Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Advice for Antarctica  (Read 1977 times)

BradSmith

Camera Advice for Antarctica
« on: March 16, 2020, 02:14:14 pm »

A 75 year old woman friend is going to Antarctica in 7 months and wants camera advice.  She's never really been into photography. Goal is "some good pictures that I can print and frame on the walls."  And "not too big and heavy".   I'm thinking that her best option is a 1" sensor camera with long zoom range.  Either a  "compact travel camera" or a bridge camera.  Something like 24-300mm or so range.  Seems like Sony or Panasonic are the choices.

What do you think?  Can either of these classes take the potential cold weather?  And is anything in these classes water resistent or waterproof?  Any other ideas?
thanks

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Camera Advice for Antarctica
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 03:18:48 pm »

The Sony Rx10iv is a lovely camera, not terribly heavy, with a 24-600 zoom. When I was there a couple of years ago, I found I used the 100-400 zoom on my Canon more than any other lens, and I'd have loved the extra 200mm.

I expect it would be fine in the cold; she'd be well advised to take a spare battery. I don't know about its weather sealing, though.

Jeremy

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:41:49 pm »

We bought one of the early Sony RX10 versions for our social media director. Pretty sure it had a "24-200" f/2.8 lens. Worked very well for someone who needs decent photos but isn't much interested in carrying extra lenses or a big camera bag. The more recent versions, with very long zooms, seem ideal for this sort of trip. I doubt you'll find any sort of weather resistance, though I might be surprised.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 06:27:50 am »

Nikon Z7 and 24-200.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:30 am »

A 75 year old woman friend is going to Antarctica in 7 months and wants camera advice.  She's never really been into photography. Goal is "some good pictures that I can print and frame on the walls."  And "not too big and heavy".   I'm thinking that her best option is a 1" sensor camera with long zoom range.  Either a  "compact travel camera" or a bridge camera.  Something like 24-300mm or so range.  Seems like Sony or Panasonic are the choices.

What do you think?  Can either of these classes take the potential cold weather?  And is anything in these classes water resistent or waterproof?  Any other ideas?
thanks

I admire her sense of optimism!

Rob

RichDesmond

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 07:02:45 pm »

The wife has a Panasonic ZS100 that works well. Very compact, good stabilization, decent images. Small and compact, which if I had to guess will be very important to her.
If she’s more demanding about image quality and would carry a bigger outfit, then a m4/3 setup with the Oly 12-100 and whatever WR body she liked. (I’m partial to the GX8, but there are other good choices)

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 10:12:15 pm »

+1 on the RX10 recommendation.  Neither big nor heavy, it punches far above its weight in both stills and video.  The Mark IV version is definitely 600mm equivalent.

Petrus

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 02:44:33 pm »

+1 on the RX10 recommendation.  Neither big nor heavy, it punches far above its weight in both stills and video.  The Mark IV version is definitely 600mm equivalent.

Yes, yes. I have the mark III version and the Mark IV is even better what comes to electronics and video. The lens is actually quite amazing, 600mm f/4 (equivalent of course) in a small, light and cheap package. And the lens is truly good.

The only problem remaining is teaching her to use it, and understand what the controls mean.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 08:39:36 pm »

The only problem remaining is teaching her to use it, and understand what the controls mean.

It performs well even on full auto mode.  A few weeks practice before departure would be a good idea.

There are some excellent tutorials and reviews online.  This guy is clear and apparently (relatively) unbiased.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MaarTech/search?query=RX+10

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 05:55:19 am »

It performs well even on full auto mode.

True. But often the controls (focus to manual, some strange shooting mode etc) get turned inadvertently and then it does not work as it should and a beginner is at loss as to what to do. This should be practised also, not just aiming and zooming.

I mean, I know...

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:09 am »

The Sony Rx10iv is a lovely camera, not terribly heavy, with a 24-600 zoom. When I was there a couple of years ago, I found I used the 100-400 zoom on my Canon more than any other lens, and I'd have loved the extra 200mm.

I expect it would be fine in the cold; she'd be well advised to take a spare battery. I don't know about its weather sealing, though.

Jeremy

I took the Sony Rx10iv to Newfoundland a couple of years ago. I used an external battery, a Mophie battery, worn inside my coat, and connected to the camera with a micro USB cord. One full charge of the mophie lasted more than the five weeks I was there. A great setup

Petrus

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2020, 06:31:54 am »

Couple of birds photographed with RX10Mk3:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63930014

All with the longest focal length, slightly cropped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up