Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS connection issues with Catalina  (Read 1097 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
NAS connection issues with Catalina
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:19:47 pm »

Hi team,

Has anybody else been impacted by the NAS connection issues in Catalina?

I have had to waste 3 hours last evening to troubleshoot major connection issues to my NAS preventing the successful completion of an essential back up activity with ChronoSync.

I had never experienced any issue in the exact same set up before "upgrading" to Catalina.

Days after purchasing a new Mac Pro I question again the ability of Apple to deliver a professional working OS with their yearly pace of upgrades... heck... every single pro uses a NAS as back up system. How can they not ensure that AFP works... it's their own protocol...

For those interested, it seems that the issue is with AFP and that imposing an SMB connection and limiting it to smb2 and smb3 in the NAS setting may have fixed the issue.

Cheers,
Bernard

Joe Towner

Re: NAS connection issues with Catalina
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:19:29 pm »

Which NAS?  Was this part of the out of the box setup (restore from time machine backup) or after up and running & looking to setup backups for the first time?
t: @PNWMF

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:43:09 pm »

Which NAS?  Was this part of the out of the box setup (restore from time machine backup) or after up and running & looking to setup backups for the first time?

A Synology 1817+ with 8x10TB drives configured as Raid 6. The bay OS is DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4, which I think is very recent.

The issue isn't occurring during restore, it is occurring during back up. More specifically an attempt to complete a partial back up that had failed earlier due to a system crash.

The connection to the NAS would just be lost which translated into:
- the backup software (ChronoSync) sort of freezing
- access to the content of the NAS folder to be impossible from the Finder itself, the NAS folder would just display as blank (but the NAS remains visible as a mounted drive in the Finder)

But there is no issue to connect through HTTP to the admin web console of the NAS. The issue really appears to be on OSX side.

There are many reports of this issue in various forum on the web.

It seems to work now through SMB, although my Mac Pro 2013 keeps crashing which doesn't help. I may just have to complete this back up with the new Mac Pro...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:50:07 pm by BernardLanguillier »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:55:36 am »

... heck... every single pro uses a NAS as back up system. How can they not ensure that AFP works... it's their own protocol...
Really? I use direct drives as NAS is too slow.
I think that AFP has been obsolete for some time and have been using SMB with Mojave.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:23:42 am »

Really? I use direct drives as NAS is too slow.
I think that AFP has been obsolete for some time and have been using SMB with Mojave.

Sure, I also use a TB3 raid unit as live storage, but a NAS as back up.

I was not aware that AFP was obsolete. It's surprising since OSX selected by default AFP to connect the NAS. On the NAS settings, both SMB and AFP were available as default.

One thread in the Synology forum where this issue is being discussed: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/129160?page=4&sort=oldest

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:51:09 am by BernardLanguillier »

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:05:41 am »

A Synology 1817+ with 8x10TB drives configured as Raid 6. The bay OS is DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4, which I think is very recent.

The issue isn't occurring during restore, it is occurring during back up. More specifically an attempt to complete a partial back up that had failed earlier due to a system crash.

The connection to the NAS would just be lost which translated into:
- the backup software (ChronoSync) sort of freezing
- access to the content of the NAS folder to be impossible from the Finder itself, the NAS folder would just display as blank (but the NAS remains visible as a mounted drive in the Finder)

But there is no issue to connect through HTTP to the admin web console of the NAS. The issue really appears to be on OSX side.

There are many reports of this issue in various forum on the web.

It seems to work now through SMB, although my Mac Pro 2013 keeps crashing which doesn't help. I may just have to complete this back up with the new Mac Pro...

Cheers,
Bernard

My Synology 1812 connected perfectly and with no intervention when I upgraded three systems to Catalina.   All are fully functional with the nas.  That said I do system backups to external ssd drives.
Craig Lamson Photo

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 04:27:25 pm »

My Synology 1812 connected perfectly and with no intervention when I upgraded three systems to Catalina.   All are fully functional with the nas.  That said I do system backups to external ssd drives.

I am glad to hear your system works fine.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up