Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered Nikon D850 - Disabling Autofocus-before-shutter release  (Read 1872 times)

delfalex

Hi,

I keep getting caught out when making tethered exposures using my Nikon through C1, insomuch as it activates an autofocus check (and so often refocuses) before making the exposure.

Is there a way to turn this focusing off? - despite 'magically' managing to somehow stop it activating in the past through chance fumblings, updates have come along and it somehow reactivated - I've never yet found what the key setting.

Fair enough I can and do toggle the manual switch off & on the body, but I often forget & it's a bit of a pain as well as being a bit counter intuitive what with AF activation being disabled from the shutter release button. 

Thanks,

Alex

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Tethered Nikon D850 - Disabling Autofocus-before-shutter release
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »

Hi,

I keep getting caught out when making tethered exposures using my Nikon through C1, insomuch as it activates an autofocus check (and so often refocuses) before making the exposure.

Is there a way to turn this focusing off? - despite 'magically' managing to somehow stop it activating in the past through chance fumblings, updates have come along and it somehow reactivated - I've never yet found what the key setting.

Fair enough I can and do toggle the manual switch off & on the body, but I often forget & it's a bit of a pain as well as being a bit counter intuitive what with AF activation being disabled from the shutter release button. 

Thanks,

Alex

So you are triggering the shutter from C1? You can just turn AF off and use manual focus, or you can use AF-S. Turn the camera setting for focus activation to the back focus button and off for half shutter press if you use AF-S.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

delfalex

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 02:01:23 pm »

So you are triggering the shutter from C1?

Yes; tethered captures.

You can just turn AF off

In C1 - Where do I deactivate it?

Turn the camera setting for focus activation to the back focus button and off for half shutter press if you use AF-S.

Yes; that has been the case even before using C1 - hence why I'm querying how C1 is activating focus when I make a tethered capture through it.

Thanks,

Alex

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 05:20:18 pm »

Hi,

Thanks,

Alex

maybe you have to change the d850 AF setting:
I have the AF not connected to the photo trigger button, but only of the AF button at the back.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 10:10:09 pm »

I don’t shoot Nikon but 99% of my commercial work is shot thethered with C1. Set the camera to manual focus if you trigger the camera via C1. If shooting tethered but firing the camera not with C 1 use whatever AF you would normally use. I use AF for people and MF for products.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

delfalex

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 03:49:54 am »

Thanks guys,

This confirms that configuring the camera AF settings to only the back button ("AF-ON") and OFF for the shutter release, has been correct.

However it still brings me to query why C1 is overriding the camera and activating the autofocus when its 'Soft' shutter release button is pressed;
I mean to say that if C1 has designed high precision auto focus tweaking via its Live View, it seems crazy that it would then override this by doing an autofocus check before making the exposure.

Hmm, I hope I must be missing some other setting (whether on Camera or Software I'm not sure)...

This leads me to ask of the experience of users of non Nikon bodies in relation to tethered focus control - How do the Fujis compare?

Thanks

Alex

delfalex

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 05:03:43 am »

Hmm, I hope I must be missing some other setting (whether on Camera or Software I'm not sure)...

Hooray!
I think I've found the issue;
Within the Nikon settings menu there is a further setting I needed to change to - Release Priority for AF-S (over Focus Priority for AF-S)

This setting (to quote https://blog.nikonians.org) allows;
"A photo can be taken at any time. This can lead to images that are out of focus unless you manually focus each time you take a picture. The camera’s priority is releasing the shutter when you press the Shutter-release button, and it will do so even if nothing is in focus."
https://blog.nikonians.org/digitaldarrell/2011/08/dd-understanding-what-focus-and-release-priorities-do-during-autofocus.html

Thanks again,

Alex

As the subject is an on-board camera setting rather than software this thread could be deleted from this (C1) section (to save my further embarrassment and wasting the time of others)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 05:15:50 am »

This is why i do not want to use many types of cameras; All have there specific handling and buttons...quirks...

I almost always use my nikon with backbutton AF and AF continu so i have control over when i take a photo and when i want autofocus.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

delfalex

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:22:18 am »

This is why i do not want to use many types of cameras; All have there specific handling and buttons...quirks...

So true; with my D800 I didn't have this problem, with the D850 and all it settings, it's ended up only being possible when exposing via the Live View  ::)

I normally try to stay 2 years behind new releases in order to give time for bugs to ironed out.

gargoyle

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 04:09:07 pm »

My experience with D800 maybe related. Camera mounted on motorized pan-tilt drive. Bluetooth enabled XT coupled to a Tablet for viewing and shutter release.
Pan/ tilt to compose. Shutter release by Tablet
1. for Lens with A, MA and M, I select M
2. camera set to M (focus)
3. pre-focus on the subject
4. activate shutter release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up