Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR's revolting color palette for 5D Mark IV. Are there any fixes available?  (Read 937 times)

dreed

Now that I know what's going on, for sunsets that I'm shooting, in certain circumstances the color being rendered by LR 2015.12 is nothing short of disgusting.

I touched on the problem here:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=133782.0

My problem is that so much of my workflow is based around LR, I'm not sure what to do. The easiest was if there was a known way to fix the colors rendered by LR in those gamut edge cases.

For other applications, Raw Therapee is massively complex and requires more time than I have available to get the most out of an image. Other alternatives?

To demonstrate the carnage that LR is undertaking here, here are two screen captures. The first is when LR loads the preview JPEG out of the CR2 file. The second is after LR has finished loading and rendering the raw content.

LR drains the life and soul out of the image. What's left is flat out disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:04:19 am by dreed »

jrsforums

What color profiles have you tried?  What adjustments? Etc.?

If you want PhD (Push here Dummy) processing, use the jpeg.  😀
John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I see no carnage, I see differing rendering which are subjective. One allows you to control it massively and therefore you should do so. One doesn't and if you prefer that, then let the camera make such decisions.
You can and should consider custom camera profiles or more, custom presets for initial rendering you subjectively prefer as a starting or perhaps finishing point. LR and most raw converters provide that functionality but they don't read your mind, you have to create them.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

smahn

Yes there are fixes. Have you considered learning how to use the import and develop modules, to set camera profiles an presets, to get what you want from the product?

pluton

Yes there are fixes. Have you considered learning how to use the import and develop modules, to set camera profiles an presets, to get what you want from the product?
Pick a shot, adjust the color to your preferred style, create a User Preset, next time Import using that particular User Preset.  You'll probably fine-tune that preset about 10 times before you settle on it, or you might end up creating several User Presets along the way.

kimballistic

revolting

disgusting

carnage

LR 2015.12

You still have a lot to learn about processing raw files before you can pass this kind of judgment, especially if this thread and the one you linked to represents the state of your knowledge after using Lightroom for at least the past 4-5 years.  You got some useful answers in the previous thread that pointed you in a few good directions.  You appear to have ignored them and stopped responding.  That's a shame.

Read up on color profiles: creating your own, using Adobe's, and using Adobe's camera-matching profiles.  Read up on default develop settings.  Read up on JPG previews that cameras embed in their raw files and how they obviously will differ from the rendering a 3rd-party tool can provide.  Read up on how to actually process a raw file, including achieving your desired colors (ever use HSL? or even the saturation slider?), rather than just opening it and then looking at your screen in frustration.  Hint: viewing it in RawDigger (!) and then wanting to export that rendering is not "working" on a photo.

Do your homework and stop hysterically blaming your tools please!

Sounds like you could use some instruction that's beyond what a forum can provide.  LuLa's own Michael Reichmann did an excellent LR video tutorial with Jeff Schewe back in the day.  George Jardine also has an excellent Develop panel tutorial series.

And if you still really passionately prefer the camera-generated JPG preview embedded in your raw files, you might just want to shoot JPG from now on.  Not trying to be snarky.  Just keeping it real.

E. Dinur

Quote:

LR 2015.12

If that is indeed 2015.12, the subscription version, then the first thing you should do is to update your LR Classic to the current 9.2, because you have been paying for nearly three years of updates without receiving them. If, OTOH, it is actually LR 6, you should update to 6.14.

FabienP

Maybe this is the last supported version by the operating system in use... Time to upgrade!

Cheers,

Fabien
Pages: [1]   Go Up