Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Real Blow Up  (Read 2545 times)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: The Real Blow Up
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 06:50:02 pm »

Rob,

Reasons for links and explanations, please, as I've stipulated on numerous occasions. Even youtube.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 03:29:58 am »

Rob,

Reasons for links and explanations, please, as I've stipulated on numerous occasions. Even youtube.

Jeremy

I thought the reason was obvious from the title.

Apologies for expecting too much!

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 04:58:18 am »

I thought the reason was obvious from the title.

Apologies for expecting too much!

;-)

Please, Rob. Even I don't click on your links anymore (without a reasonable explanation). One too many times being burnt by some hideous swamp rock music.

Yes, the title is obviously* about The Blow Up movie... so what? What is the connection between the movie and the links you provided?

* even that is actually far from obvious for anyone but us old farts.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 05:10:47 am »

No doubt there is a good reason for explaining why links are posted. 

To be honest though I had no idea what Blow Up was (may be not old enough or farty enough) but I clicked on the links anyway and really enjoyed the programs.

Almost made me want to start taking photos of people/models (no .. not really  :) ) but I do like genres I don't/can't/won't do myself.  In fact I have a Snowdon book here somewhere that I bought in the late 80's ..

Mike

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 02:17:42 pm »

Please, Rob. Even I don't click on your links anymore (without a reasonable explanation). One too many times being burnt by some hideous swamp rock music.

Yes, the title is obviously* about The Blow Up movie... so what? What is the connection between the movie and the links you provided?

* even that is actually far from obvious for anyone but us old farts.

Slobodan, as you are averse to taking me on trust, I am obliged to ask you if you actually watched?

If you did, you will have understood that the concept of the documentary was to investigate the reality of the photographers of that period with the rather unfocussed image of the people that Antonioni managed to create, which whilst it encouraged many a callow youth to buy a camera, ignored the reality that having silly girls trample your rolls of Colorama was just not going to happen willingly; it was bother enough taping the soles of their shoes to stop them putting black scuff lines everywhere which, pre-PS, was not a fun thing to have to adjust in the darkroom.

To conclude, it was a documentary about photography, London and the swinging sixties and those who made it happen.

Did that help?

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 02:27:06 pm »

No doubt there is a good reason for explaining why links are posted. 

To be honest though I had no idea what Blow Up was (may be not old enough or farty enough) but I clicked on the links anyway and really enjoyed the programs.

Almost made me want to start taking photos of people/models (no .. not really  :) ) but I do like genres I don't/can't/won't do myself.  In fact I have a Snowdon book here somewhere that I bought in the late 80's ..

Mike

Glad you enjoyed the programmes; the sequences are sometimes difficult to put together from the web, and I realised some years ago that the Part 2 section seems to end before its time. In fact, for a long period, it had lost its sound. That said, it's interesting whilst it lasts.

A problem, though, is that British culture refuses to accept that Europe was already producing photography of a very similar nature even before Bailey popped his pretty mop of hair and talent above the parapet. Frank Horvat and Jeanloup Sieff, for starters. It's true that very often being first is not best: those who come along later and "steal and make it their own" often reap the rewards.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 05:55:18 pm »

Just for Slobodan, then; music he's sure to love:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efB3aQkZS1g

:-)

leuallen

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 09:07:21 pm »

Just for Slobodan, then; music he's sure to love:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efB3aQkZS1g

Very tasty.

BJL

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 10:07:01 pm »

... the concept of the documentary was to investigate the reality of the photographers of that period with the rather unfocussed image of the people that Antonioni managed to create ... it was a documentary about photography, London and the swinging sixties and those who made it happen.

Thanks—why didn’t you say do in the first place? ;)

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 03:40:24 am »

Thanks—why didn’t you say do in the first place? ;)

It was in the title; taking this nonsense to its logical conclusion means there would have been no need for a video at all.

Hello the generation of late weans!

As an aside: this was posted in the Professional space, where one could be forgiven for thinking that a famous movie by an internationally acclaimed director on the subject of London photographers of the era would not be entirely unknown.

;-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:49:51 am by Rob C »

BJL

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 05:16:42 pm »

... taking this nonsense to its logical conclusion means there would have been no need for a video at all. ...
Taking things from one extreme to another is the cause of many messes in our world lately!

That aside: thanks for the link

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 05:39:59 am »

Taking things from one extreme to another is the cause of many messes in our world lately!

That aside: thanks for the link

;-)

Rob

imagetone

• http://www.tonymayimages.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 03:38:02 pm »

Rob

Been meaning to thank you for this. Informative photographic documentary plus 1960s swinging London nostalgia. Worked for me.

The second part seems to end prematurely?

Tony

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 03:54:05 pm »

Rob

Been meaning to thank you for this. Informative photographic documentary plus 1960s swinging London nostalgia. Worked for me.

The second part seems to end prematurely?

Tony

Indeed it does, and if I remember correctly, one version of it that I found online had no sound!

I did see the entirety on tv, and wish that I'd recorded it.

Glad you got some pleasure from it; it never fails to touch me, probably because it was my era.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up