Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What Will You Do During the Plague Year?  (Read 7652 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: What Will You Do During the Plague Year?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 05:18:53 pm »

Now that I'll have plenty of time on my hands I'll be looking for excuses to get out of spring-cleaning and decorating the house.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 05:29:40 pm »

I bit the bullet and ordered stuff for my new computer, which is shinier and more handsome than the old one, to help me cull and revisit my out of control photo library. And spring cleaning/gardening around the house. Keeping young kids with something to do is the more challenging part of all though.

That is when I don't work and if I won't get sick.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 05:34:30 pm »

Back on topic...

I also work from home but my hours (and pay) have been cut to 80% so I have a lot of three day weekends coming.
Much of my photography is landscape so between work and my main photo genre, not a whole lot changes.

Of course I also do photography for bike races, concerts, and town events, all of which are going to be on hold for the foreseeable future.
Real Estate photography could still be done if there is any market but I expect that will be cooling for a while now too.

So my plan is to sling code 32 hours a week and then use my extra time to backcountry ski the spring until it's bike season and then ride a lot. Probably some solo backpacking excursions too. Landscape photography can be worked into all those activities much of the time as well.

We used to eat out once or twice a week and that's on indefinite hold now too. I generally prefer how home cooked food treats me anyway so that won't be too bad.
I'm fortunate there are things to do here that you can do with lots of space between you and others. It would be a lot harder for me to get that recreation in on a stationary bike or treadmill. 
-MattB

chez

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:07 pm »

So my plan is to sling code 32 hours a week and then use my extra time to backcountry ski the spring until it's bike season and then ride a lot.

I'm not slinging any code but I'm out every morning either x-country skiing or walking my dog on snow shoe trails and starting tomorrow will be starting some road biking in the afternoon when things warm up a bit.

Photography wise I'm catching up on creating some coffee table books from the last few years of travel.

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 10:17:16 pm »

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work,  image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:19:55 am by stevenfr »

SharonVL

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 11:55:04 pm »

I have already been working on getting new work published but it is amazing how knowing you can’t go out changes everything. The work I could easily concentrate on a couple of weeks ago now seems like an immense burden. It feels  claustrophobic in my studio.

I started a personal project today to try a different direction. Hopefully that will help. I’m sure it will get easier but right now my nerves are jangly.

Sharon

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 09:29:56 am »

I have already been working on getting new work published but it is amazing how knowing you can’t go out changes everything. The work I could easily concentrate on a couple of weeks ago now seems like an immense burden. It feels  claustrophobic in my studio.

I started a personal project today to try a different direction. Hopefully that will help. I’m sure it will get easier but right now my nerves are jangly.

Sharon

I have about 50 image I need to post for a client, shot recently. I struggled for the firsts to days, not able to get in the swing.Finally, on Weds.  I sat myself down in front of the computer and forced myself to work.  I still got sidetracked ( and I suppose I will continue) trying to keep up with the news and venting here. Hopefully today I can put in a good eight or nine hours and make a dent.  I need to deliver these by Monday, even if things close. The customer was still open this week, I dont know about next. We are scheduied to be back there to shoot again on Mar. 30-31 and April 2-3.  If things are still open I'll have to decline at this point.  Im not one to leave money on the table but in this case its different.

But back to topic, music helped me while doing post.  It kept my mind from wandering.  Trying to stay away from the news might help too, but I'm a sucker for news. Its finally not raining here today so I'll get out withthe dogs for a walk and maybe wander the yard a bit.

Its going to take a different mindset to move forward now, at least until this thing lifts.  I have no idea when that happens.  We got the first two cases in out county today, so its real for us now. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 09:32:34 am »

I have decided to do a fine art photography book. 176 pages, hard cover, offset printing UV LED, 80 plates or more. It has been on my to do list for some time. I am just getting quotes from printers. I have designer we use for the layout, work on a forward, find someone to write an article on my work,  image selection. My goal is to do this project high end, with the word elegant as the driving thought for the project. I am excited about the project. It will keep me busy.

You have wonderful images. It should be a great book. 
Craig Lamson Photo

James Clark

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 09:41:57 am »

I have about 50 image I need to post for a client, shot recently. I struggled for the firsts to days, not able to get in the swing.Finally, on Weds.  I sat myself down in front of the computer and forced myself to work.  I still got sidetracked ( and I suppose I will continue) trying to keep up with the news and venting here. Hopefully today I can put in a good eight or nine hours and make a dent.  I need to deliver these by Monday, even if things close. The customer was still open this week, I dont know about next. We are scheduied to be back there to shoot again on Mar. 30-31 and April 2-3.  If things are still open I'll have to decline at this point.  Im not one to leave money on the table but in this case its different.

But back to topic, music helped me while doing post.  It kept my mind from wandering.  Trying to stay away from the news might help too, but I'm a sucker for news. Its finally not raining here today so I'll get out withthe dogs for a walk and maybe wander the yard a bit.

Its going to take a different mindset to move forward now, at least until this thing lifts.  I have no idea when that happens.  We got the first two cases in out county today, so its real for us now.

Good luck, Craig - I know it's hard.   I've got client work stacked up as well, and I just can't get my mind to lock in on it.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 09:50:50 am »

You do beautiful work.  The book will be gorgeous.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:03 am »

Good luck, Craig - I know it's hard.   I've got client work stacked up as well, and I just can't get my mind to lock in on it.

My stuff seems so pointless to me right now.  I can't image my imges will have much impact selling high end mothorhomes in the short term.  Now I'm sure the client thinks otherwise, but I fear this industry isin for a hard time this season.
Craig Lamson Photo

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 10:42:41 am »

Thank you Alan.

You do beautiful work.  The book will be gorgeous.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 01:49:43 pm »

My stuff seems so pointless to me right now.  I can't image my imges will have much impact selling high end mothorhomes in the short term.  Now I'm sure the client thinks otherwise, but I fear this industry isin for a hard time this season.
Craig, You have to do better work than ever and sell it to the manufacturers that it will help them sell their products in lean times.  Show families living together in their RV's to save money, cooking and playing Monopoly, with kids doing their homework.  Come up with ideas with your clients that shows more than picture taking, as good as your work is.  Sell them something more than others can sell.  Help them find an angle. Maybe they'll hire you as a consultant.  When you stuck with lemons, make lemonade. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 04:43:41 pm »

Friday night, time to chill out over all this!
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Craig Lamson

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:56 pm »

Craig, You have to do better work than ever and sell it to the manufacturers that it will help them sell their products in lean times.  Show families living together in their RV's to save money, cooking and playing Monopoly, with kids doing their homework.  Come up with ideas with your clients that shows more than picture taking, as good as your work is.  Sell them something more than others can sell.  Help them find an angle. Maybe they'll hire you as a consultant.  When you stuck with lemons, make lemonade.

Last time the rv market tanked they did just the opposite and quit buying photography and advertising.  If the buyers are cash poor , nothing moves them to buy something they don’t really need.   It’s not like some of these guys are marketing wizzes.  The cut advertising when things are bad because they don’t want to spend.  They cut advertising when things are good because they are selling everything they can build.  They grudgingly spend in the middle because of competition.  It drives my agency buddies bonkers.

Even the high end stuff drops to nothing when there is a market crash.  When a unit costs 750,000 or more, a bad portfolio balance is a deal breaker.

The rv industry is a great indicator.  One of the first to fall as things turn down and one of the first to rise as things get better.
Craig Lamson Photo

Peter McLennan

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 08:00:13 pm »

Photography wise I'm catching up on creating some coffee table books from the last few years of travel.

Good on ya.  I did three in the last year.  Very satisfying.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 08:16:51 pm »

I'm curious about outdoor full moon urban photography, except I keep missing the full moons, or it's cloudy, or really really cold, or I am glued to a book.

The other night, I stepped outside with my phone and shot this hand-held.  Google Pixel 3XL
It was cold, but I was grateful I didn't have to set up my Nikon and tripod.  I was done in less than a minute.
Yes, it's a bit noisy.  But I did get the shot.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:37 pm »

Last time the rv market tanked they did just the opposite and quit buying photography and advertising.  If the buyers are cash poor , nothing moves them to buy something they don’t really need.   It’s not like some of these guys are marketing wizzes.  The cut advertising when things are bad because they don’t want to spend.  They cut advertising when things are good because they are selling everything they can build.  They grudgingly spend in the middle because of competition.  It drives my agency buddies bonkers.

Even the high end stuff drops to nothing when there is a market crash.  When a unit costs 750,000 or more, a bad portfolio balance is a deal breaker.

The rv industry is a great indicator.  One of the first to fall as things turn down and one of the first to rise as things get better.
Well, your pictures make the RC's very desirable and comfortable.  I love the outdoor scenes out the windows.  They're like a travelogue. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 11:04:11 pm »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 11:30:03 pm »

I decided to write more serious articles:

https://luminous-landscape.com/reduce-load-and-travel-lighter/
Well, I for one am glad I read it.  I've been trying to lose weight and found I already lost three pounds since reading your article.  Thanks for the tips. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up