Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 208988 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 10:12:08 am »

Interesting stats from an interesting source, take from them what you will.

“Rush Limbaugh discussed a similar theme on his radio show today:

I have here from a source called worldometers.info or if you’re in Rio Linda, world-o-meters.info. Worldwide deaths, January 1st through March 25th of this year. Are you ready? Worldwide deaths from January 1st to March 25th, 2020, 21,000 deaths coronavirus. And that’s the low number. The lowest number of deaths, January 1st, March 25th, coronavirus. Now keep that number, 21,000 coronavirus deaths, and counting. We have to say “and counting.” Now, 113,000 deaths by seasonal flu, 228,000 deaths by malaria. Around the world, worldwide, worldwide. Not America. Worldwide.

Let me start again. I know numbers are hard to follow on radio. I do it better than most because I am patient. This is January 1st through March 25th. So basically three months.

Coronavirus, 21,000 deaths.
Seasonal flu, 113,000.
Malaria, 228,000.
Suicide, 249,000.
Traffic fatalities, 313, almost 314,000 deaths.
HIV/AIDS, 391,000 deaths.
Alcohol related deaths, 581,000.
Smoking-related deaths, 1,162,000.
Cancer deaths, 1,909,000 deaths.

Deaths attributed to starvation, 2,382,000 deaths.
And death by abortion, 9,900,000.
In the first three months of this year, January 1 through March 25th”
Craig Lamson Photo

elliot_n

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 10:20:16 am »

Rush Limbaugh discussed a similar theme on his radio show today:
Now keep that number, 21,000 coronavirus deaths, and counting. We have to say “and counting.”

Yes, you have to say 'and counting'. There have been an additional 50,000 coronavirus deaths in the last 12 days.

John Camp

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 10:21:07 am »

One of the things I don't understand is the support of Trump by "conservatives." He's not a conservative. He's a hustler, he's a more successful version of Spiro Agnew, for people who remember him. Trump's so-called "base" would normally be identified as populist, but he's not populist, either. He's a talk-show host, is what he is. His biggest threat against his base would be if Oprah Winfrey ran against him -- half his base would be gone in an hour. One of the frustrating things (for me) about all the arguments here is that I really don't have a problem with solid and idealistic conservative politicians, or solid and idealistic liberal politicians. I do have a problem with populists, who make up both Trumps' and Bernie Sanders' bases. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:32:18 am by John Camp »

Craig Lamson

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2020, 10:33:56 am »

Yes, you have to say 'and counting'. There have been an additional 50,000 coronavirus deaths in the last 12 days.

Oh yes, that is a given.  That world-o- meter is constantly running too. 

Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 10:37:37 am »

This is picking up  subject I was discussing in another thread about what the right procedure should be regarding stopping this disease.  It has to do with shutting down the economy.

First, I'm 75 so obviously I'm very concerned with this disease.  On the other hand, younger people, who may have lost their jobs and are unable to feed their family, may ask why was the whole economy shut down for a disease that mainly affects older people and which showed that the death rate was actually much lower than they were told? 

Why weren't people over 60 or 65 told to stay home so the rest of the younger people can keep the important economy going?  Measures could have been taken to supply food, services and supplies to old people living home isolated from society until the disease passed.  With a more vibrant economy, it would be easier to pay for those things rather than printing "funny" money.  Maybe this would have worked, maybe not.  But the point is there will be a lot of recrimination after this is all over due to the way it was handled.  If you're out of a job three months from now and living hand to mouth, you're not going to be thinking of those who died.  You'll want to know who screwed up your life.  Also, how are we going to get back to where we were, even if possible?  How do we pay for all of this?  What dangers exist because of a weak economy? How do we pay for taking care of all the people who are unable to work and feed their families?

This disease did not only create a need for masks.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2020, 10:41:56 am »

One of the things I don't understand is the support of Trump by "conservatives." He's not a conservative. He's a hustler, he's a more successful version of Spiro Agnew, for people who remember him. Trump's so-called "base" would normally be identified as populist, but he's not populist, either. He's a talk-show host, is what he is. His biggest threat against his base would be if Oprah Winfrey ran against him -- half his base would be gone in an hour. One of the frustrating things (for me) about all the arguments here is that I really don't have a problem with solid and idealistic conservative politicians, or solid and idealistic liberal politicians. I do have a problem with populists, who make up both Trumps' and Bernie Sanders' bases.

Why do conservatives like Trump?  On very big reason..Judges. Why do others like Trump, he's not a traditional politician.  For the most part many , myself included are simply sick and tired of the political class.  Call me a populist, I'll wear that badge.  My ideals are definitely conservative.  I had other choices in '16 but none who could win.  And Im quite happy now with how Trump has upended the apple cart.

As for Oprah taking half of Trumps base...thats a pipe dream imo.
Craig Lamson Photo

JoeKitchen

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2020, 10:44:40 am »

Why do conservatives like Trump?  On very big reason..Judges. Why do others like Trump, he's not a traditional politician.  For the most part many , myself included are simply sick and tired of the political class.  Call me a populist, I'll wear that badge.  My ideals are definitely conservative.  I had other choices in '16 but none who could win.  And Im quite happy now with how Trump has upended the apple cart.

As for Oprah taking half of Trumps base...thats a pipe dream imo.

They live on pipe dream Craig.  Remember, Bloomberg was suppose to blow the primaries out of the water.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2020, 10:51:17 am »

As some on the left continue to try and blame Trump for everything, it is good to see World Wide unity, in the West at least, in making sure WHO is held accountable for the false information that it spread in the beginning of the year, and continue to do. 

WHO director faces calls for resignation over handling of coronavirus, China

The beginning of the article focuses mainly on the USA response, but at the bottom it starts to reference other countries. 

All this comes as dissatisfaction is also building with Tedros and the WHO internationally. A Change.org petition, reported on by the Jerusalem Post, which has been translated into several different languages and cites Tedros' reluctance to question China's self-reported coronavirus numbers, among other things, has gained over 700,000 signatures.

Additionally, Japanese Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso, according to Taiwanese television channel Formosa News, said that the WHO should change its name to the Chinese Health Organization over its handling of the coronavirus.

What I find most troubling about WHO is apparrently they ignored all data coming out of Taiwan that refuted much of the Chinese data simply due to geopolitical politics and kowtowing to China. 
The UN and WHO are corrupt..  People there get paid off by foreign nations.  They support NYC's hooker trade.  They also don't pay their NYC parking tickets.  Scoundrels all. 

Craig Lamson

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2020, 10:56:37 am »

The UN and WHO are corrupt..  People there get paid off by foreign nations.  They support NYC's hooker trade.  They also don't pay their NYC parking tickets.  Scoundrels all.

There is a video on the net I have seen ( i'll look ofr it again later) where a reporter is interviewing the head of WHO and asks about Tiawan.  Thw WHO head hangs up on her.  So she calls back and asks the question again and he basically hangs up again.  Its really very telling.
Craig Lamson Photo

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2020, 10:57:11 am »

What is there?

Well for a start the feeding of my obsessive need to create images: it's been with me since a teen and thankfully there's no sign of it abating.

As far as those cheques are concerned, in my mind at least they never amounted to anything other than a means to putting food on our table. Over the years the work that has given me the most satisfaction has been that which fed my creative hunger.

But we've been here before and once again we will have to agree that we are different beings and that it is the differences between folk that makes life so interesting.

Keep well.
You're either young or a very lucky person.  Most go through a midlife crisis when we question, what's the whole point, what's the whole purpose of life?  Nothing seems important.  Nothing seems to matter.  There are no kicks.  A good read of Ecclesiastes helps. 

Craig Lamson

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2020, 11:07:31 am »

Virus Experts' Early Statements Belie 'Prescient' Portrayal

As predictions of the coronavirus’ impact have grown more dire and the White House has belatedly acknowledged the pathogen’s repercussions on the nation, the media have increasingly sought to portray the administration as out of touch with early warnings from medical experts about the coming storm. A closer look at the public statements of those very same experts during the early weeks of the outbreak reveals that the administration’s initial reassurances were largely aligned with the assessments of the medical community.

Today Anthony Fauci is held up by the media as a national hero of the pandemic response and the only reason to listen to a White House coronavirus briefing. Yet, rewind the clock back to January and his public statements essentially mirrored those of the administration.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/04/03/virus_experts_early_statements_belie_prescient_portrayal_142845.html

So, how much time did Trump supposedly squander again?
Craig Lamson Photo

rabanito

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 11:08:40 am »

A good read of Ecclesiastes helps.

Or better still, Campbell's Biology.
You'll not "understand" the creation but maybe better our real place in it  8)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 11:12:16 am »

The other numbers are only for those three months and are growing as well.  Seasonal flu for the year killed 500,000, for example. I don;t think we'll get close with Covid-19.  Of course, you can argue,and it's a fair argument, that without the isolation and other methods taken, the numbers would be higher.  But could it have been handled differently?  See my earlier post.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2020, 11:12:45 am »

This podcast is a very illuminating discussion of the history of Covid-19 by a reporter with decades of work in pandemics. It is partly factual and partly political. A good timeline of what happened and why, since there is some confusion https://radioopensource.org/the-pandemics-path/#.

I include here because of the politics.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2020, 11:15:20 am »

Speaking of Spiro Agnew who said while addressing the California Republican state convention on September 11, 1970: “In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club — the ‘hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.'”

He was referring to the media but it could apply to many who only see dark clouds and never the silver lining.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2020, 11:17:17 am »

Today Anthony Fauci is held up by the media as a national hero of the pandemic response and the only reason to listen to a White House coronavirus briefing. Yet, rewind the clock back to January and his public statements essentially mirrored those of the administration.[/i]

Meanwhile, Anthony Fauci has receiving multiple threats, they don't say from whom.

Trump dismissed the reports of threats against Fauci at Wednesday’s task force briefing, suggesting the top doctor, who he said used to be a basketball player, could defend himself.
“He doesn’t need security. Everybody loves him,” Trump said. “Besides that, they’d be in big trouble if they ever attacked him.”

JoeKitchen

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2020, 11:23:21 am »

Podcaster Dr. Drew (who is a MD) is getting threats for trying and giving out info on COVID-19. 

I doubt there is a single public figure that does not get threats. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2020, 11:24:00 am »

“Rush Limbaugh discussed a similar theme on his radio show today:

I have here from a source called worldometers.info or if you’re in Rio Linda, world-o-meters.info. Worldwide deaths, January 1st through March 25th of this year. Are you ready? Worldwide deaths from January 1st to March 25th, 2020, 21,000 deaths coronavirus. And that’s the low number. The lowest number of deaths, January 1st, March 25th, coronavirus. Now keep that number, 21,000 coronavirus deaths, and counting. We have to say “and counting.” Now, 113,000 deaths by seasonal flu, 228,000 deaths by malaria. Around the world, worldwide, worldwide. Not America. Worldwide.

Let me start again. I know numbers are hard to follow on radio. I do it better than most because I am patient. This is January 1st through March 25th. So basically three months.

Coronavirus, 21,000 deaths.
Seasonal flu, 113,000.
Malaria, 228,000.
Suicide, 249,000.
Traffic fatalities, 313, almost 314,000 deaths.
HIV/AIDS, 391,000 deaths.
Alcohol related deaths, 581,000.
Smoking-related deaths, 1,162,000.
Cancer deaths, 1,909,000 deaths.

Deaths attributed to starvation, 2,382,000 deaths.
And death by abortion, 9,900,000.
In the first three months of this year, January 1 through March 25th”

It will interesting to see if social distancing will affect the number of infections and deaths due to "normal" flus. My guess is that they will drop too.

As they stand, the above numbers mean almost nothing. Since we cannot measure the number of people who would have died from Covid-19 had no action been taken, then we end up in circles again. In that sense this is a repeat argument that the millennium bug wasn't real.
--
Robert

elliot_n

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2020, 11:33:35 am »

The other numbers are only for those three months and are growing as well.

Yes, but only coronavirus is growing exponentially.

Seasonal flu for the year killed 500,000, for example.

Yes, flu kills 500,000 in a year. Coronavirus kills 50,000 in 12 days. And it's growing exponentially. Do the math.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2020, 11:34:11 am »

Or better still, Campbell's Biology.
You'll not "understand" the creation but maybe better our real place in it  8)
Our real place in creation cannot be described by biology.  Biology describes the how, not the why or the point.  I think a "good read" of Ecclesiastes might be better than a "good read" of "Campbell".  You'll find out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 400   Go Up