Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have a Memento Smart Picture Frame that still works?  (Read 4427 times)

kgivens

Anyone have a Memento Smart Picture Frame that still works?
« on: February 24, 2020, 06:17:39 pm »

About a year ago, I bought the gorgeous 35" Memento digital picture frame--- the only large digital display on the market with an aspect ratio of 3:2, to perfectly fit an uncropped image from a full-frame DSLR sensor. My plan was to use it in an exhibit I'm giving later this Spring. Trust me---Images displayed on the Memento look phenomenal in 4K resolution. I congratulated myself on my purchase, and then put the frame in storage, unopened--- until now. I decided it was time to get it out of the box and get my exhibit slide show set up.

...And to my dismay, I discovered that the frame is totally unusable. Why? The short-sighted designer of the Memento provided only one way to download images into the frame: by using the Memento app to upload pictures from a phone, iPad or PC to the Memento servers. This arrangement was criticized as kludgy---why not just put an SD card reader on the back of the screen?--- but it did work, mostly. For awhile, that is, until the company behind Memento went out of business not too long ago. They quietly closed their support department, shut down their website, and switched off their servers also.

Now that the servers are gone, there does not appear to be a way to get photos onto the display. I've heard that there was some hack involving a usb thumbdrive but I can't find details about how that worked anywhere.

Does anyone here have one of these frames, and is it still working for you? Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get my pictures on to the frame? During set up, I can get the frame to see my laptop and phone (and vice versa) but then I get an error message indicating the frame cannot contact the servers.

Sincerely hoping I can meat someone with hacking skill that can turn my Memento back into a smart picture frame, instead of the 40 pound, $900 paperweight that it's become. Thanks in advance everyone---

Don Blauvelt

Re: Anyone have a Memento Smart Picture Frame that still works?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:04:19 pm »

I have one, but it is not in use right now. I might be able to check it out in a few days, I'll let you know.
Don

Don Blauvelt

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 03:44:14 pm »

Well it turns out I had time to check today. My Memento Smart Frames 35" & 25" (not very "Smart")  aren't working either.  I think I'll hold them for a while in case somebody comes up with a solution soon. Let me know if you find someone with an answer and I'll let you know.
Don

Hariver

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 02:58:48 pm »

You can't see through the browser or settings which USB device was connected to your computer? It's just that if you can hold your exhibition live, it will be a cool way to present it in life. You would stand out from the rest. If the mandatory condition is an online exhibition, then you can contact the people who are engaged in this. For example, I know that the same photo design does https://www.frameshop.com.au/canvas-prints. I didn't order photos in this format from them, I often ordered my photos on canvas from them. But I read many positive reviews about these guys.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:10:49 pm by Hariver »

Joe Towner

t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up