bailout program, or, well, anything else.   While I maintain that the comparison of the President of the United States to a private corporate CEO is horribly flawed, he continues to demonstrate his incompetence at "CEOing" in the selection and retention of "the best people," and continues to value personal loyalty over competence or loyalty to the United States.  L'etat is NOT the president, for f's sake.

Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2020, 04:52:43 pm »

Yes, we all need to listen to other points of view. But the problem with Fox, Limbaugh, Hannity, Jones etc is not that they are conservative, it's that they present factually incorrect information so much of the time. I make a point of reading several conservative columnists religiously--George Will, Ross Douthat, and David Brooks, for example--because while conservative they have respect for the facts and logical thinking.

Oh please...broad brush strokes...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:56:19 pm by Craig Lamson »
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 400   Go Up