Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace Color Tool Photoshop giving different colour  (Read 814 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Replace Color Tool Photoshop giving different colour
« on: March 19, 2020, 03:32:43 am »

Hi,
I am trying to use the Replace Color Tool in Photoshop 21.1.1 to change the background colour on a set of bag shots.
The background is currently R219 G217 B202 (yellowish) and I need to change it to 210,210,210 which is a light grey.
I select Image / Adjustments / Replace Color and click on the background and it is perfectly selected.

I click on the Result color and the color picker comes up and I dial in 210, 210,210.

The Color Picker shows the correct colour grey and the Result Color also shows the correct colour grey but the background is clearly pink.

Any clues to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Replace Color Tool Photoshop giving different colour
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 05:47:04 am »

Maybe it ony looks that way next to the yellowish colour.
just use it and see what happens.
BTW why not use curves and colour it all a bit more blue?
Or is the background really yellow?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 12:12:13 pm »

It sure does look pink.  Does the picker confirm it? 
No idea why if that is so, so perhaps just make a selection, then as above, use curves or fill to change the colour.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 04:41:46 pm »

Hi,
I am trying to use the Replace Color Tool in Photoshop 21.1.1 to change the background colour on a set of bag shots.
The background is currently R219 G217 B202 (yellowish) and I need to change it to 210,210,210 which is a light grey.
I select Image / Adjustments / Replace Color and click on the background and it is perfectly selected.

I click on the Result color and the color picker comes up and I dial in 210, 210,210.

The Color Picker shows the correct colour grey and the Result Color also shows the correct colour grey but the background is clearly pink.

Any clues to what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Interestingly your preview shows the replaced gray background too.  So why is it not showing up in the layer...you haven't changed the opacity by mistake by any chance?

Or may be not.  The source color does not look pink to me either in the color picker "current" block. Shouldn't that look like the background in the picture?  It is confusing to me. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:45:17 pm by nirpat89 »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 05:43:14 pm »

Thanks for the responses. In summary:
The yellowish background was originally inserted to replace shadows, props, supporting arms etc, so it is a constant colour 219,217,202 and easy to select.
The customer wants it changed to 210,210,210 as it is too yellow.
I need to create a reusable action for this as there are 600 bags.
I need to change a colour exactly so things like curves are out I think.

I have just "upgraded" Photoshop so maybe it is a preference problem or similar.

I attach a better screen capture.
The RGB values confirm that the wall has changed to pink 215,201,201 as shown in the Info Panel. The pointer is not shown but is over the background.

The Preview is turned on so what is seen should be the output and it is showing pink, the source is showing the current and the Result is showing the desired, but the Preview is showing something else confirmed by the RGB values being shown in the Info panel.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:47:58 pm by BobShaw »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:20:26 am »

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the numbers work, but I think you can just drag the Saturation slider to zero. In this example I have a single layer filled with your yellow, then used Replace Color on the right hand side.

Does that help, at least with one image? I presume you only have the flattened versions of the 600 files but an up-to-date way of doing this would be with a linked smart object. So in each file the product is cut out on its own layer and sits above a background layer which is an LSO that was inserted using File > Place Linked. This links to an external file which might be all yellow or whatever, so editing this file once would apply to all the photos - though you'd still have to open them and refresh the link. There might be other ways of approaching it, but that's what I might try if I had a clean start.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:27:24 am by john beardsworth »

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:53:20 pm »

Alternative method. Since you have clean edges between subject and background, select the background, open a hue/saturation adjustment layer (the selection will become a layer mask), and desaturate. Or tick "Colorize" and adjust color to whatever you want.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:44 pm »

Alternative method. Since you have clean edges between subject and background, select the background, open a hue/saturation adjustment layer (the selection will become a layer mask), and desaturate. Or tick "Colorize" and adjust color to whatever you want.
Thanks Peano.
I have made an Action that does similar using the Foreground Colour Picker. I can then look at it and confirm before clicking another Action that flattens and saves. About 10 Secs per shot.
Seems to work.
Methods using desaturation would have worked with 210,210,210 but now we are going to use a non neutral colour. This method works with anything.
So the conclusion is that the Replace Colour Tool does not work, at least for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up