Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P5000 roll custom sheets are short  (Read 530 times)

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
P5000 roll custom sheets are short
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:07:24 pm »

I’ve been printing from Lightroom for years, but my (relatively) new Epson P5000 has me stumped – only with 17” roll paper.  I posted on 10/24/19 and seemed to find a workaround for that issue, but it’s gotten worse.  I’m wasting lots of paper, ink, and time.

Here are a couple of examples.

I’m printing 5x7 contact sheets on a 17wide 15high custom sheet.  See attached “LR layout 15”.  What comes out (see “as printed 15”) is a sheet 17W13.87H.  It cuts too short.

So I expanded the paper to 17W16H and I got a print again 17W13,87H.  This time the top margin was too short also.  See “LR layout 16” and “as printed 16”.

I’ve had similar problems with single image prints of 17W11H, 17W22H etc.  The amount that it falls short varies between 1/8” and over 2”.

I spent 2 hours with Epson tech support, including getting bumped upstairs.  The expert was stumped, said he’d call me back, then he didn’t, and then the plague hit.

Any solutions?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: P5000 roll custom sheets are short
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:05:32 am »

What are you using for the print layout?  I use Qimage for this and while a bit tricky gives me what I want unless I do something wrong.

In the 1st print it looks like the interface is set to auto choose the paper length, so it's printing less as your files are a little less than the 5x7 you mention.  It kind of looks like the same in the 2nd as well, allbiet with an offset in borders.

Can you show the print layout page and the paper size setup page?

Mike

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:14 pm »

Epson's terminology is "Manage custom sizes" not custom sheets. Where are you seeing custom sheets, or is that just the term you used?
If you zoom to fill your images to 5x7 on the 17w x 15" long custom roll setting, what do you get? Or if you set up rolls, columns and borders does it come our right? (With a full 5x7)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:23:33 pm by dgberg »

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:04:23 pm »

Thank  you, Mike and Dan.

Mike:  I’m printing directly from Lightroom.  I’ve used Mirage on earlier printers for complex things that LR can’t do, but LR is pretty powerful – and usually easy and accurate.

Dan: Sorry for my sloppy language.  In LR, I go to PageSetup (in the left panel) – PaperSize – MangeCustomSizes.  If I zoom to fill, the images get cropped but fill out the 5x7 windows, but the paper still comes out short.

I may be confusing things with the contact sheet layout.  Here’s another, simpler case with a single image.  See detailed settings.

I defined a Custom Size of 17x22 (not the built-in one) with margins of 1.5 top and 1.83 bottom.  What I got was a print 17x20.88 with margins of 1.02 top and 1.19 bottom.

I will say that every custom size produces a different error, but that error remains consistent for that size.  Is that any hint?

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 01:33:02 pm »

Do you have your user defined borders set to 0 in page setup?
Whatever is set for borders in page setup will over ride what you setup on the print page margins.

Daverich

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 01:46:38 pm »

Have you tried one of Epson's standard sizes to see if they work as expected? In any event, as Dan suggested, I create my custom roll sizes with 0 set for margins all around and then print with Roll, Borderless-Retain Size. That works on my P5000.

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:07:56 pm »

Setting the user defined borders to zero and also setting the LCD paper selection to "no paper selected" did the trick.  Perhaps one or both were fighting with Lightroom's instructions.

The new result was that the prints were 1/8 too long on both top and bottom — but consistently.  None were too short, which was the source of wasted paper and ink.  And the error was the same across paper sizes so it became manageable.  So I then shortened the paper definition by 1/4 and shortened the LR layout by 1/8 T/B, and I consistently got a perfect result.  See attached contact sheet: precise 1/4 margins with 1/2 separations.

I replicated the results on 4 different custom paper sizes.  With single images and with contact sheets.  Case solved!  Thank you.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 01:28:17 pm »

Setting the user defined borders to zero and also setting the LCD paper selection to "no paper selected" did the trick.  Perhaps one or both were fighting with Lightroom's instructions.

The new result was that the prints were 1/8 too long on both top and bottom — but consistently.  None were too short, which was the source of wasted paper and ink.  And the error was the same across paper sizes so it became manageable.  So I then shortened the paper definition by 1/4 and shortened the LR layout by 1/8 T/B, and I consistently got a perfect result.  See attached contact sheet: precise 1/4 margins with 1/2 separations.

I replicated the results on 4 different custom paper sizes.  With single images and with contact sheets.  Case solved!  Thank you.

Good news, glad you have a workflow that does the job.  Your experimentation may have benefit for a tangentially related problem I'd had in the past.  I'll do some experimenting in the new few days.   Thanks!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up