Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on an Epson 7800?  (Read 914 times)

guido

Thoughts on an Epson 7800?
« on: February 17, 2020, 12:27:58 pm »

I'm looking for a used older gen Epson 7xxx series printer to convert to piezeography. I am talking to someone about a 7800 that was running the Cone color inks but started to get inconsistent head checks (full squares missing he says) which he attributed to damper issues. So he pulled the inks and moved the printer to the garage where it has sat in the cold for two months.

My understanding from life with a 7600 years ago was that he just created the head clogs from hell... Is this true with the 7800 printer too?

Would this printer be worth saving? Replacing the dampers is not a big deal but if it has been allowed to dry out it sounds to me like a head replacement too...

Any thoughts and experiences form others who have gone down this road would be most appreciated!

guido

BrianWJH

Re: Thoughts on an Epson 7800?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:13:39 pm »

No experience with the 7800, however the 7600-9600 has a reputation of extreme reliability. if you were 'getting head clogs from hell' then you either had a lemon or failed to provide any maintenance or sufficient usage. We have a still functioning 9600 bought new that has interrmittent use but just won't die.

Brian.

guido

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:30:55 pm »

I never personally had issues (till the my 7600 took a lightning hit that fried the main board   :'( ). But it was documented the never leave the ink carts removed for longer than it takes to replace it will a new full cart.  Is that not the case in peoples experience?

BrianWJH

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:21:03 pm »

Depends on how much you pay for 7800, if its a couple of hundred dollars then possibly worth the effort to get working again, I'd buy some Inkjet mall piezoflush and empty carts and flush the machine, paying particular attemtion to any clumping in the ink delivery tubes that run from the ink carts to the head assembly, before trying to clean the head, if the ink has clumping then you are just forcing the clumps into the (new) dampers and printhead, use a syringe and disconnect each ink tube and flush existing ink out first.

Bob.

guido

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 08:38:36 pm »

It's in that range. Pity the pizeoflush costs more than the printer... I'd be more interested in taking the gamble if I had a more solid feel about the printer.

Thanks for your thoughts!

mearussi

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 01:23:31 am »

The x800 series is a lot more sensitive to head clogs than the x600 series is (I've owned both) and a 7800 that's been sitting idle for several months I wouldn't buy without seeing a clean nozzle check. Now if he wants to give it to you free that's different, though if it doesn't have any ink you'd still be out a good sum of money buying ink for it just to see if it worked or not. So either way I'd be wary.

guido

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:01:43 am »

Ah! This is very helpful info! Much appreciated!

Doug Gray

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 02:07:29 pm »

I have the big brother, a 9800, that I've abused over the years including years of sitting completely idle. When I ran a nozzle check virtually every nozzle was clogged.

Got new inks, something called "magic bullet," ran 3 deep cleanings and everything cleared up. Been running well for the last few years with no nozzle problems as long as I use it every week or so.

guido

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 04:50:31 pm »

If it had been running clean and happy before it was put away, It might have been worth it. But it was having issues, so I think I'm going to move on and find one in better shape...

guido

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 03:46:24 pm »

To close the loop, a lovely low mileage, only printed on sundays 7890 has joined my studio. Now to convert it to Piezio Pro...
Pages: [1]   Go Up