Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Empty Spaces  (Read 491 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Empty Spaces
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »

I had to be in downtown Washington this afternoon, not far from the axis of the National Mall between the U.S. Capitol Building where Congress meets and the Washington Monument obelisk.  I've never seen that location so devoid of federal and private sector employees, not to mention the inevitable tourists.  (On the night of 9/11, there were few civilians, but the military and police were everywhere.)

Anyway, I stopped briefly to snap a few pictures.  Attached: looking East toward the Capitol and West toward the Monument.

JoeKitchen

Re: Empty Spaces
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:14:27 pm »

Holy shit! 

As an architectural photography, this is amazing.  I am going to have to go to the National Mall this week or next. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:03 am »

Holy shit! 

As an architectural photography, this is amazing.  I am going to have to go to the National Mall this week or next.

Great! Keep on ignoring the advice! You know a pic is worth a possible thousand strangers' lives any day.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 05:03:17 am »

Quote from: JoeKitchen
Holy shit!

Great! Keep on ignoring the advice! You know a pic is worth a possible thousand strangers' lives any day.

Yup, you really couldn't make this stuff up.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:39:20 am »

Don't worry Rob, I will. 

By the way, I don't see how wondering around an empty park is going to spread the disease, but keep on over reacting. 

I have spoken to a client of mine about shooting two exterior project next week.  That of course is predicated on leaves starting to come out, which I feel is wishful thinking at this point of the year, but if those leaves show up, I certainly plain on photographing them. 

Like I said, I dont see how walking around on empty streets is going to do any harm.  Even during business as usual, this is a pretty solitary profession. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 09:46:15 am »

Yup, you really couldn't make this stuff up.

I think you have more important things to worry about across the pond Keith then some guy walking around by himself not interacting with anyone, even during normal times, on empty streets. 

Coronavirus: Tube drivers 'furious' at crowded carriages

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:54 am »

When you walk around in these present conditions you achieve two principlal things: you leave a trail of possible infection behind you; you make other people think hey, if he can do that, then why not I?

Where either leeds is not difficult to grasp.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 09:58:21 am »

When you walk around in these present conditions you achieve two principlal things: you leave a trail of possible infection behind you; you make other people think hey, if he can do that, then why not I?

Where either leeds is not difficult to grasp.

If this virus can live on the random trees or concrete surfaces I happen to touch long enough to infect others, then we truly are screwed.  But really, I think you are greatly over reacting. Like I said, even in good times, I hardly talk to anyone while outside and those who do approach I often try to shoe off anyway. 

Nothing like a hobbyist who suddenly wants to talk your ear off about equipment (most of I know nothing about) while you are working. 

Fact is, many parks are not only in use, but used more due to this shut down. 

Large office, confined spaces like the NYC or London subway, makes perfect sense, even if Tube traffic appears to not have decreased at all.  But a solitary guy out taking pictures? ???

If people are still walking through parks at a higher rate then before, virtually being encouraged by the city, I see nothing wrong with walking empty streets. 

KLaban

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 10:29:31 am »

I think you have more important things to worry about across the pond Keith then some guy walking around by himself not interacting with anyone, even during normal times, on empty streets. 

Coronavirus: Tube drivers 'furious' at crowded carriages

The London underground situation is a national scandal.

Joe, I give thanks I'm not you neighbour. 

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 10:31:10 am »

If this virus can live on the random trees or concrete surfaces I happen to touch long enough to infect others, then we truly are screwed.  But really, I think you are greatly over reacting. Like I said, even in good times, I hardly talk to anyone while outside and those who do approach I often try to shoe off anyway. 

Nothing like a hobbyist who suddenly wants to talk your ear off about equipment (most of I know nothing about) while you are working. 

Fact is, many parks are not only in use, but used more due to this shut down. 

Large office, confined spaces like the NYC or London subway, makes perfect sense, even if Tube traffic appears to not have decreased at all.  But a solitary guy out taking pictures? ???

If people are still walking through parks at a higher rate then before, virtually being encouraged by the city, I see nothing wrong with walking empty streets.

Joe, you defy logic: if the streets are empty, it's because you, too, have no business there. I am pretty confident that neither hookers nor dealers are out there, plying their trade. Is a photographer going to be even worse a menace to health?

And yeah, as you kinda suggested: we are pretty much screwed; some realise it earlier than others.

Regarding the London Underground: it is crowded because of yet another dumb political error: prohibiting non-essential travellers from travelling would have worked better if also leaving the number of trains alone, not by reducing frequencies. That only forces those essential folks into sardine cans. More trains + fewer people = more space per person.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:39:33 am »

Joe, you defy logic: if the streets are empty, it's because you, too, have no business there. I am pretty confident that neither hookers nor dealers are out there, plying their trade. Is a photographer going to be even worse a menace to health?

And yeah, as you kinda suggested: we are pretty much screwed; some realise it earlier than others.

Regarding the London Underground: it is crowded because of yet another dumb political error: prohibiting non-essential travellers from travelling would have worked better if also leaving the number of trains alone, not by reducing frequencies. That only forces those essential folks into sardine cans. More trains + fewer people = more space per person.

Rest assured, drug dealers and pros are still out on streets, and not even being arrested right now.  There are even block parties being thrown right now due to so many people being home.  The police are having trouble keeping them from happening. 

Block parties, they should not be happening.  A person alone on the street, give me a break. 

Instead of a practical measured response, the entirety of the world has lost their minds.  I am obviously for many certain measures being put in place, but listening fully to the medical experts while insisting that we ignore all the economists is foolish. 

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:16 am »

In the UK the very strong advice is STAY HOME and have just one walk, cycle ride, run a day from home not getting closer than 2m from anyone.  Why?  Driving when not absolutely necessary uses fuel and means  more trips to the fuel station.  So?  Contact with the cashier, handling cash, touching the card machine.  Not a good idea given how long the virus can last on a hard surface.  if possible contactless card payment should be used but most fuel payments are above the limit. 

The vast majority of people are obeying, and think anyone who doesn't is practising dumbfuckery, and anyway much is closed.  Even all weddings are off.  The London tube situation is not good news.  People here are being very cautious, even somewhat scared and do not want to put themselves in a position to possibly transmit.  Supermarkets are imposing restrictions on the number of people in the stores and there are good natured queues with people >2m apart.  Shock, horror, they are talking to each other, not buried in their phones.  The roads are eerily empty. 

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 11:36:15 am »

Just seen on the news that police are spot checking motorists in N Yorkshire to find out why they are driving.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

KLaban

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 11:39:29 am »

Rest assured, drug dealers and pros are still out on streets, and not even being arrested right now.  There are even block parties being thrown right now due to so many people being home.  The police are having trouble keeping them from happening. 

Block parties, they should not be happening.  A person alone on the street, give me a break. 

Instead of a practical measured response, the entirety of the world has lost their minds.  I am obviously for many certain measures being put in place, but listening fully to the medical experts while insisting that we ignore all the economists is foolish.

It is probable that the USA is going to become the Covid-19 world epicentre with weeks.

If what you repeatedly tell us here on LuLa about the majority of your compatriots and their attitudes to the instructions and advice handed down by your government is true then you're all going to need that break.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 12:58:27 pm »

It is probable that the USA is going to become the Covid-19 world epicentre with weeks.

If what you repeatedly tell us here on LuLa about the majority of your compatriots and their attitudes to the instructions and advice handed down by your government is true then you're all going to need that break.

I am certainly surprised by the massive parties some people are throwing, but some need a release.  Not excusing it; just stating a fact. 

I did some gardening today and I live in a connected townhouse.  So, if I want to walk from my back to the front without going inside, I need to walk around the block.  Many people were out, more so that I usually see.  There was ever a team of contractors connecting a new sewage pipe to someones house.  I would assume this is essential work, but who knows. 

I just dont see how any of this will work. 

Now we were all keeping our distance, but I would not say anymore then any other time, except for Stephon.  Stephon is one of those neighbors you try not to make eye contact with because if so he will try and suck you into a pointless two hour conversation. 

He was out and about talking up a storm, hugging and petting people's dogs, and he's a nurse.  With people like Stephon out there, I dont have much faith either. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:05:21 pm by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 01:08:56 pm »

Let me add, we are treating as if it is a one-size-fits-all scheme, and it is not.  Not all geographies are the same and age is a large factor in how bad you effected. 

As such, I feel we should be taking a measured approach adjusting our tactics based first on geography and then on age.  I also feel one of the main reasons the media is insisting on a worse case approach is because Trump is in office and they want him to fail. 

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 03:09:01 pm »

A few follow-up notes on "social distancing" in Washington, D.C.

When I was downtown the other day, I needed to use a different route than usual when driving from and back to my home Maryland about a half-hour North of the city.  Washington's mayor had to block both pedestrian and automotive traffic along my usual route, which runs along a stretch of the Tidal Basin that serves as the primary venue for the city's famous Japanese cherry trees because crowds of sightseers were jamming the walkways—completely ignoring the federal and city pandemic density restrictions.  That's a favorite place for people who live in the downtown area to walk even when the cherry blossoms are not in bloom, as is the National Mall, where I made the photos attached to my original post in this thread.

Most residents who live in or adjacent to Washington's central core occupy apartments or townhouses.  There are exceptions: Capitol Hill, near the building where Congress meets, has many single-family houses on parcels of land that resemble those in the suburbs.  But the National Mall, along with the temporarily off-limits Tidal Basin, are the two largest parks in the downtown area.  The city government is not discouraging the use of the Mall for solitary or family recreation and I'm sure that as soon as the cherry blossoms have faded it will remove the restriction the use of the Tidal Basin.

Needless to say, all the museums, theaters, and restaurants in downtown D.C. are closed, and actually I was somewhat surprised by how few people were walking on the Mall during the ten minutes I was there.  It was a very nice afternoon and it's a very big area; there was no need for anyone to get within ten meters of an unrelated stroller, much less the recommended two.

If I lived in Philadelphia, a two-and-a-half hour drive from Washington, would I make the drive to Washington to shoot some pictures?  Probably not.  For one thing, good luck finding a bathroom that is accessible to the general public.

Finally, while I was unable to see the cherry blossoms along my usual route, I have unimpeded access to the little cherry tree my wife and I planted in our backyard five years ago.  It's doing fine, thank you (see attached), and I guess it will have to suffice until next year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up