Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7880 Does Not Recognize Genuine PK and MK Cartridges  (Read 2148 times)

EdRoberts

Epson 7880 Does Not Recognize Genuine PK and MK Cartridges
« on: March 27, 2020, 04:27:13 am »

I have encountered problems trying to install a 3rd party refillable ink cartridge in my Epson 7880, and swapping from photo black to matt black. The printer is a model K131A (2009) and the firmware is TN03091-1.03.800E.

The printer had a PK cartridge (T6031). I performed a photo-matt black swap using the method outlined on the Northlight Images website (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/black-ink-swap-on-the-epson-7880-and-9880/  )

I then put in a refillable MK cartridge from an Australian vendor, which was not recognized as valid, eg “Non-genuine cartridge! May not perform at optimum .. Continue <Y N>”
And when I press “Y” the message
“Damage from Cartridge is not Warranted. Do you accept this? <Accept Decline>”
The printer display then shows an empty bar in place of the cartridge, and when I print, I get a message window with
“It has been detected that your printer is not using genuine ink. Black (T6021/T6031, T6118/T6128)
For optimum performance from your printer Epson recommends the use of genuine Epson ink cartridges.
Epson cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-genuine ink. Information about non-genuine ink levels will not be available.
The use of non-genuine ink may cause damage to your printer not covered by Epson’s warranty” with a close button.

When I close this to start printing, the box at the bottom of the printer dialog window says “A non-genuine or refilled cartridge has been detected. Ink levels are not shown because of unknown ink volume” while the printing takes place.

I checked that the cartridge could be reset (it could), but this made no difference. The chip on the refillable cartridge has 6128 silkscreened on it, which seems correct.

I left the 7880 off and unplugged with the cartridge out overnight, then started it up, then put the refillable cartridge in, with no change.

I then bought a genuine Epson 220 ml MK cartridge (T6128). 

When the Epson cartridge is installed, the printer gives the message “Invalid Ink Cartridge. Non-genuine ink cartridge is installed”, and shows a flashing, barred rectangle in the cartridge position on the printer display. It does not allow me to move on from there, eg to accept the cartridge as non-genuine (which of course it isn’t).

I tried reseating the cartridge and turning the printer off and on, leaving it off and unplugged overnight with the cartridges out, and re-installing the cartridges one by one, starting with the problematic one, with no change.

I then reinstalled the original Epson PK cartridge, and the printer does not accept that, either, showing the same error message as for the genuine MK cartridge. I reset the PK cartridge with a chip resetter, which made no difference (the chip reset, according to the LED on the resetter).

As things stand, I can use the refillable cartridge, with its warning messages, but the driver does not know if it is a PK or MK cartridge. I cannot use either genuine Epson cartridge, since it comes up with Invalid Ink Cartridge message and will go no further.
I understand that a firmware update from Epson might make the use of a 3rd party cartridge difficult, but I am pretty frustrated that I cannot use genuine Epson cartridges. I haven’t had this sort of problem in the past on a range of Epson Stylus Pro printers using refillable cartridges.

Has anyone encountered this sort of problem, or can you suggest a way forward? Eg if it’s a firmware issue, is it possible to install an earlier version of the printer firmware?

This is my first post, so my apologies if I haven’t got the protocol quite right.

Peter McLennan

Re: Epson 7880 Does Not Recognize Genuine PK and MK Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:04:53 pm »

Hi Ed.  I feel your pain.  My (retired) Epson is a 9800, but I ran in to similar issues when a third party cart damaged the connecting pads on printer side of the interface.  The solution was to replace the entire four-cart receiver unit on one side of the printer.  Fortunately, the cart supplier stepped up and shared the cost of replacement.  I think the part alone was several hundred dollars.

I'd inspect carefully the cart receptacle on the Epson.  Look for bent or contaminated contact pins. They were deep inside the cart slot on my 9800.

You're lucky you can still print, even if you're unsure of MK or K ink.  Mine refused to print anything.

EdRoberts

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 11:02:09 pm »

Peter, thanks for your comments on the problem. I have taken a look into the ink bay with a dental mirror and magnifying glasses, and things look OK, though its hard to tell. I have ordered a smartphone usb endoscope from eBay for a closer look, and that should arrive in a couple of working days. I will let you know what that shows.
I took a look at the Epson and 3rd party cartridges with a micrometer and they seem dimensionally similar, to the 100-200 micron level (4-8 thou). There did seem to be possible scratch marks on the 3rd party cartridge, where the printer sensor pins may have slid over the plastic of the cartridge in front of the chip, which is slightly recessed below the surface of the plastic, in both the Epson and 3rd party cartridges. The front plastic protrusion that holds the chip in place on the 3rd party cartridge seems a bit higher and a bit broader than for the Epson cartridges, which could also brushed against and distorted the sensing pins. While pottering about in there, I cleaned the pins with a foam swab stick and isopropyl alcohol, and blew the area clean with Dust-Off, with no improvement.
I am still hoping its a software or firmware configuration issue that I have created by using the non-standard black ink swapping procedure is the culprit, but your experience suggests otherwise.
Regards,
Ed

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 04:12:27 pm »

On my 9890 I had the belt replaced and the tech updated my firmware. Now when I reinstalled the inkjet mall carts I get that message that you have to authorize that you are using non Epson carts, and like you say the  ink level is grayed out. But it all works normally otherwise. I did not ever try to put Epson carts back in there. And I don’t know if that is possible or not.

If I were in your shoes I would delete all the Epson software and reinstall everything, especially the firmware. It many be possible at that point to install the previous firmware and start over. It’s worth a try. You may have to do a google search if Epson is not offering it .

If you don’t know, I would ask on the Epson user group if some one could send it to you. It may already be in the files section of that user group.

Join - https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat/topics

Peter, thanks for your comments on the problem. I have taken a look into the ink bay with a dental mirror and magnifying glasses, and things look OK, though its hard to tell. I have ordered a smartphone usb endoscope from eBay for a closer look, and that should arrive in a couple of working days. I will let you know what that shows.
I took a look at the Epson and 3rd party cartridges with a micrometer and they seem dimensionally similar, to the 100-200 micron level (4-8 thou). There did seem to be possible scratch marks on the 3rd party cartridge, where the printer sensor pins may have slid over the plastic of the cartridge in front of the chip, which is slightly recessed below the surface of the plastic, in both the Epson and 3rd party cartridges. The front plastic protrusion that holds the chip in place on the 3rd party cartridge seems a bit higher and a bit broader than for the Epson cartridges, which could also brushed against and distorted the sensing pins. While pottering about in there, I cleaned the pins with a foam swab stick and isopropyl alcohol, and blew the area clean with Dust-Off, with no improvement.
I am still hoping its a software or firmware configuration issue that I have created by using the non-standard black ink swapping procedure is the culprit, but your experience suggests otherwise.
Regards,
Ed

EdRoberts

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 02:50:55 am »

Thank you for the replies, and the suggestion of posing the question on the EpsonWideFormat group. One of their members, Will, from Printer Mender, suggested hitting pause as soon as the error message appeared with the Epson cartridge, to get the printer to move past that error. I hadn't heard of this approach, but it worked. The printer continued to start up, then threw the same error message again, whereupon I turned the printer off and back on. At this point, the printer recognised the Epson cartridge and started normally. The printer driver recognised the ink had changed from PK to MK when I initiated a print. I turned the printer off and on a couple of times, and let it sit off for a couple of hours, and (touch wood), it seems to be working normally.
I am not going to tempt fate by swapping the refillable cartridge back into the printer while this new, full cartridge is working successfully, however!
Cheers,
Ed

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 09:24:32 am »

That guy Will is great. He’s in NYC and is the most helpful guy I’ve seen for Epson printers online. I wish like hell he was in Atlanta. We don’t have anybody like that.

Did you ask him if it was possible to revert back to the original firmware.. see if you can send him a personal message off list.

That could be your permanent solution. I bet there is a trick for doing that.

John

Thank you for the replies, and the suggestion of posing the question on the EpsonWideFormat group. One of their members, Will, from Printer Mender, suggested hitting pause as soon as the error message appeared with the Epson cartridge, to get the printer to move past that error. I hadn't heard of this approach, but it worked. The printer continued to start up, then threw the same error message again, whereupon I turned the printer off and back on. At this point, the printer recognised the Epson cartridge and started normally. The printer driver recognised the ink had changed from PK to MK when I initiated a print. I turned the printer off and on a couple of times, and let it sit off for a couple of hours, and (touch wood), it seems to be working normally.
I am not going to tempt fate by swapping the refillable cartridge back into the printer while this new, full cartridge is working successfully, however!
Cheers,
Ed
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:24:08 pm by deanwork »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:40 am »

Amazing!  Congratulations.  Happy printing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up