Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BenQ SW271 monitor on Windows 10  (Read 1843 times)

jemadsen

BenQ SW271 monitor on Windows 10
« on: March 03, 2020, 11:45:32 am »

Hi

I have some problems with the correct handling of this pair of machines. As of now the monitor works through a HDMI cable attached to a Nvidia 2070 Super graphics card. I have also gotten life in the built in SD card reader and USB drives.

But the driver which should bring out the best from this monitor gives me problems. I don't have an optical reader on my system so cannot use the supplied CD ROM, so I downloaded the driver in the form of SW271_WHQL driver ... .RAR file. Unpacking with WinRAR app gives me 3 small files: sw271.cat, sw271.icm and sw271.inf as well as a new SW271_WHQL driver ... .RAR. Rigth clicking on this file gives four options: Open with WinRAR, Extract files ..., Extract here and Extract to SW271_WHQL driver ... .RAR.

What an II supposed to do with this. And where would I put the driver file(s) on my system ?? Somewhere in Windows or on the Nvidia card. And how do I connect the driver with the monitor ??

When I begin generating periodically .icc profiles for the monitor are they supposed to go to the spool/drivers/color folder, and how do I activate them.

On my Macs this was so easy but Windows is a far cry from that.

When I run QImage Ultimate (trial version) it specifies it uses a monitor profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1 which I have located to the drivers/color file in sRGB Color Space Profile.icm. I have no idea about how this happens, but it looks as good as in plain Windows.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

JaapD

Re: BenQ SW271 monitor on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 06:32:42 am »

It’s no rocket science. Open all files with Winrar in a folder named of your choice, for now let’s say ‘driver-package’.

Go to:  System/Display/Advanced display settings/Display adapter properties/properties/Driver

Next step is to ‘update driver’. Select ‘browse my computer for driver software’. Browse to the by you created folder ‘driver-package’. Click on the inf file and the install will be performed.

Done!

Regards,
Jaap.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:40:46 am by JaapD »

geneo

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 10:27:10 am »

Right click on the SW271.inf file and select install.
This should install the color profile in the correct system directory for color profiles and your monitor should be recognized in the windows 10 display settings and show the correct color profile. If not, try a reboot. If the color profile still doesnt show, uses the windows color management app to set it manually and ask if you need help.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

jemadsen

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 02:28:18 pm »

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I have been a little hung-up over the week-end and still is, but will look into it tomorrow or thursday. Hopefully to get it solved.
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

jemadsen

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 10:57:10 am »

Now it is done, although I am a little pussled.

Going through your instructions I get a message saying: The best drivers for your device are already installed.

This is what I end up with:

Driver: Driver date 29.01.2020   Driver version 26.21.14.4219   Microsoft Windows hardware compatibility publisher
Details: NVIDIA GeForce RTW 2070 SUPER
Events:Timestamps from 17.02.2020 Device install, configured (display.inf), started (BasicDisplay)
and                                25.02.2020 Driver service added (nvlddmkm), Device installed (nv_dispi.inf_amd64_9

17.02.2020 was when the machine was actually put together and 25.02.2020 was when I began configuring it, including attaching the monitor and installing photo software.

Is this how it is supposed to be ?? I had expected some sign of BenQ in some of the data, but ...

PS: I tried to attach PNG snippets of screen dumps but could not get it to work in Preview, thus the written data.

Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

jemadsen

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:36 am »

But after posting the 3. attachment went on - the Events part.

I try once more with the Driver data:
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

jemadsen

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 11:00:21 am »

And then finally the Details:

Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen

geneo

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 12:57:44 pm »

You are trying to install the nvidia graphics driver while what you downloaded is the color profile for the monitor (it is not really a "driver"). These are two different things and you were given wrong instructions.

As I said, right click on the .inf file in the folder and select install.
Walk softly and carry a big lens

jemadsen

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 11:54:41 am »

As of now I have the SW271.icm profile in the standard Windows ...spool/drivers/color folder AND referenced in the System/Display/Advanced display/Colour Management/Devices for my monitor. Also the SW271.cat file is put in the Windows/System32/DriverStore/FileRepository.

Next up is installation of the BenQ Palette Master software, which then requires me to upgrade my ColorMunkiDisplay to something like i1 Pro, i1 Pro2, i1 Display Pro, i1 Display 2 or Spyder 5.

Again thanks for the help.
Regards
Johannes Elkjaer Madsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up