Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting catalogs to sessions  (Read 1158 times)

cortlander

Converting catalogs to sessions
« on: March 01, 2020, 03:50:23 pm »

I am toying with changing my workflow to a sessions based, rather than catalog. I use several different software programs in my workflow, and sessions would be less painful to see the files returned from each different program.

I have not been able to find a straight forward way to do this conversion. The steps that I tried are:

1. Create a session
2. In the catalog, select raw images to export, and Export as 'Originals', packed as eip.
3. Unpack once they are in the session capture folder
4. Export tiff's or jpg's as 'Variants' - or copy and paste from my iMac finder

Is there an easier way?

Thanks.
cortlander

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
Re: Converting catalogs to sessions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »

1. Create a session
2. In the catalog select ALL images and Export as Originals..., Check Include Adjustments. Check Include Movies if you have any. Uncheck Pack as EIP.
3. Use the Session's Capture folder as the destination
4. Done

I am toying with changing my workflow to a sessions based, rather than catalog. I use several different software programs in my workflow, and sessions would be less painful to see the files returned from each different program.

I have not been able to find a straight forward way to do this conversion. The steps that I tried are:

1. Create a session
2. In the catalog, select raw images to export, and Export as 'Originals', packed as eip.
3. Unpack once they are in the session capture folder
4. Export tiff's or jpg's as 'Variants' - or copy and paste from my iMac finder

Is there an easier way?

Thanks.

cortlander

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 04:09:55 pm »

Thanks.

This gives an error for the tiff files. Checking the Window/Event Log, apparently EIP export is not supported for tiff files.

1. Create a session
2. In the catalog select ALL images and Export as Originals..., Check Include Adjustments. Check Include Movies if you have any. Uncheck Pack as EIP.
3. Use the Session's Capture folder as the destination
4. Done
cortlander

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 04:16:36 pm »

Thanks.

This gives an error for the tiff files. Checking the Window/Event Log, apparently EIP export is not supported for tiff files.

That's the reason I wrote Uncheck Pack as EIP. This way the original file and the appropriate sidecar files will be copied into the appropriate location individually, which is supported by any file format.

cortlander

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:33:09 pm »

That's the reason I wrote Uncheck Pack as EIP. This way the original file and the appropriate sidecar files will be copied into the appropriate location individually, which is supported by any file format.

Sorry, I missed that. Thanks a lot for your help.
cortlander

m.heijkoop

• Philosopher
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 10:40:42 am »

Just a silly question, why would you do that???
BrightLight!

cortlander

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 11:28:26 am »

Just a silly question, why would you do that???

I have sessions as well as a master catalog containing the same files.

From Capture One, I need to access other software such as Photomatix, Topaz DeNoise AI, Giga, Sharpen and other Topaz products, Affinity Photo, Portrait Pro, Qimage One. Catalog 'Edit In' worked for some, while for others I had to Synchronize to get an edited file back to the User Interface. Sessions seems more straightforward for my use. I also do tethered shooting for portraiture using sessions.

I like the idea of a self contained session which can be moved around. In addition, I still am able to bring the same files, sitting in the same location, into a catalog and be able to take a unified look of everything I have in sessions. So my files are accessible both from a catalog and a session. However, I have to be careful that edits are only done in sessions.

That said, this is a recent move. Few months from now I may hate it, who knows?
cortlander
Pages: [1]   Go Up