Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalina OS killed PS6  (Read 1317 times)

Herbc

Catalina OS killed PS6
« on: February 28, 2020, 11:16:11 am »

I have a 2 year old Imac.  Working just fine with an old PS6 which was a carry over from my previous Mac Pro which died.  The Imac was not working well on High Sierra, so Apple convinced me to switch to the latest and greatest OS, Catalina.
Of course, my legacy PS6 won't work with  Catalina.
As I am 83, and use PS6 very sparingly, I am thinking there is a stand alone competitor for PS6 that would do what I need.  I also have a stand alone LR which I use much more than PS6.
Any suggestions on a decent competitor for PS6?  I really can't justify a monthly payment, little as I use the
computer anyway.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Catalina OS killed PS6
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 11:39:12 am »

I have a 2 year old Imac.  Working just fine with an old PS6 which was a carry over from my previous Mac Pro which died.  The Imac was not working well on High Sierra, so Apple convinced me to switch to the latest and greatest OS, Catalina.
Of course, my legacy PS6 won't work with  Catalina.
As I am 83, and use PS6 very sparingly, I am thinking there is a stand alone competitor for PS6 that would do what I need.  I also have a stand alone LR which I use much more than PS6.
Any suggestions on a decent competitor for PS6?  I really can't justify a monthly payment, little as I use the
computer anyway.
first i hope you made a timmachine backup before you went to Catalina. In that case you can go back to your old situation.

I am not familiar with Catalina- i know it only runs 64bit programs and PS CS6 is 64 bit.
If PSCS6 does not work- you have to go back to an older system.
High Sierra should work properly , otherwise try mojave.

Apple always pushes you to the latest system but in this case a lot of older 32 bit programs do not work anymore.
Installers of old systems still can be found, but are hidden by Apple to push you to the latest.

mojave systemdownload     https://support.apple.com/HT210190

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »

Seems the better solution is to stick with your old version of Photoshop on the last OS you had that worked. What’s so special about Catalina? I’m running it but I have a boot for my rarely used 32bit applications. But I wouldn’t do this more than once in a while if that.
Is it really worth having Catalina and some new product (other than a modern version of Photoshop)?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ray Harrison

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 01:03:32 pm »

From a PS6 competitor standpoint, you may want to take a look at Affinity Photo: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ . They certainly don't do everything that Photoshop does, but they do a good-ish amount of the actual photography-based stuff that Photoshop does. Obviously there'll be a learning curve, but definitely worth considering. Photoshop Elements may do what you want as well and it's not subscription. I don't use Lightroom but if it also doesn't work, there are other tools out there that offer some of the same sorts of functionality, but that depends on how you use it of course. Things like Capture One, Luminar, ON 1, and a handful of others.

PS6 itself may be 64-bit, but the issue will almost certainly be with all of the 32-bit cruft applications that come with it, like updaters, etc. Adobe had to do a number of updates on their subscription-based software to account for that when Catalina rolled out.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:18 pm »

PS6 has 32 bit content, as did CC 2018 as Catalina killed that for me.  2019 and up seem to be the only versions that will work on Catalina.  Spent a few days on this with Adobe support.  For my work, should have just stayed on Mojave. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 06:49:05 am »

PS6 has 32 bit content, as did CC 2018 as Catalina killed that for me.  2019 and up seem to be the only versions that will work on Catalina.  Spent a few days on this with Adobe support.  For my work, should have just stayed on Mojave. 

Paul C

Good to know, for more reasons i will also stay with Mojave. It will be my last OSX for sometime to come.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Herbc

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 11:11:08 pm »

The only reason I went to Catalina is that my wireless mouse and wireless keyboard were having a lot of trouble finding the bluetooth hookup.  Apple suggested Catalina as a fix and the worked well.  I am thinking I may go ahead and bite the subscription bullet for PS.  I think it includes LR as well??
I will check on that. I use LR 20x more than PS.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 10:49:37 am »

Yes, you can get LR and PS as one subscription.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Herbc

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 03:12:14 pm »

Bit the bullet and subscribed.  Less than I spend at McD's in a month.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »

Bit the bullet and subscribed.  Less than I spend at McD's in a month.
Must say it has been some years of development now since PS CS6 and some things have improved.
LR/ ACR try texture, clarity/ dehaze... especially texture...
The speed of LR has improved a lot and and i like enhance detail.
... but overall not that much so the price is right.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up