Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expanding canvas size  (Read 855 times)

hea7

Expanding canvas size
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:56:06 am »

When I try to expand the canvas size on all 4 sides, PS expands the canvas on either 2 or 1 side. I have done this many times without issue. I have relative box checked and all the arrows are on. 
I am on an iMac with Catalina 15.3. 
I have reset preferenes and that did not work either. 

rdonson

Re: Expanding canvas size
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 04:48:10 pm »

Which version of PS are you using???
Regards,
Ron

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:55:49 am »

When I try to expand the canvas size on all 4 sides, PS expands the canvas on either 2 or 1 side. I have done this many times without issue. I have relative box checked and all the arrows are on.
I am on an iMac with Catalina 15.3.
I have reset preferenes and that did not work either.

Since I'm running PS-CS6 on High Sierra my input here is probably not relative to your particular situation.  However, I just checked on my system and it works fine, whether the Relative box is checked or unchecked.  But as Ron has mentioned, it could very well have something to do with your Photoshop Version.       
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 04:00:42 pm »

You could try the crop tool. Hold Shift-Opt and pull one corner out. All four sides should expand equally

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 08:22:24 pm »

You could try the crop tool. Hold Shift-Opt and pull one corner out. All four sides should expand equally

For the Crop Tool you are correct.  However, I do believe the OP is referring to the canvas size, not the image size due to cropping. Two totally different subjects.  The canvas is what could be described as the window in which the image resides.  When increasing the canvas size you are actually adding editable area(s) to the image, either on one, two or all four sides, and it has nothing to do with the Crop Tool.   
Gary N.

elliot_n

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 09:58:05 pm »

For the Crop Tool you are correct.  However, I do believe the OP is referring to the canvas size, not the image size due to cropping. Two totally different subjects.  The canvas is what could be described as the window in which the image resides.  When increasing the canvas size you are actually adding editable area(s) to the image, either on one, two or all four sides, and it has nothing to do with the Crop Tool.   

Crop Tool does the same thing.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:04:31 am »

Crop Tool does the same thing.

At no point did I write that the crop tool cannot eventually do the same thing.  What I did write is that the Crop Tool has nothing to do with the Canvas Size Tool.  Obviously the Crop Tool can indeed add canvas, but in my opinion it cannot do so as efficiently as the Canvas Size Tool. And one rather obvious point not mentioned in the initial reply concerning the Crop Tool is this.  For that approach to work one must first expand the size of the image window in order to see how much canvas is being added.  Yes, a small point, but an important one.     
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:59:53 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 01:34:25 pm »

For the Crop Tool you are correct.  However, I do believe the OP is referring to the canvas size, not the image size due to cropping.
Both methods expand the canvas in precisely the same way. The crop tool does not change the image size.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:06:51 pm by Peano »
Pages: [1]   Go Up