Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G  (Read 21193 times)

gkroeger

Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:35:50 pm »

It is going to interesting to compare these two new lens offerings. Identical focal lengths and apertures, very close in price ($150 USD more for the Nikon). If a larger mount diameter is going to make a difference in image quality, it should be apparent at these short focal lengths. We will see if the touted advantages actually make a difference in the real world. The Nikon is bigger, heavier and costs more... does it deliver more? BTW, I don't have a horse in this race yet... but I am horse shopping.

Glenn

armand

• Photos
Re: Nikkor Z 20mm f/1.8S vs Sony 20mm f/1.8G
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:34:41 pm »

I think you are right with your expectations. This could be a make or break from my point of view.

I have the Z7 with the kit lens and the 50 F1.8 but I'm holding on buying new lenses. I contemplated switching to Sony several times because they have the lenses that I want while Nikon is slow providing, however I'm willing to wait if Nikon can really deliver. So far I've been unimpressed, sure they have good lenses but not necessarily that much better than Sony's options (its own or third party) while being significantly larger.

On these lenses, the Sony is cheaper (for 150 it doesn't matter that much) and smaller. If the quality is close and Sony is good enough (as in as good or better than what's on the market right now) I would call this a win for Sony.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:19:48 pm »

I would personally decide who wins based on image quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

BJL

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:00:32 pm »

F/1.8 lens designs are no challenge for any of these lens mounts as far as I can tell; it’s only in the realm of f/1.2 and faster that Sony E mount could be cramped. And maybe other extreme designs like f/2 zooms; I do not understand much about zoom lens designs.

chez

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 10:29:30 pm »

F/1.8 lens designs are no challenge for any of these lens mounts as far as I can tell; it’s only in the realm of f/1.2 and faster that Sony E mount could be cramped. And maybe other extreme designs like f/2 zooms; I do not understand much about zoom lens designs.

The Sigma 35 1.2 for Sony is a fantastic lens...nothing cramped at all.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 12:42:35 am »

The Sigma 35 1.2 for Sony is a fantastic lens...nothing cramped at all.

It's a very good lens, I wouldn't call it a fantastic lens. At least speaking of my copy. I find most S lenses to be superior to the Sigma 35mm f1.2, except probably the 35mm f1.8 S.

It's also a very heavy lens.

Some owners have expressed their disappointment though. Either they had poor copies or higher expectations.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 11:01:28 am »

It's a very good lens, I wouldn't call it a fantastic lens. At least speaking of my copy. I find most S lenses to be superior to the Sigma 35mm f1.2, except probably the 35mm f1.8 S.

It's also a very heavy lens.

Some owners have expressed their disappointment though. Either they had poor copies or higher expectations.

Cheers,
Bernard

Here is what Roger at Lensrental says about the Sigma:

"The sharpest ultra-wide aperture lens that I had tested (before now) at f/1.2 was the Leica Noctilux-M 75mm f/1.25 ASPH. Despite the Leica’s $12,000 price tag, the Sigma is indeed sharper. I was honestly a little surprised at this."

Roger has tested many lenses and is very thorough.

I've also seen images of the bokeh from the Sigma...amazing.

You just might need to try another Sigma.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 09:49:55 pm »

Here is what Roger at Lensrental says about the Sigma:

"The sharpest ultra-wide aperture lens that I had tested (before now) at f/1.2 was the Leica Noctilux-M 75mm f/1.25 ASPH. Despite the Leica’s $12,000 price tag, the Sigma is indeed sharper. I was honestly a little surprised at this."

Roger has tested many lenses and is very thorough.

I've also seen images of the bokeh from the Sigma...amazing.

You just might need to try another Sigma.

So you haven’t used the Sigma yourself?

I am willing to believe that there are some great copies of this lens.

And also that Sigma is better at lens design than Sony. So far they have shown no intention to come up with f1.2 lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:55:38 am by BernardLanguillier »

chez

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 08:49:55 am »

So you haven’t used the Sigma yourself?

I am willing to believe that there are some great copies of this lens.

And also that Sigma is better at lens design than Sony. So far they have shown no intention to come up with f1.2 lenses.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, Sony seems to be focusing on compact lenses lately like the recently announced 20 1.8...which from initial reviews looks great.

But does it really matter who releases the lens. The comment was that the Sony mount is limiting from producing 1.2 lenses...well Sigma proved that statement false by releasing a class leading 35 1.2 lens. Still haven't seen any proof out there that Sony's smaller mount limits the glass for that mount.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 09:09:02 am »

Yes, Sony seems to be focusing on compact lenses lately like the recently announced 20 1.8...which from initial reviews looks great.

But does it really matter who releases the lens. The comment was that the Sony mount is limiting from producing 1.2 lenses...well Sigma proved that statement false by releasing a class leading 35 1.2 lens. Still haven't seen any proof out there that Sony's smaller mount limits the glass for that mount.
I have not seen any other review than sponsored reviews... not saying it might be a very good lens.
Sony has to produce stellar optics for that is the reason to buy into that system with the mirrorless pressure of Canon and Nikon producing very good optics as well.
They may even afford to loose money on it.
A good time for photographers... at least in the sense of cheap and good equipment. ( not in the sense of finding well payed work)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

chez

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 09:22:32 am »

I have not seen any other review than sponsored reviews... not saying it might be a very good lens.
Sony has to produce stellar optics for that is the reason to buy into that system with the mirrorless pressure of Canon and Nikon producing very good optics as well.
They may even afford to loose money on it.
A good time for photographers... at least in the sense of cheap and good equipment. ( not in the sense of finding well payed work)

Lensrentals is definitely not a sponsored reviewer. They also review multiple copies which many other review sites don't. This takes out the stellar / lemon variance out of the testing equation.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 12:52:32 pm »

Lensrentals is definitely not a sponsored reviewer. They also review multiple copies which many other review sites don't. This takes out the stellar / lemon variance out of the testing equation.
Please show me if  there a review of the 20mm Sony...have missed it.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

chez

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:49 pm »

Please show me if  there a review of the 20mm Sony...have missed it.

Haven’t seen the Sony 20 yet on Lensrentals. Awaiting.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 06:05:01 pm »

Haven’t seen the Sony 20 yet on Lensrentals. Awaiting.

What are the initial reviews saying it’s great then?

Besides when you look at their 85mm f1.4 or 24-70mm f2.8 it’s difficult to argue that Sony has overall compactness as an important design criteria in mind. It looks more that they are attempting to go for maximal image quality (not necessarily succeeding), at least for their bright lenses.

Sigma has indeed demonstrated it’s possible to come up with a 35mm f1.2 with very good (if not excellent) image quality for FE mount. The futur will tell if more are to come.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 06:57:58 pm »

Sigma has indeed demonstrated it’s possible to come up with a 35mm f1.2 with very good (if not excellent) image quality for FE mount. The futur will tell if more are to come.

Cheers,
Bernard

Or more likely if more are warranted. I wonder how many 1.2 lenses are sold compared to say 1.4 or 1.8 lenses. I'd bet there is at least a magnitude difference in sales numbers. How many will buy the expensive, heavy, large lens just to gain a minuscule amount of image quality...never to be noticed if only posting on the net or not printing huge. This fascination of utmost image quality damn the cost and size is really interesting to watch. The question that still remains is does one really see any difference in prints. I know that answer. 

chez

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 06:59:15 pm »

What are the initial reviews saying it’s great then?

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, very positive reviews so far. Comparing it to the 24 1.4 with positive results.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 08:11:14 pm »

Or more likely if more are warranted. I wonder how many 1.2 lenses are sold compared to say 1.4 or 1.8 lenses. I'd bet there is at least a magnitude difference in sales numbers. How many will buy the expensive, heavy, large lens just to gain a minuscule amount of image quality...never to be noticed if only posting on the net or not printing huge. This fascination of utmost image quality damn the cost and size is really interesting to watch. The question that still remains is does one really see any difference in prints. I know that answer.

Well, the same can be said of f1.4 vs f1.8, yet I would say that a majority of photographers think they need f1.4 lenses for either look or slightly lower ISO in low light situations.

It seems that Canon has designed the R system around f1.2 lenses.

Are they all wrong?

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 08:17:54 pm »

Yes, very positive reviews so far. Comparing it to the 24 1.4 with positive results.

Where can they be found?

Cheers,
Bernard

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 11:13:57 pm »

I don’t buy that the faster lenses give better quality argument. All they do is give less depth of field and that only at the maximum aperture. Phones don’t do shallow depth of field and it’s one thing photographers can do to set themselves apart apart from phone users. I believe that is what drives the current excitement over bokeh and fast glass. Well that and nice price tags if you sell lenses.

Remember Patterson texture screens? Like that. A trendy fashion.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 04:33:36 am »

I don’t buy that the faster lenses give better quality argument. All they do is give less depth of field and that only at the maximum aperture. Phones don’t do shallow depth of field and it’s one thing photographers can do to set themselves apart apart from phone users. I believe that is what drives the current excitement over bokeh and fast glass. Well that and nice price tags if you sell lenses.

Remember Patterson texture screens? Like that. A trendy fashion.

Agreed.

I'm interested in compact and lightweight fast lenses but they are few and far between and pretty much restricted to manual focus.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:11:30 am by KLaban »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up