Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corona on Camera Sales  (Read 1359 times)

Rob C

Corona on Camera Sales
« on: March 10, 2020, 03:36:30 pm »

I was wondering if the economic consequences of the virus, as it hit China, will lead to an accelerated decline in camera sales due to lost production and difficulties arising from spare bits etc. encouraging inertia and fading spur-of-the-moment impulse-buying of photographic equipment.

I sometimes feel the urge to buy something, and then by the time tomorrow arrives, I have either forgotten all about it or decided it wasn't that important anyway. My danger zone is at night if I end up looking at Amazon's book section; fortunately, I tend to get over that temptation these days - or nights - as I find fewer and fewer books I'd want to own, and sitting in the office, the lack of shelf storage is patent, forcing me to wonder which tome a new face would relegate to the cupboards in the spare bedroom.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Corona on Camera Sales
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 05:40:29 am »

The consequences of Covid 19 virus will obviously be felt worldwide throughout all markets.

I've never made or have even been tempted to make a spur-of-the-moment camera related purchase, but in any case the effects of the spread of the virus on the camera market is of comparative insignificance.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 10:00:57 am »

The consequences of Covid 19 virus will obviously be felt worldwide throughout all markets.

I've never made or have even been tempted to make a spur-of-the-moment camera related purchase, but in any case the effects of the spread of the virus on the camera market is of comparative insignificance.

As amateur, I have been tempted to make such ill-considered purchases.

My seldom used, excellent D700 is one such. It hardly sees the light of day: the old D200, with 1.8/50 G Nikkor its almost constant companion, would appear to do all the lifting - heavy or light. As pro, I never, ever bought anything that didn't have an immediate application to my work. I also made stuff myself - an advantage of years spent as a mech. eng. apprentice before shifting across to photography.

;-(

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 10:09:30 am »

As amateur, I have been tempted to make such ill-considered purchases.

My seldom used, excellent D700 is one such. It hardly sees the light of day: the old D200, with 1.8/50 G Nikkor its almost constant companion, would appear to do all the lifting - heavy or light. As pro, I never, ever bought anything that didn't have an immediate application to my work. I also made stuff myself - an advantage of years spent as a mech. eng. apprentice before shifting across to photography.

;-(

Ditto.

Thankfully my considered buying habits followed me into 'retirement'.

;-)

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 01:14:30 pm »

It'll be interesting on what shows up in the used market. New cameras are all about parts, used cameras are all about finances.  At what point will folks feel pressured to sell off some of their redundant gear.
t: @PNWMF

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:18:23 am »

I was speaking to another photographer last week, and he got an email from Profoto saying they were having a sale on B1s.  He thought the price would even go lower in another two months due to this. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 10:23:21 am »

We are already seeing people unloading equipment at very low prices. A boxed like new Sony GM 100 to 400 for $900. A Sony A9 also super clean for $700. I expect to see a lot more of this.  A friend who deals n second hand equipment had 52 calls in one day people looking to unload gear.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up