Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you want to see what MF digital can do, go see this:  (Read 1711 times)

Waker

If you want to see what MF digital can do, go see this:
« on: February 28, 2020, 02:31:10 pm »

Saw an exhibition of 6 photographs last night in an upscale NYC Chelsea gallery.

60x80" prints, with incredible edge-to-edge resolution, color and dynamic range.
Single shot, candid work with moving people, like nothing I've seen before.
Phase One IQ100 with Alpa FPS body, apparently. Handheld, no tripod.

You may or may not care for the imagery, that's not the point - the results are on another level.
(no point on reviewing online, you need to be in NYC to see the actual prints)

TechTalk

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:02:22 pm by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

elliot_n

TechTalk

Re: If you want to see what MF digital can do, go see this:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:37:36 pm »

I'm also a fan of Stephen Shore. Like Graham, he finds images in things that would usually be passed by unnoticed.

Plus, anyone that would decide they wanted to do street photography with an 8x10 view camera is a friend of mine.

http://stephenshore.net/photographs.php?menu=photographs

elliot_n

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 07:05:20 pm »

I'm also a fan of Stephen Shore. Like Graham, he finds images in things that would usually be passed by unnoticed.

Indeed. And like Paul Graham he has recently been making wonderful large-format prints from medium format digital (Hasselblad X1D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BplS1MmZXk

TechTalk

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 07:37:03 pm »

Indeed. And like Paul Graham he has recently been making wonderful large-format prints from medium format digital (Hasselblad X1D):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BplS1MmZXk

He also uses an iPhone for images on Instagram that have been exhibited at the MoMA. He's definitely open to using any kind of camera and format including a Mick-A-Matic Mickey Mouse camera (really). No gear ideology, just creative uses of it. So refreshing! I think a great way of refreshing ones creative outlook and skills is to use something that's totally different from your habit or use a camera or lens that you would normally consider inappropriate for some type of shooting.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/04/13/the-cameras-of-stephen-shore-on-display-at-the-moma-ny/

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/20/photographer-stephen-shore-brings-instagram-to-the-moma/

Waker

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 03:56:11 pm »

Yes I agree both of these photographers are very intersting and worth investigating.

That said, Paul Graham's prints in this exhibition are far above anything I've seen from Stephen Shore, or anyone else for that matter. Not that I think this will bother Mr Shore - he has a strong influence from Warhol, who he spent time with in his youth, and print quality is not #1 priority for him (hence cellphone images, etc)

It's also interesting for anyone thinking of getting a Phase One XT - as basically the Alpa FPS with Phase back is an XT  - a focal Plane shutter body with Phase digital back attached. Not that it's simply a case of buying that camera - there's clearly a highly refined workflow going on here.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 04:52:23 pm »

Yes I agree both of these photographers are very intersting and worth investigating.

That said, Paul Graham's prints in this exhibition are far above anything I've seen from Stephen Shore, or anyone else for that matter. Not that I think this will bother Mr Shore - he has a strong influence from Warhol, who he spent time with in his youth, and print quality is not #1 priority for him (hence cellphone images, etc)

It's also interesting for anyone thinking of getting a Phase One XT - as basically the Alpa FPS with Phase back is an XT  - a focal Plane shutter body with Phase digital back attached. Not that it's simply a case of buying that camera - there's clearly a highly refined workflow going on here.

I'm not going to make too big a deal out of the many differences between an Alpa FPS and a Phase One XT, but certainly there is no focal plane shutter with the XT, as it relies upon Leaf Shutter lenses (Phase One X Shutter) or the built-in Electronic Shutter of the IQ4 150.

With that said, be it an IQ 100 on an FPS or an XT, I love seeing it in such capable hands.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Waker

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 08:59:44 pm »

Completely right Steve, my bad.

Still, the point is what a handheld camera with no mirrorbox, especially the giant Phase XF one, can resolve with just a shutter making the exposure, be it Focal Plane or Leaf.  I'd imagine ES is higher still, by a microscopic amount, but of course you can't use that on moving subjects, which is what we have here.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:05:05 pm by Waker »
Pages: [1]   Go Up