Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: white balance on color negatives scanning vs. removal of the orange cast  (Read 1554 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

When I do a plain scan of the white platen. it doesn't show any line that I can see.  Only when I scan the negatives.  Could the dirt be on the scanner cover above the glass or below the glass where you place the film?

degrub

is the direction of the line the same as the direction the scan head is moving ?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

is the direction of the line the same as the direction the scan head is moving ?
The scan head I believe moves in two directions.  Left to right while the carriage holding the heads move from the top of the platen furthest away from me to the bottom closest.  The lines is from the top to the bottom through all three negatives scanned on the film.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

The blue line is where the line occurs on the film scan.

degrub

Hi Alan,

The scanner specs indicate that it is a CCD line scanner - e.g.  single or multiple rows of sensels. The line of sensels would be across the scanner area  on the shortest distance  - perpendicular to the line you are seeing. so a single sensel failure or a piece of dirt on one of the mirrors in the scan head would create the line that you are seeing.

What scan resolution were you using on the transparencies ?
What scan resolution did you use on the reflective scan of the lid cover ?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Hi Alan,

The scanner specs indicate that it is a CCD line scanner - e.g.  single or multiple rows of sensels. The line of sensels would be across the scanner area  on the shortest distance  - perpendicular to the line you are seeing. so a single sensel failure or a piece of dirt on one of the mirrors in the scan head would create the line that you are seeing.

What scan resolution were you using on the transparencies ?
What scan resolution did you use on the reflective scan of the lid cover ?

2400 bits on the film scan; probably 200 or 300 on the reflective scan of the lid cover

So if it's the sensor or mirror head, how easy to correct?  Note that I just starting shooting 4x5 large format.  So I need to get either a V800 or V850.  The V600 only scans up to medium format 120 film.  So it's not a big issue for me since I plan on replacing the V600.  I've gotten ten years of service from it (bought Feb 8, 2010) almost to the day which isn't bad.  My refrigerator broke after ten years too.  I think manufacturers plan it that way.  :)

degrub

look at my earlier post about repair issues.

2400 is less than the physical resolution of the scanner according to the specs.  Try a scan of both at 6400. or at least a reflective scan. That will give you 1:1 pixel to sensel resolution and see what shows up. At significantly lower resolution, this sort of issue can be averaged out or even skipped over depending on which sensels are used.

So i reckon you will still have a good scanner for documents and such. And, yes, after 10 years it is not surprising.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

look at my earlier post about repair issues.

2400 is less than the physical resolution of the scanner according to the specs.  Try a scan of both at 6400. or at least a reflective scan. That will give you 1:1 pixel to sensel resolution and see what shows up. At significantly lower resolution, this sort of issue can be averaged out or even skipped over depending on which sensels are used.

So i reckon you will still have a good scanner for documents and such. And, yes, after 10 years it is not surprising.
Scanning medium format gives me 200mb file at 2400.  I think that will give me a file of 1.4TB!!!!  I have another scanner in my 4 in 1 HP printer that actually works faster for documents, has a feeder, etc.  So the V600 was strictly for  film.  I guess I'll start shopping for a new unit.  Thanks for your help.  I'll check out the repair details you listed above in the meanwhile.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up