Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO and the Fuji Sensor  (Read 4105 times)

praja343

DxO and the Fuji Sensor
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:47:16 am »

I have heard that DxO's optimization and raw conversion and processing are targeted to the "standard" Bayer array configuration and Fuji's arrays cannot benefit from some of DxO's capabilities. While some cameras directly output to DNG (e.g. Leica), even the latest Fujis like the X-T4 still output to the proprietary raw format. If I convert a Fuji RAW file to DNG, and then try the processing in DxO, does the conversion to DNG overcome the lack of DxO's lack of features for the Fuji sensor or does the DNG conversion negate any of the inbuilt advantages of the Fuji sensor and thus I am back to square one regarding the completeness of features available in DxO to apply to a Fuji RAW image?
Putting it another way, by converting the Fuji raw image using Adobe's DNG converter and then using DxO, will I do as well on the processing optimization capabilities of DxO and overcome the shortcomings of directly using the DxO software on a Fuji raw file?
Thanks for potential responses.

rdonson

Re: DxO and the Fuji Sensor
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:51:55 pm »

So.... you're hoping that Adobe does a good job of demosaicing a Fuji RAW file.  Adobe is not the best at demosaicing Fuji X-Trans files. It depends on what you're after though.  Adobe does OK if you're not looking for great detail.  Depending on the image it might be ok but its not great.  I recommend Iridient X-Transformer or Iridient Developer for demosaicing X-Trans file.. 

https://www.iridientdigital.com

I've been using Fuji X cameras since the X-T1.  I use Photoshop and Lightroom from Adobe.  They have improved their demosaicing of X-Trans files over the last few years but Iridient still beats them.   

Regards,
Ron

IanSeward

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 05:15:18 am »

I have heard that DxO's optimization and raw conversion and processing are targeted to the "standard" Bayer array configuration and Fuji's arrays cannot benefit from some of DxO's capabilities. While some cameras directly output to DNG (e.g. Leica), even the latest Fujis like the X-T4 still output to the proprietary raw format. If I convert a Fuji RAW file to DNG, and then try the processing in DxO, does the conversion to DNG overcome the lack of DxO's lack of features for the Fuji sensor or does the DNG conversion negate any of the inbuilt advantages of the Fuji sensor and thus I am back to square one regarding the completeness of features available in DxO to apply to a Fuji RAW image?
Putting it another way, by converting the Fuji raw image using Adobe's DNG converter and then using DxO, will I do as well on the processing optimization capabilities of DxO and overcome the shortcomings of directly using the DxO software on a Fuji raw file?
Thanks for potential responses.

DXO only support DNG from camera they already support.  DXO's unique technologies like PRIME noise reduction can't be used on X-Trans sensors because they process the raw data before demosaicing to an RGB image. DXO have always stated categorically that they cannot support X-Trans files for this reason. However, recently on the DXO user forums a staff member said that with advances in technology support for X-Trans is becoming a possibility. No time frame was indicated and there is obviously a great deal of work involved but at least they are now saying support may come at some time in the future.

Ian

praja343

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 09:43:46 am »

Ron, Ian:
Thanks for the responses. I will download the Iridient and check it out. Hope DxO speeds up the process to include the X-Trans sensor. X-T4 looks awesome.

praja343

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 10:14:16 am »

Ron, Ian:
From both your replies I gather that even if one uses Iriedient for DNG conversion and DxO on that DNG, since DxO processes the raw data BEFORE de-mosaicing, that data would be absent in the Iriedient DNG so it is best to wait for DxO to put the X Trans sensor features in place; using DxO on a X Trans DNG converted using Iridient still has similar issues to that using an Adobe DNG converter?
May be a moot point and I may still use Camera RAW and PS like Ron but wanted to clarify.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 11:22:47 am »

The only DXO products I use are the Nik Collection they bought from Google.  I get to them from Lr and PS. 

I gave up on DXO several years ago.  They stated repeatedly they wouldn't spend the time or money to support X-Trans.  That's fine as I didn't see any of their offerings being better or more desirable than what I had.

For me personally, I wouldn't waste time on their DXO Photo Lab.  Its your choice and you may find their products useful.   

Other software I use on occasions: Luminar 4, Photomatix Pro 6 and Pixelmator Pro.
Regards,
Ron

NAwlins_Contrarian

DxO won't work that way
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 05:58:35 pm »

I gather that even if one uses Iriedient for DNG conversion and DxO on that DNG, since DxO processes the raw data BEFORE de-mosaicing, that data would be absent in the Iriedient DNG so it is best to wait for DxO to put the X Trans sensor features in place; using DxO on a X Trans DNG converted using Iridient still has similar issues to that using an Adobe DNG converter?

Even if you use other software to convert a raw file to a DNG, DxO PhotoLab 3 will not even open the DNG unless DxO supports that camera's native raw files. So for example if you take a Fuji X-T4 raw file, convert it to a DNG in Adobe or Iridient or whatever other software, and then try to open that DNG in PhotoLab 3, it will not open. The only way you can edit an image from an unsupported camera in DxO is to use other software to convert it to a TIFF or JPEG--and then of course you can't, e.g., use DxO Prime noise reduction.

FWIW, of current-ish Fuji cameras, DxO PhotoLab only supports a few: the X-A5, X-T100, GFX-50S, GFX-50R, and GFX-100, with support for the X-T200 due in June 2020. You can check by going to https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/supported-cameras/ and searching for Fuji.

praja343

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 12:52:11 pm »

Thanks NAW ..... precisely what i was looking for. I guess the X-T200 has a "regular" Bayer array sensor.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 04:31:27 pm »

I can confirm DXO Photolab supports the Fuji GFX 50R and the 4 lenses I have: 23mm, 50mm, 32-64mm and 100-200mm. It does an excellent job. What I do not know is how the program uses lens correction profiles. Fuji builds them into the RAW file, and I know Adobe Camera Raw uses the built in profiles. DXO is known for their excellent lens corrections (I have been using them for years). Does DXO ignore the built in Fuji corrections and use their own? Or do they use the Fuji profiles? Either way the DXO processed Fuji GFX files are excellent.
Thanks
Dave in NJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up