Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "On Photography Magazines"  (Read 10248 times)

Doug_Dolde

"On Photography Magazines"
« on: November 11, 2002, 04:57:44 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I subscribe to both.  They are well worth the subscription price though not particularly oriented towards landscape photography.[/font]

John Randall

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 07:14:03 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I agree with Marl. Lots of fluff. Less and less substance. It's become a wearying, predictable routine: I scan the topic headings to find an article of interest. Turn to it. Read it for the two minutes it takes. Remind myself that, given the limited number of words per page allowed the writer, I couldn't have done much better. I always feel compassion for the poor writers.

We may be watching a demise here. This is a tragedy.[/font]

John Randall

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 10:47:19 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Yes, Jan, but I've found myself becoming more and more disappointed in the contents, both in length and substance, of the past dozen issues of View Camera.

I have a totally unscientific perception that when Steve Simmons, the publisher and editorial director, decided to add Camera Arts to his repertoire, he took on a lot more than one man can reasonably handle, even with the obviously competent staff he has assembled to assist him. It 'feels' as if a diffusion of creative talent has resulted, at least as far as View Camera is concerned. Camera Arts is clearly edging out View Camera as the generally better quality publication.

However, I'm going to give both magazines at least one more year of support. Of the genre, they're still high up enough to warrant coninued support, and in this age of declining editorial quality in photography publications, one must go with what is 'out there', mustn't one.

Best regards,
John Randall[/font]

John Gellman

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 11:33:09 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I can usually find Camera Arts at B&N. But I'm finding that a combination of this site and Nature Photographers Online Magazine to be better than any printed magazine.[/font]

Bob Stevenson

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 07:46:00 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']"Outdoor Photography" is v. good because it concerns itself with the game of getting the best possible landscape photos, especially under the kind of conditions we have to contend with here in the UK !!  There is no predilection for 'art' in its pages or the need to examine its own 'photographic navel' that seems so prevalent in other mags.  There is also an excellent B&W mag from the same stable called, unsurprisingly, "Black and White Photography" , and to come full circle, Mike Johnston has just started contributing to it!![/font]

Marshal

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 02:36:48 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Mike Johnston's Sunday Morning article on photography magazines reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask some of you. Do any of you have Camera Arts or its sister magazine "View Camera"?  I'm particularly interested in Camera Arts. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

I've been thinking abut subscribing since getting a brochure in the mail from them. It seems like a good professional and fine arts type magazine with more substance than most photo mags. At least from that sample. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere around here. My local B&N bookstore, which carries a large # of photo mags doesn't carry that one. At least not here.[/font]

Marl

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 09:56:41 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I have grown weary of the major photography publications. Many have become nothing but large advertising fronts and offer little, if any real substantive information-100 pages of equipment ads and 2 pages of articles.[/font]

Jan Brittenson

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 12:08:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Do any of you have Camera Arts or its sister magazine "View Camera"?  I'm particularly interested in Camera Arts. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.[/font]
[font color=\'#000000\']Those are the only two magazines I currently read on a regular basis.  I use to read D&CCT and C&D, and I forget the permutations those names went through, between ca 1985 and 1995ish.  At some point they went defunct and my subscription turned into a pumpkin (PopPhoto), at which time I stopped reading photo magazines entirely.  But recently I checked out Camera Arts and really liked it.  And I also found I really liked View Camera; either it has changed or I have, because I never found it interesting before. ???[/font]

John Gellman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2002, 11:31:18 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I can usually find Camera Arts at B&N. But I'm finding that a combination of this site and Nature Photographers Online Magazine to be better than any printed magazine.[/font]

glen gaffney

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2003, 01:33:58 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Try PHOTO LIFE  a Canadian photography magazine not heavy into adds like the american counterparts. As the canadian $ is very weak it makes even more sense. Also try joining the Canadian Association of Photographic Art [about 47 canadian] You get to enter competitions and get Camera Canada mag. It has prize wiining images plus articles. Both are on the www.[/font]

Cliff

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 02:22:35 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I don't like PHOTO LIFE any more than the US magazines, because of the poor quality of the content.  It does appear to have less advertising content, but the equipment reviews are ususally the same thinly-disguised "advertorials" that we are used to seeing in the US publications.  The bulk of their content seems to consist of contests and reader submissions, because (I'm told) they aren't willing or able to pay competitive rates for professional submissions.

The only photo magazines I buy nowadays are the British publications "Outdoor Photography" (not to be confused with the US publication with a similar name) and the new "Travel Photography".  I find both their reproduction quality and their editorial content are far superior to what we have on this side of the pond.[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up