Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clamps - alternatives to Manfrotto and RRS  (Read 2976 times)

shadowblade

Clamps - alternatives to Manfrotto and RRS
« on: February 25, 2020, 08:59:04 am »

I'm looking for a new clamp to hold flashes, Magic Arms and even cameras in the field and am wondering what everyone else is using, and with what success.

The Manfrotto Super Clamp is too heavy, and, with only a single 5/8 receiver, too inflexible. Great in the studio, not so great when you're backpacking with it.

The RRS Safari Clamp/Multi Clamp (an old and new name for basically the same object) looks good, has multiple 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 threaded holes and can clamp onto wider objects (89mm as opposed to 55mm for other clamps), but is hideously expensive for a clamp and requires a fiddly process with hex keys and removable/easily lost parts to attach/remove the flat surface attachments - hardly something you want to be doing when you're taking a photo in a busy place and using a clamp for support because the place doesn't allow tripods.

Has anyone tried the Sunwayfoto PF-01 Titan clamp? It looks good on paper - 150g, multiple 1/4"-20 threaded holes, flat-surface adapters which are permanently attached so you can't lose them, but swing out of the way so you don't have to spend a minute fiddling with screws and small parts before you can use it on a round object.

Any other good options? Basically, I'm looking for something lightweight that can clamp on both flat and round objects without a slow/complicated process to change between the two options, while securely holding a Magic Arm with attached camera/lens or flash.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:10:29 am by shadowblade »

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
Re: Clamps - alternatives to Manfrotto and RRS
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 06:28:44 pm »

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 05:25:40 am »

I ended up getting the Leofoto MC-100. Bought two of them and just received them today.

They're very solidly built, can open to around 12cm for round objects and 8cm for flat surfaces and clamp tightly but smoothly. Lots of 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 threaded holes, as well as a 1/4"-20 stud. Cheap compared to the RRS Multi-Clamp, but expensive compared to almost every other clamp out there - it's definitely not a 'cheap' clamp. Weighs around 290g, so about the same as the Multi-clamp with the flat surface adapters. Best of all, unlike the RRS, you can just flip the flat surface adapters out of the way when you don't need them, rather than having to fiddle around with Allen keys for a minute to add/remove them and ensure you don't lose them.

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 07:39:05 am »

Who did you buy them from?

Victor B

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:29 am »

Who did you buy them from?

Victor B

Photosphere, in Singapore. Message/email them about international shipping - they were more than able to accommodate. I couldn't find it at all in Australia.

EinstStein

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 11:28:35 pm »

Between the two, I have a concern how likely it could leave a teeth print on the surface? 
It looks like the Smallrig has an adequate rubber. Do they both have that?

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:56:33 am »

Between the two, I have a concern how likely it could leave a teeth print on the surface? 
It looks like the Smallrig has an adequate rubber. Do they both have that?

No issues there - it's got rubberised grip pads that don't leave marks.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 11:00:03 am »

I ended up getting the Leofoto MC-100. Bought two of them and just received them today.

They're very solidly built, can open to around 12cm for round objects and 8cm for flat surfaces and clamp tightly but smoothly. Lots of 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 threaded holes, as well as a 1/4"-20 stud. Cheap compared to the RRS Multi-Clamp, but expensive compared to almost every other clamp out there - it's definitely not a 'cheap' clamp. Weighs around 290g, so about the same as the Multi-clamp with the flat surface adapters. Best of all, unlike the RRS, you can just flip the flat surface adapters out of the way when you don't need them, rather than having to fiddle around with Allen keys for a minute to add/remove them and ensure you don't lose them.
e
That looks very good.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up