Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing and Renaming Files - Some confusion  (Read 1714 times)

rabanito

Importing and Renaming Files - Some confusion
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:19:58 am »

When I import files to LR I use a custom template:

{Date(YYMMDD)>>}-{Sequence #((01)>>})

Example for today:
(20 02 27 01 - for the first)

20022701.nef

I never had any problem until I made some pictures with another camera:
The first picture got the name
20022701.jpg

Now if for some reason both files are transformed, say, to .tifs, there is a problem-
I opened both files in PS and afterwards saved one after the other.
In LR I got first the first TIFF and then it was replaced by the second.
What am I doing wrong?

In my camera I only store RAW. I'm thinking of storing both RAW and JPG, the JPG as some kind of placeholder when renaming. Not a great solution...

Jim Metzger

Re: Importing and Renaming Files - Some confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:08:31 pm »

Your custom sequence does not have enough variables to prevent duplication.

I use date (20200227)-file number from the camera with extension (JMP5117.NEF) and put images in a folder with a simple name such as "Jones birthday". The date and file number assures unique naming even when the camera file number rolls over to 0001. Converting to jpeg or tif will just change the file type but retain the custom name.

Lightroom takes care of sequencing the files (01, 02, ...) in the Library layout. Of course that sequence is not part of the file name and changes with a custom sort order within the catalog. If you need sequencing you can add it at the end of original re-named file.

rabanito

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 12:40:00 pm »

Your custom sequence does not have enough variables to prevent duplication.

I use date (20200227)-file number from the camera with extension (JMP5117.NEF) and put images in a folder with a simple name such as "Jones birthday". The date and file number assures unique naming even when the camera file number rolls over to 0001. Converting to jpeg or tif will just change the file type but retain the custom name.

Lightroom takes care of sequencing the files (01, 02, ...) in the Library layout. Of course that sequence is not part of the file name and changes with a custom sort order within the catalog. If you need sequencing you can add it at the end of original re-named file.

I see. I never imagined something like that happening :-[

Thanks for the hint, Jim. I'll do that from now on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:58:35 pm by rabanito »

bassman51

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 05:44:34 pm »

I would also ensure that the names coming out of the camera are unique to that camera.  For instance, I have my Olympus cameras set so the file names they assign are 53Mnnnn and 13Mnnnn (for an E-M5.3 and E-M1.3). That way even if they both wind up with a file number of 0001 on some day, the names will be 20200306-53M0001 and 20200306-13M0001.   I would need to take 10,000 pictures on one camera on one day to have a conflict (which I hope I never do).
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 01:24:08 am »

I would also ensure that the names coming out of the camera are unique to that camera.
Similar process.
My Canon generates 2002 currently plus the image number as I am up to the year 20 and have shot 20,000 images. Currently 20023860.cr2
(Hasselblad no problem as it counts to a million shots.)

Inputing from of that I add the Shooting Date so 2020-03-07_20023860.cr2    (I use DPP for that)
I use the full year so that images from the last century don't appear after ones from this one.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 05:30:35 am »

(Hasselblad no problem as it counts to a million shots.)...

Wish my Nikon would do that- goes to 10.000 really stupid.
They sell it with a shutter that lasts 300.000 shots so why not let it count to a million.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rabanito

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 05:03:19 pm »

Wish my Nikon would do that- goes to 10.000 really stupid.
They sell it with a shutter that lasts 300.000 shots so why not let it count to a million.

I'm bad with numbers but you can use the first three characters as well (you have to change that by yourself) but this produces an ENORMOOOOOUS  quantity of filenames
AAA_0000...
ZZZ_9999...
And more

Just doing some chatting  ;)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 12:08:57 am »

This post and a few others recently prompted me to write an eBook.

It covers file names, storage and backup.
Have a look at my book Your Digital Legacy for the sum of $5.99 AU (about $4 US)

Available at AspirationImages.com  under Services / Books.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:47:47 am »

I save my raw images in folders, top level is current year, next is camera, next is month, next day of the month.
 For over twelve years I have used an inexpensive piece of software called Downloader Pro from Breeze Systems Software (https://www.breezesys.com/solutions/breeze-downloader/).

The setup I use, making use of the program's extensive list of tokens, means I only have to create one main folder at the start of each year (this year's main folder is I:\Photos20.) That goes in the slot "Download directory" and is unchanged for a year.
In the Filename slot I use several tokens: {J}_{d}_{seq#}, where {J} is "Job Code". {d} is 2-digit year, and {seq#} is a sequence number, which automatically increases with each photo, until I decide to reset it to zero.

Job code  is any label I choose to enter for each shoot (event or location). I have checked the box to ask it to prompt for job code each time it is run.

The latest photo I have taken with my Sony is located at I:\Photos20\DSC-RX10M3\2020-03-25\Pharmacy_200325_239.ARW
and the latest one from my Cano G5X is at I:\Photos20\G5X\2020-04-01\Morseland_200401_248.CR2 .

It takes a few minutes to set up the initial system, but after that, all I have to do is insert a memory card in my reader, run Downloader Pro, enter a Job Code, and tell it to download. When finished,I can tell it to delete the images from the camera card, and I have two full sets of the images in separate locations. For me, it was well worth the modest price of $45.

-Eric
I also turn on the automatic backup , whch produces an eact copy of the current download, but on a different drive.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rabanito

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 05:54:27 pm »

Thank you Bob and Eric! :) :)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 03:07:45 am »

Jim's initial advice was good, resolving your problem and doing it all in Lightroom - which its point, one program to do all of the typical workflow.

Camera filenames are meaningless though, and you can resolve your problem by keeping your date+seq# renaming scheme but by doing your renaming after import and when you've decided which pictures to keep. This has a range of benefits and makes the sequential number act as an extra safeguard. As a simple example if #0055 is missing from an import sequence running #0001 - #0103, you currently do not know why - it could be one you deliberately deleted. But by numbering after you've decided which to keep, missing gaps in the sequence are warning signs.

rhynetc

• Tom Rhyne Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 10:33:50 am »

I've found this filename format to be useful:  Date{YYYYMMDD}-{Hour}{Minute}{Second}-{Serial Number}
Pages: [1]   Go Up