Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does air mix with the ink once the cart is installed?  (Read 343 times)

texshooter

Does air mix with the ink once the cart is installed?
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:09:06 am »

When you install an ink cart into the printer, does any amount of air get pushed inside the cart's ink bladder? Yes, air is injected inside the chamber surrounding the bladder, which squeezes the ink out. But I was wondering if air flows backward somehow into the bladder itself. I speak of original K3 carts, not the refillable kind

I ask because I'm trying to decide if buying partially used carts is a bad idea.

Garnick

Re: Does air mix with the ink once the cart is installed?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:24:53 am »

As far as I know, the seal is such that it will not allow air to enter the bladder.  However, I'm not totally sure about the refillable carts, since I've never used them.  I have of course used very low carts that have been kept in their original plastic bag until needed, but the only time I've seen air in an ink line was following the installation of a new print head.  I just tracked the air bubble almost to the head and as soon as I saw an issue I printed a few blocks of that colour only and the air issue had been taken care of.
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Does air mix with the ink once the cart is installed?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 12:11:29 pm »

I have been buying OEM partially used carts for the better part of 10 years with zero problems.(K3 inks) I have inserted them until they stop printing or pulled all the ink out with a syringe. Some of the larger 350/700 ml carts can have as much as 40ml left in them when they no longer print. I get every last drop out with the syringe.
These carts have a one way valve so you have two options. Use the ink from the carts while printing or do like I do and pull it out with a syringe and put it in my refillables.
With K3 I am refilling a P9900 and 3880. Some people send me full unopened carts and the rest I purchase for .05 to.10 per ml.
I go through a ton of ink here and have my cost per ml down to about .07 per ml average.
Down from the factory prices of .35 (9900)and .60 (3880)per ml.
Sure it's a little bit of extra work but I figure I am saving about $2500 a year in ink costs.
Are some or all of them out of date, sure. It shows how conservative Epson is with the use by dates. No problems here.
Tons of K3 out there, I would get as much as you can with no worries.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:01:35 am by dgberg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up