Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D-40 Mirror/Shutter Issue  (Read 812 times)

jhoff

Hasselblad H4D-40 Mirror/Shutter Issue
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:07:35 pm »

Hi there,

I recently bought a used H4D as my first foray into medium format and I am having an issue that I don't understand.  I have shot with Canon my whole life and so I don't know if I am just noob when it comes to medium or if am just completely missing something.  I am getting strange light flares and leaks when I trigger both the mirror and shutter simultaneously, the only way I can get a clear photo is by locking the mirror up first and then about 1.5 seconds later i can take the photo and then I have the wait another 1.5 seconds before dropping the mirror down again otherwise i get all sorts of flares and distortion to the image.  I have tried all of the mirror delay options in the menu and none of them are making any noticeable difference. 
Am I missing something here or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:13:37 pm by jhoff »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Hasselblad H4D-40 Mirror/Shutter Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:54:40 pm »

What do you mean by "trigger the mirror".
You just trigger the shutter or press the button like any other camera.

You can press the M-UP button in advance if you want a shake free image but you never press the two together.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

jhoff

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:41:40 pm »

Sorry, bad lingo.  By “trigger the mirror” I mean pressing the M-Up button.  My problem is that when I press the shutter release button without first pressing m-up my photos always have those flares.  So to put it more concisely when I press shutter release and the shutter and mirror actuate I get those distortions no matter what, the only way that I don’t is by first having to press M-Up, in all situations. 
My assumption would be that I could press the shutter release button without having to press M-Up and still have a usable photo of some sort. Am I wrong in assuming that?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:46:56 pm by jhoff »

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 06:17:54 pm »

This really should be in the Medium Format area - you'll find more help there.

Having said that, what does the seller say about this?  How long has the camera been sitting around before you purchased it? 

What model battery are you using, is it fully charged, and have you recharged it fully?  Can you tether to a computer using FW800?  It may want to be plugged in and charged for a while - there's a rear curtain that's on the body that protects the sensor and that may be having issues.  Have you pulled the back off the body & looked at the contacts?

What lens are you using, and was it part of a kit from the seller, or was it acquired separately?  When you're shooting these images, are you doing it hand held or on a tripod?  Does it happen across multiple lenses, or do you only have the 1 currently?  Do you get the same visual when the camera is in vertical orientation as in horizontal?

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 06:18:57 pm »

My assumption would be that I could press the shutter release button without having to press M-Up and still have a usable photo of some sort. Am I wrong in assuming that?
It should work like any other DSLR. It needs a service.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

jhoff

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:27:11 pm »

Gotcha, thanks so much much for your help guys, I kind of figured it was an issue and would need a repair and this confirms it. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up