Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What Will You Do During the Plague Year?  (Read 7655 times)

Watermelon_seller

Re: What Will You Do During the Plague Year?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2020, 12:02:09 am »

I’ll be making noise with my modular synthesizer and drum machine. I can make hours fly when I’m on that thing.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2020, 04:49:17 am »

Working from home.

Exercising at home.

Spending more time with the family.

Jogging early in the morning, of course away from anybody.

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2020, 06:46:42 am »

Funny thing: I recall writing that in spiritually dry moments, one could shoot things around the house.

While no longer really driven to shooting anything, once more I've found myself excited by tv serial title sequences. It happened with Sopranos, with Braquo and again, now, with Justified. Some minutes ago I found myself in the garden shooting stuff that might be suitable for adaptation from extreme mundanity to perhaps looking a little more dynamic. The pleasure/frustration will be experience on the monitor.

It must be cabin fever. Now there's a more difficult theme!

Rob

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 07:40:26 am »

The other night, I stepped outside with my phone and shot this hand-held.  Google Pixel 3XL
It was cold, but I was grateful I didn't have to set up my Nikon and tripod.  I was done in less than a minute.
Yes, it's a bit noisy.  But I did get the shot.

Thanks very much for the inspiration. Did I mention that I was a morning person and get lazy in the evening. And pretty much at other times too.

A few weeks ago after a snowfall we went out for a walk in our deserted suburban streets. I have an Oly 5 m2 and the 17 mm/f2.8 and managed to shoot a handheld photo at 1 sec shutter speed that looked ok, streetlight only in cloudy skies. Noisy in the shadows, sure, but so what. I managed to shoot some others at 1/4 and 1/8 but also flubbed several at the same speeds. None of them were worth keeping, they had little photographic value but it's hard to believe what can be done. I was playing with hyperfocal shooting; result: the distance and DOF scale on the lens aren't reliable. It's warming up around here so I soon won't have the temperature excuse anymore, there will only be laziness left.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 07:43:55 am »

A friend is teaching himself portrait lighting using his daughters' dolls as patient subjects.
--
Robert

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2020, 12:08:06 pm »

Doing more baking. Practicing cello more. Reading. Rewatching old favorite movies, and some new ones. Listening to music.

John Camp

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2020, 12:41:49 pm »

When I started this thread, I was talking about finding "structure" for your time in isolation. I've got a lot of things that I more-or-less "do" other than work -- photography, guitar, and I paint. Since I'm old, I really want to stay away from this virus, and so my wife and I are social distancing, which means I should have lots of time for these things. But I've been strangely paralyzed. Instead of doing them, I've been stuck watching corona virus reports on TV and reading the net, and whenever I pick up a guitar, I play for a couple of minutes then put it down again. Can't really seem to practice. I keep thinking I really need to get on it, but I can't seem to focus. I could go out and photograph, but I haven't. Maybe as you get increasingly bored, you may get on it...but I dunno. Now I think I'm hooked on a Netflix  series called "Stranger Things," and I don't even watch much TV during ordinary times. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2020, 12:57:07 pm »

Don;t be so hard on yourself.  I'm kinda stuck too.  Same age.  I'm worried.  Well, we're creatures of habit.  And now nothing is the same.  It takes awhile to find our way.  This isn't a normal situation.  We're all in God's hands.   

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2020, 01:06:53 pm »

When I started this thread, I was talking about finding "structure" for your time in isolation. I've got a lot of things that I more-or-less "do" other than work -- photography, guitar, and I paint. Since I'm old, I really want to stay away from this virus, and so my wife and I are social distancing, which means I should have lots of time for these things. But I've been strangely paralyzed. Instead of doing them, I've been stuck watching corona virus reports on TV and reading the net, and whenever I pick up a guitar, I play for a couple of minutes then put it down again. Can't really seem to practice. I keep thinking I really need to get on it, but I can't seem to focus. I could go out and photograph, but I haven't. Maybe as you get increasingly bored, you may get on it...but I dunno. Now I think I'm hooked on a Netflix  series called "Stranger Things," and I don't even watch much TV during ordinary times.

Must be what happens with all shocks to the system. The period after 9/11 was like this, glued to the TV in those days, not so much social media. Some time needs to pass to acclimatize to the new normal. We can't shut off our brains or shift our thoughts as easily as we think. Part of the attraction of seeking out virus info must arise out the human need to find company. People congregated in town squares to find out what was going on, we do this. It's not a cute cliché that we are social animals, it's for real.

I wonder if this need to seek out others itself causes anxiety in some people, especially males. A lot of popular culture venerates the lone man on the hill with a gun who protects his family against all comers. I'm painting a lame cliché here, please understand it's hyperbole, I can't find a better way to phrase it right now. As males we are "trained" not to seek out help and understanding from others and this probably creates conflict for us. It's an evolutionary conflict too, it is in our nature to form in packs, which we now refer to as society. Maybe the realization that real life is not a Die Hard movie is itself a shock that needs to be absorbed. Maybe in our culture we learn too many life lessons from the Hollywood fantasy, not easy to unlearn it.

Obviously, I'm speculating. What do I know.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2020, 05:30:11 am »

Must be what happens with all shocks to the system. The period after 9/11 was like this, glued to the TV in those days, not so much social media. Some time needs to pass to acclimatize to the new normal. We can't shut off our brains or shift our thoughts as easily as we think. Part of the attraction of seeking out virus info must arise out the human need to find company. People congregated in town squares to find out what was going on, we do this. It's not a cute cliché that we are social animals, it's for real.

I wonder if this need to seek out others itself causes anxiety in some people, especially males. A lot of popular culture venerates the lone man on the hill with a gun who protects his family against all comers. I'm painting a lame cliché here, please understand it's hyperbole, I can't find a better way to phrase it right now. As males we are "trained" not to seek out help and understanding from others and this probably creates conflict for us. It's an evolutionary conflict too, it is in our nature to form in packs, which we now refer to as society. Maybe the realization that real life is not a Die Hard movie is itself a shock that needs to be absorbed. Maybe in our culture we learn too many life lessons from the Hollywood fantasy, not easy to unlearn it.

Obviously, I'm speculating. What do I know.

I believe you're right: most of us Brits who lived through WW2, where cinemas were the only relief, believed that all Americans lived Hollywood lives, which was why so many became GI brides: the desire for escape. Only much later did people begin to understand that the American Dream was just that: a dream. Same everywhere; some rise to the top, and they are at the top because the rest are far below, which is simple enough to understand, once you think about it. So Hollywood, Bollywood or some studio in the south of England - the fantasy machines keep churning - or they did until this week when productions got suspended.

It's my suspicion that this crisis will continue for quite a while, and that if it lasts long enough to pass some critical turning point, we will mostly have changed our ways for ever. I think a lot of businesses will vanish and not reopen, either as demand may have gone or the owners come to different conclusions about what they think will make them happy and give them a good life.

If anything, the demise of all that petrol-driven locomotion - perhaps only temporary - should make a significant change to levels of pollution.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2020, 07:40:49 am »

First and foremost I refuse to call and accept this time as the new NORMAL. It's not normal and I will fight to keep my life and work on tract.

Peter

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2020, 07:43:27 am »

First and foremost I refuse to call and accept this time as the new NORMAL. It's not normal and I will fight to keep my life and work on tract.

Peter

Quite right. I used the term "new normal" above and that was a bad choice of words, a dumb cliché.

--
Robert

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2020, 07:54:57 am »

Quite right. I used the term "new normal" above and that was a bad choice of words, a dumb cliché.

Robert in no way was I responding to your use of normal. The NEWS in all it's forms is guilty..."WE" all should just surrender! NO I will not accept a diluted life. I can still be me and not compromise a single sole.

Sitting in one's home watching the news 24/7 is a DEATH sentence. I won't accept....I will not put my head in the noose, if the noose finds me so be it.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:23:58 am by petermfiore »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:39 am »

I believe you're right: most of us Brits who lived through WW2, where cinemas were the only relief, believed that all Americans lived Hollywood lives, which was why so many became GI brides: the desire for escape. Only much later did people begin to understand that the American Dream was just that: a dream. Same everywhere; some rise to the top, and they are at the top because the rest are far below, which is simple enough to understand, once you think about it. So Hollywood, Bollywood or some studio in the south of England - the fantasy machines keep churning - or they did until this week when productions got suspended.

It's my suspicion that this crisis will continue for quite a while, and that if it lasts long enough to pass some critical turning point, we will mostly have changed our ways for ever. I think a lot of businesses will vanish and not reopen, either as demand may have gone or the owners come to different conclusions about what they think will make them happy and give them a good life.

If anything, the demise of all that petrol-driven locomotion - perhaps only temporary - should make a significant change to levels of pollution.
It's true that most Americans aren't millionaires.  But you missed the point.  The rest aren't at the bottom or poor.  America has a huge middle class who live better than 90% of the rest of the world.  Also, you didn't mention freedom.  Many came here and still come here not for wealth but just for freedom, to escape political, religious and other personal oppression.  Not everything's about money.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2020, 09:50:17 am »

Nick Heath, a suddenly-unemployed rugby commentator in London, seems to have figured out how to use his idle time.

Rob C

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2020, 10:07:30 am »

That depends on how quickly something becomes normal.

Before the digital age it took time for news to spread further than via the tv or radio; the rest was a case of local mouth-to-mouth conversation. That meant that folks could be up to date with what was broadcast, but that also meant the rôle of propaganda could be far more powerful in all sorts of ways. So, consequently, new information leading to change took time, and that directly governed and governs what the speed of reaching different versions of normality can mean.

Today, with the speed with which we adapt to events worldwide, with so much information available about deaths, infections and the rest of it, driven by graphically powerful images of streets empty of anyone but police and/or military, the sense of déjà-vu cuts in and allows us to think it's been like this for months with all of us because, in a sense, it has, the crisis creeping from country to country but still seen in our own homes as it were happening on our own streets from day one of the pandemic.

So yeah, the new normal does seem to have been a legitimate phrase to use. And I do believe it's going to be the norm for a helluva long time to come, if the authorities have the sense to keep the isolation measures in place long enough to be certain that the thing is dead and not just lingering in the wings. I fear that they will not wait, and decide to sound the all clear far too soon and throw us right back in where we are today.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2020, 10:16:07 am »

So I'm getting board of making Gouda and Gruyere, and just realized I have the cultures for Emmentaler. 

Think I'll start that today, plus it is getting warm enough in my garage for hole development.   :D
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Rob C

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2020, 12:41:11 pm »

So I'm getting board of making Gouda and Gruyere, and just realized I have the cultures for Emmentaler. 

Think I'll start that today, plus it is getting warm enough in my garage for hole development.   :D

Make it too big and the garage will fall in.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2020, 12:42:07 pm »

Stop it, I'm hungry.
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2020, 04:52:00 pm »

Stop it, I'm hungry.

They're starting to ration milk and I only have enough rennet for two more batches, so ... 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up