Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop and bad memory usage  (Read 1540 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
Photoshop and bad memory usage
« on: March 07, 2020, 09:15:13 am »

In another post about computers I read that people need much more than 32 GB ram to do their work.

I just did some simple batch action in the latest photoshop CC version 21 on a Mac;
I made 200 jpegs half the size and saved them.

How much ram do you need for that action?: the original jpeg is 30 mb the resulting about 3mb - say 35mb total per image;  200 images is 7gig ram
Have you saved one you can delete the used RAM...so 4GB would be enough for this action.
Well ... not for photoshop.
Photoshop 21 ( and 19 and 20)  uses 25GIG of ram and counting. It saves everything in RAM; the more images in the batch the more it saves. Performance degrades at the end of the batch with 25% because of Ram shortage (have 32Gig)
So people doing a lot of batch actions with even larger images need LOADS of RAM - just because of the inefficiency of the program.

The only way to free the RAM is to quit the program.

Photoshop CS6- uses RAM far more efficient, only after some time (about 5 or 10 minutes) the batch stops/crashes the computer... being not made for High Sierra.

Maybe the photoshop-people should talk to the Lightroom-people about this- they seem to know how to use the RAM, the CPU and the GPU more efficient.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:22:48 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Redcrown

Re: Photoshop and bad memory usage
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »

My Windows 10 machine has only 16gb. My biggest images are 30.1 megapixels. I have no memory problems using Bridge+ACR+Photoshop.

You say "I made 200 jpegs half the size and saved them." We are not sure how you did that, but it looks like you used the Batch Process inside Photoshop? Don't do that. There are better ways. Use the Image Processor. Or just use ACR. Open 200 jpegs in ACR, click "Save Images", set your options and go. Or do it all within Lightroom.

I regularly process 200+ images to create downsized jpegs from TIFs for web posting. No memory problems like you describe.

Even the old, antiquated Batch Process in Photoshop has no problems like you describe on my Windows machine. Maybe a Mac only problem?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 06:56:00 pm »

My Windows 10 machine has only 16gb. My biggest images are 30.1 megapixels. I have no memory problems using Bridge+ACR+Photoshop.

You say "I made 200 jpegs half the size and saved them." We are not sure how you did that, but it looks like you used the Batch Process inside Photoshop? Don't do that. ...
I regularly process 200+ images to create downsized jpegs from TIFs for web posting. No memory problems like you describe.

Even the old, antiquated Batch Process in Photoshop has no problems like you describe on my Windows machine. Maybe a Mac only problem?...

This is not about the best way how to make 200 jpegs smaller... (btw the image processor is a prefabricated batch process)
The basic problem is that Photoshop eats memory and does not let it go....Maybe a Mac Problem... could be.
The antiquated batch process? how do you mean? is there something new that replaces it?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:21:43 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

vikcious

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 03:16:15 am »

So people doing a lot of batch actions with even larger images need LOADS of RAM - just because of the inefficiency of the program.

... not a wise remark to make. I wish your PS would start swapping to disk and then you'll see inefficiency! Not sure what people imagine about loading tons of info in a program for processing and expecting the program to hid it under the carpet, still work flawlessly and pretend nothing happend. We're living in the age of digital hypocrisy...  :-X
|| One screw-up is a mistake, two screw-ups is a trend, three screw-ups is a style ||

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 05:28:36 am »

... not a wise remark to make. I wish your PS would start swapping to disk and then you'll see inefficiency! Not sure what people imagine about loading tons of info in a program for processing and expecting the program to hid it under the carpet, still work flawlessly and pretend nothing happend. We're living in the age of digital hypocrisy...  :-X
What are you talking about?
I just see that photoshop uses loads of memory without any purpose but collecting it.
where is the hypocrisy? stay cool!
you should say:  loading one image at the time and saving it - so it can be released from RAM- but it doesn't.
Photohops CS6 does release the memory as well as Lightroom that never uses more than about 12GIG no matter how much photos i work on.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:22:09 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 12:45:01 pm »

Have you tried PS 21.1.0????
Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 01:40:16 pm »

See my first post...

I use the latest and also have some old ones that behave the same. Then i have good old CS6 that works better (but crashes)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:32:59 pm »

Your post said you used PS 21

I asked if you tried PS 21.1.  That’s the latest.  You either haven’t tried 21.1 or you have.  It’s not a trick question.
Regards,
Ron

vikcious

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 04:02:57 am »

I just see that photoshop uses loads of memory without any purpose but collecting it.
Sorry, you've brought the level of this discussion this low, not me! :(
|| One screw-up is a mistake, two screw-ups is a trend, three screw-ups is a style ||

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 04:49:28 am »

Your post said you used PS 21

I asked if you tried PS 21.1.  That’s the latest.  You either haven’t tried 21.1 or you have.  It’s not a trick question.
the latest = 21.1.0 it says.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 07:57:01 pm »

I thought to put Affinity Photo to the test:

Photoshop : 42 max jpeg/minute slowing to 29 /minute -  using all my RAM (32Gb) upto it needs a scratchdisk - using 300%  of processor power ( 300% of max 2000%)

Affinity photo : 115 to 130 jpeg/s minute- no memory problems at all - using 1950% of processor power (1950% of 2000%max) and uses the GPU to the max

Affinity photo is 3.5x faster and is so "smart" to do parallel processing of multiple jpegs instead of Photoshop : one by one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:53:16 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BAB

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 10:41:35 pm »

Adobe offers 429 apps I don’t think they can handle the work flow. But I agree PS is not what I’d call quick but it should be the fastest PP software money can buy.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 11:42:34 am »

Photoshop seems a dinosaur in some respects;

to complete
I also did the same test in LR 9.2 
Since i only use it for RAW i forgot it also works with jpegs, and it is the fastest of the bunch!
Kudo's to the LR team! At least they are still improving the basics.

results:

Photoshop : 42 max jpeg/minute slowing to 29 /minute -  using all my RAM (32Gb) upto it needs a scratchdisk - using 300%  of processor power ( 300% of max 2000%)

Affinity photo : 115 to 130 jpeg/s minute- no memory problems at all (8GB used) - using 1950% of processor power (1950% of 2000%max) and uses the GPU to the max

Lightroom 9.2:  156 jpegs/minute  no memory problems at all (7GB used) - using 1400-1800% of processor power (of 2000%max) and uses the GPU.

The results of LR are impressive:  4.5 times faster than photoshop and almost 1.5 times faster than Affinity photo while using less strain of the hardware.

When i bought a new computer after 10 years it was about 5X faster than the old one.
Now abandoning photoshop and use LR in some actions it is about 20 times faster.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:50:01 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up