Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson p5000 showing empty VLM, but its almost full  (Read 352 times)

HartmanPrints

Epson p5000 showing empty VLM, but its almost full
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »

Hey everyone!

So I went to change my VLM because it said its empty, but when I pulled it out, its almost full. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm very perplexed.

Thanks!
-Justin

Garnick

Re: Epson p5000 showing empty VLM, but its almost full
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 08:57:13 pm »

Hey everyone!

So I went to change my VLM because it said its empty, but when I pulled it out, its almost full. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm very perplexed.

Thanks!
-Justin

Hi Justin,

This will probably sound like a rather unusual way to fix an issue such as the one you have described, but it just might work.  I've seen a number of posts stating that after installing a new cart it is either not seen by the printer or shown as empty.  In many cases one procedure was to pull all of the carts and then reinstall them in the order from left to right.  For some reason that has solved such issues in the past, so it just might work for your problem.  Aside from that it could of course be a faulty chip on the cart or simply a dirty chip.  Also, if it does not work after reinstalling the carts, shut down the printer and then turn it back on again.  Can't hurt to try at least.
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

I.T. Supplies

Re: Epson p5000 showing empty VLM, but its almost full
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:57:33 pm »

Justin

What Gary stated is a good list of options and may work.
Unfortunately, since the chip is was can be damaged upon being put into the plastic, it's not something that anyone can tell if it may be damaged until you put it into the printer.  If you take it out and reinstall, maybe it was a hiccup with the printer reading it at first.  I've had some customers attempt this option many many times with no luck and a few others that did it 1-2 times and it worked.  It's a gamble attempt basically.

Turning the printer off and back on again may reset the chip reader in the printer and it works; or it still doesn't.  Usually this case is from a defective chip.
Most places will do an exchange for it within their return policy timeframe, or you can go to Epson direct and they usually have a 1-year warranty from purchase date.

If you bought through another person (like eBay or possibly Amazon), it may not be easy to get it replaced since the seller may not have this ability and Epson may not replace it from an unauthorized (re)seller.

Wish you luck and hope it's a printer hiccup and it reads!
Pages: [1]   Go Up