Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vellum paper for inkjet printing  (Read 449 times)

PhR

Vellum paper for inkjet printing
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:31:41 am »

I've a project of printing some photographies on a translucent / vellum paper so that it can be pasted on another image underneath. I will exhibit this in a gallery and hopefully I will sell some. Therefore I am looking for a paper that has a good permanence. I use an Epson 3880.

So far I've done tests with the Strathmore Vellum inkjet sheets and the Clearprint drafting and design vellum. The Starthmore has a 'plastic' aspect but it is more transparent and has a good dMax. Unfortunately it is sold in letter size only. It is acide and lignin free but is that enough ? The Clearprint is 100% cotton but it more opaque it produces mottling and the dMax is bad.

Does anybody have any suggestion that I could try ?
Do you think that applying a varnish can improve the transparency of the Clearprint ? I have ordered some Breathing color Timeless varnish to try but any feedback or advice is welcome.

Thanks.

I.T. Supplies

Re: Vellum paper for inkjet printing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:11 am »

A liquid varnish may not be a good idea with paper that thin as it may over power the paper from the thickness of the coating itself.  A spray would be better since it's light and would just lay down on it; not adding weight.

There are some translucent rolls available from HP that would be another option.  But, you probably have a handful of papers available in this category to test and see what works best for you.  The down side is that there may not be proper samples to see, but some brands (like OEM or fine art companies) have swatch books (if no sample packs) so you can at least see/feel the product or even apply a coating to test, but can't really print due to the size.

Others may have additional options or feedback regarding this media and process, but this is my feedback about the paper and coating.

PhR

Re: Vellum paper for inkjet printing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:37:22 am »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to get the HP Translucent Bond Paper here in France. For the vanish, following your advice I will try spray and liquid vanish to see what gives  the best results.
The Awagami inkjet papers I tried are not translucent enough. I am trying various other low weight (uncoated) Washi papers to see which one can be appropriate but so far the results are pretty bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up