Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Constable  (Read 993 times)

Rob C

Constable
« on: February 23, 2020, 06:59:27 am »

Tonight at 9pm on BBC4 tv (UK time).

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Constable
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 07:21:37 am »

Rob,

If they do it right and I hope they do, It will be outstanding...no doubt! Thanks Rob...

Peter

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 07:32:41 am »

Here are Two takes on Waterloo Bridge...

First by Constable and the second by Turner. The different approaches were always the struggle in their "friendship"...

Constable paints as it idyllically was. Place and information all by observation. Everything in it's place. A "proper painting".

Turner Paints the city in it's time. The Industrial Revolution...smoke from coal burring ships and buildings, creating the modern atmosphere. An emotional response.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:40:05 am by petermfiore »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 08:09:32 am »

And both powerful images that invoke an instant response in the viewer. I hope we're going to be able to get this in the US.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 08:17:48 am »

And both powerful images that invoke an instant response in the viewer. I hope we're going to be able to get this in the US.

Me Too!

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 11:26:20 am »

Keep your fingers crossed: it's only by dint of the tv licence that folks have to pay if they have a set, that the Beeb finds the money for its travel, nature, dramas, news and documentary products. This source is always under threat by successive governments that want to pander to the public's "everything free" mindset. They either don't care about tv quality, or just watch brain-deadening reality shows and dance. Despite the fact that those Beeb productions get sold abroad too, earning a nice sum for the country, it still appears not to be sufficient to meet the needs for great production values if it has to stand unsubsidised.

It remains a permanent challenge: pay for quality or get crap for free.

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 12:43:11 pm »

The comparison is ongoing, Constable, Turner, Turner, Constable...

The problem with Constable here in his homeland is that he is perhaps unfairly associated with greetings cards, coasters and biscuit tin lids.

By comparison, this biscuit lover sees Turner as a visionary.

;-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 01:09:54 pm »

The comparison is ongoing, Constable, Turner, Turner, Constable...

The problem with Constable here in his homeland is that he is perhaps unfairly associated with greetings cards, coasters and biscuit tin lids.

By comparison, this biscuit lover sees Turner as a visionary.

;-)
. ,

That's was the point of my post. After all, it is the Turner prize.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 10:33:44 am »

Worse yet, just like when one recommends a restaurant, the food goes down the tubes the day the friend visits!

I watched the show last night, and it turned out to be a cheapie made up of cuts from a bunch of old tv shows about Constable: nothing new other than a nervous lady (with nice teeth, though!) wandering a cold beach and making commentary on the man.

I suppose it was aired to show how badly the BBC will perform if it is deprived of a good budget. Good timing.

;-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up