Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 512651 times)

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2020, 11:33:25 am »

Dude.  You cite Breitbart and OAN, apparently without irony.

Do you understand trolling?
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2020, 11:43:45 am »

Sorry for you loss Matt. 
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2020, 11:50:19 am »

Do you understand trolling?

Sure, and noted.  My mistake for assuming a conversation is held in good faith.  I'll know better in the future.
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2020, 11:57:03 am »

Sure, and noted.  My mistake for assuming a conversation is held in good faith.  I'll know better in the future.

Reasonable discussion ended in this forum on this subject long ago, IMO, James and reached a new low when members accused other members of being accomplices to Covide 19 deaths in America.  Good faith no longer exists with some members.  Please note I'm not leveling this at you pesonally. Quite frankly I believe you and I have had some substantial and meaningful exchanges. Others, not so much.
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2020, 11:57:51 am »

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Matt.  My sincerest condolences. 

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2020, 11:59:02 am »

Todays media in the age of WWII.

"President Roosevelt, you claim a major at Midway yet numerous squadrons were lost, an American carrier is at the bottom of the ocean and the Japanese are still occupying all of their previous conquests.. Is your war plan a failure?"

(from the 'net)
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2020, 12:04:16 pm »

Todays media in the age of WWII.

"President Roosevelt, you claim a major at Midway yet numerous squadrons were lost, an American carrier is at the bottom of the ocean and the Japanese are still occupying all of their previous conquests.. Is your war plan a failure?"

(from the 'net)
It's only going to get worse the closer we get to the election. It is really frustrating but it's been going on as long as I can remember. Sometimes I wonder if the founders didn't make a mistake including freedom of the press in the bill of rights. 

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:35 pm »

Current example of why the press in America sucks.


https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/07/trump-and-associates-have-financial-stake-in-potential-coronavirus-drug-hydroxychloroquine-according-to-report

Trump and associates have financial stake in potential coronavirus drug hydroxychloroquine, according to report
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Jim Pascoe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1131
    • http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2020, 12:11:31 pm »

Nah. 

With all of the guns bought during this last run before lock down, according to your philosophy, we should have had plenty of shootings by now.  But we have not. 

Kind of blows a hole in your theory. 

And even so, our 2nd amendment is our last stop protection against tyranny, and I'd take the hand full of shootings to maintain that.

14500 Homicides by gun in 2017 - quite a handful.  And by your reckoning a couple of weeks ago, we must be near the point when the American public rise up against the tyranny of the lockdown and start to riot......
Logged

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2020, 12:14:43 pm »

Reasonable discussion ended in this forum on this subject long ago, IMO, James and reached a new low when members accused other members of being accomplices to Covide 19 deaths in America.  Good faith no longer exists with some members.  Please note I'm not leveling this at you pesonally. Quite frankly I believe you and I have had some substantial and meaningful exchanges. Others, not so much.

I do understand why you would feel that way.

Personally, I have a sort of guideline that I (try to) follow, which is that if it's going to make me feel good to post it, I generally step back and give it a second (or a third) thought.  Not in the sense of being happy or proud that I've found an "aha!" piece of evidence, or a datapoint that makes a particularly strong counter to something I disagree with, but rather in the sense that I feel like I'm reacting with joy at making someone else feel bad, or wrong, I generally try to consider what my point is writing that is, and act accordingly.

Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2020, 12:20:45 pm »

14500 Homicides by gun in 2017 - quite a handful.  And by your reckoning a couple of weeks ago, we must be near the point when the American public rise up against the tyranny of the lockdown and start to riot......
They won't riot.  They'll just go back to work.

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2020, 12:22:27 pm »

Todays media in the age of WWII.

"President Roosevelt, you claim a major at Midway yet numerous squadrons were lost, an American carrier is at the bottom of the ocean and the Japanese are still occupying all of their previous conquests.. Is your war plan a failure?"

(from the 'net)

Ironically, not far from the truth.

May I also suggest, Infamous Scribblers, a most excellent book about the relationship between the founders and the press on all sides of the debates at and just after the founding of our nation?

Point being, Trump's not treated any worse than many of our icons have been, and the press is no more biased than it ever has been.
Logged

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2020, 12:37:00 pm »

Ironically, not far from the truth.

May I also suggest, Infamous Scribblers, a most excellent book about the relationship between the founders and the press on all sides of the debates at and just after the founding of our nation?

Point being, Trump's not treated any worse than many of our icons have been, and the press is no more biased than it ever has been.
The press has always been biased.  It's gotten even more liberal and Democrat in America than ever before.  Regarding Trump, it definitely is very biased against him.  90% of the articles and journalists are ant-Trump.  Even the republican insiders hated and still hate him because he's an outsider who went against them.  It was a Republican that started the dossier.  They handed it off to Hillary to follow up when the republican nominees were beat by Trump. Collusion with a foreign power, impeachment.  These things were not normal things the press pushed before. 

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2020, 12:57:25 pm »

I do understand why you would feel that way.

Personally, I have a sort of guideline that I (try to) follow, which is that if it's going to make me feel good to post it, I generally step back and give it a second (or a third) thought.  Not in the sense of being happy or proud that I've found an "aha!" piece of evidence, or a datapoint that makes a particularly strong counter to something I disagree with, but rather in the sense that I feel like I'm reacting with joy at making someone else feel bad, or wrong, I generally try to consider what my point is writing that is, and act accordingly.



All I have to say that Craig Lansom is the first and only user that I ever added to my ignore list. I'm only replying now because I see this quote.
I find it very ironic that he's the snowflake here who complains about how others treat him. You reap what you sow.

Peter McLennan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4692
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2020, 01:02:15 pm »

...  Nothing seems important.  Nothing seems to matter.

"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."
me
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2020, 01:02:38 pm »

Current example of why the press in America sucks.


https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/07/trump-and-associates-have-financial-stake-in-potential-coronavirus-drug-hydroxychloroquine-according-to-report

Trump and associates have financial stake in potential coronavirus drug hydroxychloroquine, according to report

This is unfortunate, yes. Who does not have pharma in their portfolio? They make money. The article that I saw (not this one) used the phrase "small interest", which could mean anything, including nothing.

But isn't this the reason that holders of high office traditionally disclose their financial affairs and place their holdings in blind trusts? At least in modern functioning democracies they do. I get it that it might be more difficult for Trump than for others because he earns his income from varied sources, but that's kind of the ante you need to pony up to play this game. By not doing that, he leaves himself open to all kinds of accusations.

The thing is if the information is there, then someone in the press might find it and make it public. It's silly to whine about it. Whether or not it's scurrilous depends on who you are. The press is NOT the marketing department of the administration. A free press means just that, sometimes they print something you don't like.
Logged
--
Robert

Alan Klein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15850
    • Flicker photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2020, 01:03:54 pm »

Shutting people off only limits your own knowledge. You get a narrow view of life.  It reminds me of people who only watch Fox or CNN or MSNBC.  We should all be ready to listen to the other side regardless how we feel about their opinions.  It's what freedom of speech is all about.

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2020, 01:13:33 pm »

Shutting people off only limits your own knowledge. You get a narrow view of life.  It reminds me of people who only watch Fox or CNN or MSNBC.  We should all be ready to listen to the other side regardless how we feel about their opinions.  It's what freedom of speech is all about.

Not when they behave like assholes. In real life you turn your back and say good riddance.
I can deal with different opinions, after all I didn't add others to my ignore list (despite you reading/recalling what is said in a minority of times, proof being your reply after I said there is just one person on my ignore list).

chez

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2501
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2020, 01:21:25 pm »

They won't riot.  They'll just go back to work.

Where?
Logged

Robert Roaldi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5514
    • Robert's Photos
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2020, 01:21:57 pm »

Here is a good example why wild rumours are bad for people's health. It concerns hydroxychloroquine and how it came to be as famous as it is and why it should not have, https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/07/twitter-thread-launched-trump-coronavirus-drug-170557.

There may be real bad effects of this. I've read reports that all of sudden people who use it for Lupus are encountering shortages. You can imagine what would happen if a surge in demand (and maybe price) affected malaria treatment in some parts of the world. All because of what is not more than a silly rumour.

This is exactly how NOT to behave in a pandemic.
Logged
--
Robert
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 400   Go Up