Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplest, Powerful Photo Editor  (Read 2503 times)

Brad P

Simplest, Powerful Photo Editor
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:02:54 am »

I am looking for a paid or unpaid photo editor for my 80+ year old Dad.

He edits and does perspective correction with his old software, and upgraded to windows 10, but his old software doesn’t work. 

Lightroom is the obvious choice.  Rawtherapee and Gimp are great freeware and are both way to complicated.  Anything else?

He shoots in JPG and has an archive of that, which is necessary to process.  I’ve tuned him in to Phocus and other “solutions” which process on screen but don’t output JPEG crops. 

Any 80+ perspective correction solutions? Paid or unpaid? Better with some exposure, highlights, shadows, contrast and white balance.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:23:29 pm by Brad P »

Jan K.

Re: Simplest, Powerful Photo Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 07:34:20 pm »

Have you tried install the "old" software in compatibility mode?

Whatever cold feelings I've ended up having towards Microsoft, Windows always had good backwards compatibilty. Unlike other OSes...

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:12:59 pm »

If your father does a lot of perspective control, this may be the ticket....there is a demo for free:  https://www.dxo.com/dxo-viewpoint/

RT

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 11:11:48 pm »

I've been using DxO Photo Lab (and its earlier versions DxO Optics) for the last several years. I'm speaking as someone in their mid 70's.  It can be as simple or as complex as you want.  The perspective software is good and the controls for exposure, highlights, shadows, etc. are not that hard to master.  A couple of things I'd check on before going down the DXO route are compatibility (DxO is not Fuji friendly) and your Dad's computer's capability as DxO can be both a processing and memory hog and be slow to start up (although OK when up and running).

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 06:51:14 am »

Would ‘Photoshop Elements’ work for him?
John

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:15:19 am »

Have you tried install the "old" software in compatibility mode?
+1 it may take a few goes, but I'm delighted at how much 'old' software still works on W10.
The only program I can't get to work is an obscure shareware label printing package that was written in 1995!
Pages: [1]   Go Up