Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Weather Protection  (Read 6950 times)

D. King

Cold Weather Protection
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:28:56 pm »

I've lost one lens to fungus and hope not to lose another.  I'm taking my 5D with its Canon 24-105 to Toronto (hi Michael) for the Christmas holidays and am looking for hints as to how to baby both through rapid and extreme changes in temp.

I know about putting the camera and lens in an airtight bag until they either warm up or cool down, but I'm talking about walking around outside then jumping in a warm car or hitting a restaurant for a coffee to warm up.  The sealed bag technique is just not practical under these circumstances.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 07:23:17 pm »

ZIPLOC storage bags are cheap, effective, and readily available. Or just put your gear in a decent camera bag and don't get it out until it has acclimated. Even a lens cap will do wonders.

francois

Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 04:20:37 am »

I've lost one lens to fungus and hope not to lose another.  I'm taking my 5D with its Canon 24-105 to Toronto (hi Michael) for the Christmas holidays and am looking for hints as to how to baby both through rapid and extreme changes in temp.

I know about putting the camera and lens in an airtight bag until they either warm up or cool down, but I'm talking about walking around outside then jumping in a warm car or hitting a restaurant for a coffee to warm up.  The sealed bag technique is just not practical under these circumstances. 

Any thoughts?  Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88299\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use a conventional - padded- camera bag and put my gear in it before I reach warm temperatures. If the bag is cold then you'll have no problem. If I stay outside for a long time, I simply put my gear in a small garbage bag or ziploc and then in my camera bag.
Francois

michael

Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 08:29:50 am »

If it gets cold enough in Toronto at Christmas to require such precautions I'm moving to Florida.

Michael

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 03:26:31 pm »

Cute, Michael...

We moved from Ontario's 'Near North' last January to Kelowna, BC.  We have more snow on the ground now than they've had in the past three years combined.  Even Prince Rupert is several degrees warmer than here!  I hope the gods are having a good chuckle about this...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:50:59 pm »

If it gets cold enough in Toronto at Christmas to require such precautions I'm moving to Florida.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm really looking forward to the Florida issue of the LLVJ, the one featuring 'gator wrestling and shuffleboard.    

-Eric
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 04:51:29 pm by EricM »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jani

• Øyet
Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:52:29 pm »

There doesn't seem to be much of a risk for that, if temperatures in Oslo are any indication on global climate (yeah, yeah, I know they aren't, but ...).

We're having unseasonally high temperatures, right now it's almost midnight, and it's still 7.5 degrees C outside. Argh! Where's my snow?!

Bonus: I don't have to worry much about condensation.
Jan

michael

Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 07:16:13 pm »

Don't forget the "early bird special".

Michael

D. King

Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:48:23 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

While you're heading down there I'll be heading up from California.  You can take the boy out of Toronto but you can't take the Toronto out of the boy.

dobson

• http://
Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 06:16:55 pm »

How often is condensation a problem when you shoot in the cold? Is it caused just by temp changes, or does it require unusually high humidity. I ask because I have been taking my canera out ice-climbing and I want to do all I can to reduce condensation problems. So far I have been letting it acclimate in its case in the pack, and then taking everything apart to let it dry at home.

Is there anything else I should keep into account when operating in severe cold?

Thanks,
Phillip

p.s. Sorry about the warm temps down there in Norway. Here in Montana we're having the best ice season in a decade.

howiesmith

Cold Weather Protection
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 07:07:00 pm »

How often is condensation a problem when you shoot in the cold? Is it caused just by temp changes, or does it require unusually high humidity. I ask because I have been taking my canera out ice-climbing and I want to do all I can to reduce condensation problems. So far I have been letting it acclimate in its case in the pack, and then taking everything apart to let it dry at home.

Is there anything else I should keep into account when operating in severe cold?
Thanks,
Phillip
p.s. Sorry about the warm temps down there in Norway. Here in Montana we're having the best ice season in a decade.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=88667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When the equipment's temperature is below the ambient dew point, condensation can happen.  Equipment temperature approaches outside te,perature.  Dew point temperture should be the indoor dew point.

The opposite can happen.  Very hot and humid outside and lots of refrigerated air inside.  Cold glass going out into hot and humid and condensation happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up