Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using the BenQ SW2700PT?  (Read 871 times)

Garnick

Anyone using the BenQ SW2700PT?
« on: February 17, 2020, 07:54:25 pm »

I recently had to put my NEC PA271W in storage due to an issue that's been coming on for the past couple of years.  I'm attaching a camera shot of it just before I took it out of commission.  A screenshot was exhibiting even more moire, and unfortunately the camera shot isn't much better   I've been researching the BenQ SW2700PT that has some interesting features and rather positive reviews.  Certainly the pricing is rather interesting as well.  However, after using NECs for many years, I would like to get some feedback from some of the great folks here on LuLa if possible.

Thank you in advance 😀   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:58:01 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Pat Herold

Re: Anyone using the BenQ SW2700PT?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 08:06:34 pm »

If a s "screen shot" was exhibiting moire, then the moire would not be an artifact of the display itself, since the screenshot is done within the operating system itself and not the monitor.  Unless I'm missing something?

Anyway, sometimes a complete factory reset of a display (walking through the menus using the buttons on the display), will breathe new life into an old display.  You might give it a try!
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

rasworth

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 08:15:27 pm »

I own one and am generally pleased, it's a lot of display for the money.  It's not as good as the high end NECs and others.  I've had it for several years, BenQ's expertise with software is questionable, it's taken several iterations of their Palette Master Element Software to achieve stability.  And you have no choice, in order to set the display channel LUTs you have to use PME.

There some more info in a recent thread https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=133891.0

Richard Southworth

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:05 pm »

If a s "screen shot" was exhibiting moire, then the moire would not be an artifact of the display itself, since the screenshot is done within the operating system itself and not the monitor.  Unless I'm missing something?

Anyway, sometimes a complete factory reset of a display (walking through the menus using the buttons on the display), will breathe new life into an old display.  You might give it a try!

I believe there is some degree of truth in what you have mentioned here about the moire effect showing in the screenshot.  As a matter of fact I was questioning that as well, but that's why I finally used my camera to show the issue on the PA271W.  The moire effect showed in both the screenshot and the camera shot.

If you will check this post also here in this category - https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=133896.0 - about my experience with an old LCD2690 Nec Display that had somehow healed itself while sitting in a box for almost 7 years you will also see what it looked like in a camera shot before I placed it in the box and then a screenshot taken last week when I removed it from the box and was surprised to see that it looked much better than it did 7 years ago.  Yes, a camera shot showing the issue 7 years ago and a screenshot last week showing no such issue at all.  Both the camera shot and the screenshot show exactly what I was seeing at the moment that both were taken.  So far no one has offered a possible reason for this Healing process.  Perhaps it did somehow RESET itself during that time period.  As Twilight Zone-ish as that may seem, it's the only possible reason put forth at this point. 
Gary N.

geneo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 12:00:35 am »

I don't see how it can be a display problem either if it shows up in a screen shot unless you viewing the screen shot on the same display. Otherwise, the graphics system on your computer must be generating the pattern. Can you post the screen capture?
Walk softly and carry a big lens

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 10:15:01 am »

I don't see how it can be a display problem either if it shows up in a screen shot unless you viewing the screen shot on the same display. Otherwise, the graphics system on your computer must be generating the pattern. Can you post the screen capture?

I won't post the Screenshot of the PA271W because, as I mentioned previously, it showed a rather nasty moire pattern that was worse that the camera shot.  I could take it out of storage again and get another screenshot, but not very soon unfortunately.  However, if you refer to this post - https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=133896.0 you will see the two versions of the LCD2690, before and after.  The before was a camera shot about 7 years ago and it shows the issue then quite well.  The second is a screenshot early last week after taking the LCD2690 out of a 7 year storage.  That screenshot shows exactly what I saw on the screen at that time.  I am now using the rather ancient LCD2690 after it had somehow healed itself.  I will try to get a screenshot of the PA271W later today if possible.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:48:12 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 11:43:18 am »

You've mentioned that perhaps the graphics system might have some part to play in this.  By that I assume you are referring to the GPU. I recently showed the issue to a customer/friend of mine and asked if it might have anything to do with the GPU.  His fast answer was NO.  I asked if he was absolutely certain of that, to which he also answered NO.  After we both had a chuckle he explained.  The reason I had asked him is because of his background in IT and setting up networks for a large mapping company for many years.  Obviously he knows what he's talking about.  However he did say that in all the years of building computers and networks he couldn't recall seeing any sort of issue like the one he saw on my display that could be traced back to the GPU.  But, he also said that his memory does not rule out the possibility that the GPU could perhaps be at least a contributing factor. 

A bit more information:  I have always run the NEC PA271W on a 2010/2012 Mac Pro.  I also have a 2009 Mac Pro as a backup, so when I take the PA271W out of a rather short storage period I will first connect it to the 2009 Mac Pro and see if the issue is still obvious on that computer.  It has a different GPU than the 2010/12 Mac Pro.  If the issue doesn't manifest with the the 2009 MP that would at least be a sign of a problematic GPU in the MP 2010/12.  As a matter of fact I've been entertaining the idea of upgrading the Mac Pro 2010/12 GPU to one that can handle the Mojave OS.  Even if I cannot tie the display issue to the GPU directly on the MP 2010/12 I'll probably do the GPU upgrade
regardless.  Can't be a bad thing.           
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 02:02:11 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up