Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Continued projector woes  (Read 423 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Continued projector woes
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:00:35 am »

I think I have asked about this before but at the club we have a good quality Canon projector. Last evening the projector (or maybe software) really did some images no favours at all. Some were overly flat, some were overly contrasty which seems like quite an achievement really if it's the projector.

We are required to submit JPEG images to 1400x1050 max and that's about it.

I'm wondering if the issue is in fact in the way the images have been processed to JPEG as one very precise member was happy with his images and I was pretty much Ok with mine. He uses a Mac and I'm quite careful on a PC with Affinity. However, two other members who are very fastidious in their PP were quite rightly very unhappy with their images which were very garish by their standards.

I confess I have no idea if colour space is relevant here. Should we specify sRGB or something to at least get some consistency?

What is the Color Representation in a JPEG file?

My solution would be to get another projector but apparently the club can't afford one.

Can anyone offer any insights please?

Mike

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Continued projector woes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:02:27 am »

jpeg is OK as long it is a high grade jpeg- not much compressed. also a good idea is to make the jpegs fit on the screen
If the projector does 1400x1050px - feed it with the same size jpegs.

It may be a good thing to choose one colorspace for all photos projected and also to find out what colorspace works best.
( if your projector is not colorspace aware the adobe RGB's look flatter than the one in sRGB)

To do that just make a serial of photos that you know they look good and process them as sRGB and Adobe RGB and project them after each other:
select the best colorspace and try to set the projector so the photos look best.
Tell everybody that they should bring high quality jpeg slides with the same size ( projector) in the chosen colorspace.

having said that; projected images always look flatter than on on screen. The screen/wall that you use for projection is another thing that is a point of attention.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 06:07:15 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 12:16:20 pm »

IF it is a single TLP filter wheel, it's not good quality for images.
https://www.colorlightoutput.com
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 03:06:58 pm »

Thanks guys, this is something we have to sort out.

Additionally I now have access to two images that were ruined by projection and they are both just fine as expected on my calibrated screen. The only difference I can see so far is that these images have sRGB space and mine have unknown so presumably not sRGB.

I guess I should rework one of mine to be sRGB and see what effect it has.

Mike

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:16:26 am »

I think I have asked about this before but at the club we have a good quality Canon projector. Last evening the projector (or maybe software) really did some images no favours at all. Some were overly flat, some were overly contrasty which seems like quite an achievement really if it's the projector.

We are required to submit JPEG images to 1400x1050 max and that's about it.

I'm wondering if the issue is in fact in the way the images have been processed to JPEG as one very precise member was happy with his images and I was pretty much Ok with mine. He uses a Mac and I'm quite careful on a PC with Affinity. However, two other members who are very fastidious in their PP were quite rightly very unhappy with their images which were very garish by their standards.

I confess I have no idea if colour space is relevant here. Should we specify sRGB or something to at least get some consistency?

What is the Color Representation in a JPEG file?

My solution would be to get another projector but apparently the club can't afford one.

Can anyone offer any insights please?

Mike

An important consideration is what software is used to project the images and is it color managed.

Our own club was using locally developed software which was not color managed and we had problems with images encoded with ProphotoRGB. These images looked severely unsaturated. Like most commonly used projectors, ours has a gamut similar to sRGB and images encoded with sRGB project well. AdobeRGB images without color management are affected to a lesser degree. Color management was implemented in our software and images in ProphotoRGB now project normally.

Of course there is no advantage in using ProphotoRGB with an sRGB output device and out of gamut colors will be clipped. However, some of our members use ProphotoRGB as their master color space. We specify sRGB but not everyone will follow instructions and the addition of color management to our software helps to avoid problems.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up