Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 208716 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 08:47:02 am »

Indeed, it is a true refelction of my state of mind. I'd go further, though, and say that I really do believe that it has lost its place in the world.

Was a time that it took some applied learning, a modicum of skill and, to shine, talent. Being an accepted photographer, as compared with somebody who owned a box Brownie and was perfectly satisfied with the little prints from the chemist's, was something slightly special - it allowed one to stand a half-step ahead of the crowd, or at least, if not ahead, to one side. Today that no longer exists. There is no level of glory in making a photograph anymore because even the village idiot - armed with a primitive smart phone, can make a photograph. I'd go further, and state that from the stuff that I see around me, others from the same village makes better snaps with their cellphones than when they buy an expensive camera and climbs aboard their newly-minted pretensions. 

As I have mentioned before, the great imaginations and eyes that once walked the darkrooms, studios and locations are now behind cameras and in editing suites in the filming industry. That's the final depository of great photographic imagination. All else is cliché - done well - or crap.

And to make it all worse, I do believe that I can smell that I have burned the friggin' soup taking time out of the kitchen to write this.

Then we must agree to differ.

How often does one hear that in the Coffee Corner!

;-)

elliot_n

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 08:50:03 am »

I throw in chopped peppers, diced potato, sliced carrot, chopped onion, hot chorizo (at least two), garlic, olive oil and a touch of all the various herbs (that Ann would use for her cooking) that I keep replenishing, just like an E6 line. There are either lentils, chickpeas or red beans and always a handful or three of those tiny rice-like pasta things that add thickness.

Sound tasty. Use a microwave for the frozen portions.

rabanito

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 08:50:31 am »

Who here doesn't secretly believe that one day their "artistic skill" will be singled out and help them earn fame and fortune? 

I believe that my "artistic skill" has to be appreciated by rabanito. That's more than enough.
On my walls hang only rabanitos.

On the other hand, a pat on the shoulder is always welcome  ;)
But let's be realistic...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 08:51:18 am »

Yes, the damned soup did burn: as with all of the ones I make, it's not coloured, flavoured water: I throw in chopped peppers, diced potato, sliced carrot, chopped onion, hot chorizo (at least two), garlic, olive oil and a touch of all the various herbs (that Ann would use for her cooking) that I keep replenishing, just like an E6 line. There are either lentils, chickpeas or red beans and always a handful or three of those tiny rice-like pasta things that add thickness. Usually, I make a point of not surfing during the cooking of the master brew in the large Le Creuset pot (orange/red, although it has an officially more glam name) and thus manage a couple of pleasant bowls for lunch that first day of brewing it up. Today saw the use of a frozen container of said mix; it went in as a frozen lump when I started, and by the time the arome hit the office, the stuff was welded to the base of the pot. There's a moral there somehahere about cooking and LuLa.

That sounds like the kind of soup I make. But I add also mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 09:20:28 am »

I think there is absolutely no difference between the actions of leaders who follow their manifesto and those who, knowing the manifesto beforehand, vote them into power. Being the cheering mob behind the lynching makes you just a guilty as the mother with the rope.

Pathetic, illogical, argumentative defence in an earlier, but closed thead, from those who are guilty of exactly that complicity with politicians who have contributed to rising deaths and unpreparedness, not just in terms of disease but also of gun crime, proves yet again that political cant is all-consuming in some minds, to the level of becoming a fixation, a religion even. Few things on Earth are more repellant than the person so empty of personality that he/she stitches his image to that of a "leader" the majority of whom are but charlatans of one stripe or another.

That such people latch onto ancient documents formulated and drawn up to suit the realities of a long past age does nothing to justify their actions at all; if anything, I'd suggest that the reality is that a long, hard look should be cast upon such outdated and presently counterproductive "rights". Those bits of writing have been turned into a licence to kill.

So by your estimation we should discard documents and rights that that have served as the very foundation of our country, because you feel they are outdated and counter productive..  I find that very short sighted.  While you may not agree with them, they are not yours.  They are ours and I’ll wager the vast a majority of Americans of both parties will fight to keep them.  And given that there exists a method to change them, that has been exercises numerous times, claims of being outdated rings hollow.
Craig Lamson Photo

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:02 am »

When it comes to conventional photography by old farts, that segment is pretty much saturated. But there are some young photographers who create new and unique images.

Someone recently posted a link to Lachlan Bailey, son of David. The lead shot was very nice, exactly as his Dad, and many, many others including myself have done during our careers. That it was delightful cannot deny the fact that it and all such imagery today reeks of cliché. It was already pushing it for originality in the 60s/70s because it hadn't been invented then; it just became widely fashionable at that time simply because fashion photographers and thin young women like Shrimpton et al. who suited the genre to perfection, themselves became like rock stars of a pre-download era.

Now, regarding the old farts. I was one of those who, from the day he became employed in photography, never made a photograph that was not intended as a learning step on the ladder of the business. It's why I have a dearth of family photos: they made no sense because the people were all around me all the time. Nobody was gonna die, ever. Just like the mountains, rivers and trees.

I had no interest in looking at or making anything but people shots. With those, I was obsessed, as I was with seeing every possible fashion or reportage magazine or book upon which I could lay hands. That was photography to me, as were many of the sometimes beautiful pictures on LP covers, one of the leading prompts for buying a 6x6 camera.

Trying to distill it, I guess the buzz was all in interacting with goodlooking girls and trying to make them look as whatever my own version of the ideal might have been. That never died, just became impossible to wangle anymore.

Without that desire, what is there? Just the stuff I see around me and am glad I no longer bother using as hopeless substitute. You make the shot, work it up, show it somewhere, and then and sadly - so what? Nothing has been achieved, the Earth didn't move and nobody gave a damn, one way or the other. You didn't even get a cheque back for your pains.

Pointless.

:-) and :-( too.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 09:28:45 am »

Sound tasty. Use a microwave for the frozen portions.

My wife refused to own one; consequently, neither do I today. Post-Corrie this will be academic (if I survive) because I can eat out here 7/7. Thank God for that!

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2020, 09:32:39 am »

So by your estimation we should discard documents and rights that that have served as the very foundation of our country, because you feel they are outdated and counter productive..  I find that very short sighted.  While you may not agree with them, they are not yours.  They are ours and I’ll wager the vast a majority of Americans of both parties will fight to keep them.  And given that there exists a method to change them, that has been exercises numerous times, claims of being outdated rings hollow.

No, they remain outdated. Exactly as the ideals that perpetuate them, deep in rigor mortis, unable to adapt to the times. People made human sacrifices for centuries; no, wait...

:-)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:04:00 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2020, 09:35:12 am »

That sounds like the kind of soup I make. But I add also mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes.

Indeed, I did forget about the tomatoes and purée, but have amended the post. Everything here takes tomato!

Craig Lamson

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2020, 09:36:01 am »

People say Trump downplayed the virus, even though he followed the advice of his scientific advisors.  What was the might press saying...

Sorry for the poor quality, it’s the best I can find.

Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:14 am »

No, they remain outdated. Exactly as the ideals that perpeuate them, deep in rigor mortis, unable to adapt to the times. People made human sacrifuces for centuries; no, wait...

You don’t build anything lasting on shape shifting ideals. 
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:30 am »

No, they remain outdated. Exactly as the ideals that perpeuate them, deep in rigor mortis, unable to adapt to the times. People made human sacrifuces for centuries; no, wait...

They are alive and well, Rob, and should not be thrown out just because you cant understand them. 

Should England burn the Writ of Habeas Corpus?  After all, it is, apparently to you, an antiquated document from the 1600s.  Surely due process for those who have been arrested has outlived its use by now. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 09:38:41 am »

You don’t build anything lasting on shape shifting ideals.

But what you do manage to achieve is weed out the redundant.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 09:47:54 am »

As some on the left continue to try and blame Trump for everything, it is good to see World Wide unity, in the West at least, in making sure WHO is held accountable for the false information that it spread in the beginning of the year, and continue to do. 

WHO director faces calls for resignation over handling of coronavirus, China

The beginning of the article focuses mainly on the USA response, but at the bottom it starts to reference other countries. 

All this comes as dissatisfaction is also building with Tedros and the WHO internationally. A Change.org petition, reported on by the Jerusalem Post, which has been translated into several different languages and cites Tedros' reluctance to question China's self-reported coronavirus numbers, among other things, has gained over 700,000 signatures.

Additionally, Japanese Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso, according to Taiwanese television channel Formosa News, said that the WHO should change its name to the Chinese Health Organization over its handling of the coronavirus.

What I find most troubling about WHO is apparrently they ignored all data coming out of Taiwan that refuted much of the Chinese data simply due to geopolitical politics and kowtowing to China. 

faberryman

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:43 am »

Should England burn the Writ of Habeas Corpus?  After all, it is, apparently to you, an antiquated document from the 1600s.  Surely due process for those who have been arrested has outlived its use by now.
Didn't Barr ask Congress to suspend Writ of Habeas Corpus? Apparently the Attorney General believes it has outlived it's usefulness.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 09:50:17 am »

Someone recently posted a link to Lachlan Bailey, son of David. The lead shot was very nice, exactly as his Dad, and many, many others including myself have done during our careers. That it was delightful cannot deny the fact that it and all such imagery today reeks of cliché. It was already pushing it for originality in the 60s/70s because it hadn't been invented then; it just became widely fashionable at that time simply because fashion photographers and thin young women like Shrimpton et al. who suited the genre to perfection, themselves became like rock stars of a pre-download era.

Now, regarding the old farts. I was one of those who, from the day he became employed in photography, never made a photograph that was not intended as a learning step on the ladder of the business. It's why I have a dearth of family photos: they made no sense because the people were all around me all the time. Nobody was gonna die, ever. Just like the mountains, rivers and trees.

I had no interest in looking at or making anything but people shots. With those, I was obsessed, as I was with seeing every possible fashion or reportage magazine or book upon which I could lay hands. That was photography to me, as were many of the sometimes beautiful pictures on LP covers, one of the leading prompts for buying a 6x6 camera.

Trying to distill it, I guess the buzz was all in interacting with goodlooking girls and trying to make them look as whatever my own version of the ideal might have been. That never died, just became impossible to wangle anymore.

Without that desire, what is there? Just the stuff I see around me and am glad I no longer bother using as hopeless substitute. You make the shot, work it up, show it somewhere, and then and sadly - so what? Nothing has been achieved, the Earth didn't move and nobody gave a damn, one way or the other. You didn't even get a cheque back for your pains.

Pointless.

:-) and :-( too.

What is there?

Well for a start the feeding of my obsessive need to create images: it's been with me since a teen and thankfully there's no sign of it abating.

As far as those cheques are concerned, in my mind at least they never amounted to anything other than a means to putting food on our table. Over the years the work that has given me the most satisfaction has been that which fed my creative hunger.

But we've been here before and once again we will have to agree that we are different beings and that it is the differences between folk that makes life so interesting.

Keep well.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 09:51:40 am »

Didn't Barr ask Congress to suspend Writ of Habeas Corpus? Apparently the Attorney General believes it has outlived it's usefulness.

Maybe, much to my chagrin.  But does that mean two wrongs make a right?  Do you agree that due process should be thrown out the window?  Yes, or no? 

Stop deflecting. 

Additionally, this is an international emergency, and although I would not prefer that to happen, I do understand that during such events sometimes you need to make exceptions.  But they should not last longer then the events. 

Last, what was the reasoning anyway?  In PA most courts are closed due to safety issues.  Asking to suspend it may have been due to keeping the courts closed and stopping the spread. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 09:52:26 am »

If this is true, I would be against it, regardless if it comes from Barr, Trump or whoever.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 09:55:47 am »

But what you do manage to achieve is weed out the redundant.

Define redundant in the US constitution.  Besides that is what the amendment process provides.

Let’s not forget that document supports a Representitive Republic that has lasted for over 200 years as a powerful force in the world.  One could argue that the world as it exists today would not be here without the USA.

Presidents and Congress critters come and go.  The ideals as espoused in the Constitution have withstood the test of time.  I believe they will endure because they define us.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:00:10 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 09:58:46 am »

Yes, I posted a link to it in one of the threads I believe.  Righty it was denied.  It was in respect to people accused of a crime but unable to have a day in court due to the virus.  It had other implications In my opinion. None of them good.

Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 400   Go Up