Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metallic paper for primarily Landscapes - seeking guidance  (Read 1117 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Metallic paper for primarily Landscapes - seeking guidance
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:14:33 am »

A landscape photographer all of my life - now 73. 
Now shooting with the GFX 50S.
For the last several years I've been using Hahn. Baryta Glossy Fine Art in my Canon Pro 2000.

I've been happy with it but over the last year folks that see my work ask if I have tried my images on Metallic media.
No, because I build my own profiles and enjoy doing my own printing - "It's my work!"

However, last week I did just a little research and came across several "metallic papers" that can be run through my Canon.  Ordered the InkPress Metallic Glossy in 11x14 and the Hahn. Photo Rag Metallic 8.5x11.

Yesterday built profiles with the respective papers (X-Rite iPro v. 2) and generated a profile for each.
In comparing the profiles in the iPro software, the InkPress has a impressive color space, better than the Hahn by enough to matter to me.

Then, I printed two color files and found the results interesting; InkPress definitely produced a much stronger print that the Hahn.!

Observations: 
Both papers took quite a bit more brightening than my tradition paper, or than the profiles suggested.
Printed the same two images on each paper and it was no contest - InkPress.  I've never seen such vivid colors, depth or sharpness on any paper.

As the InkPress is substantially more reasonable in cost, that is a nice plus as well.

I think this media has an attraction to it, both to my eye as well as potential sales.

Thus, I'd like to hear recommendations about:
Best metallic papers you've experimented with and what you standardized on, and why.

From the now 3 landscapes I've printed, it seem the images that look the best with "pop" have
lots of reds and blacks in them.  Valid generally?

Any tutorials that are worth the time to watch on this topic?

Is this media any good for B&W landscapes?  If so, any "tweets" that B&W requires verse color?

What can be used to sign a metallic print?  What I have used in the past certainly does not work.

Any suggestions in print flow with this media will be appreciated.

Are Metallics normally framed without glass? 

Jack
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:56:24 pm by Lust4Life »

mearussi

Re: Metallic paper for primarily Landscapes - seeking guidance
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:32:30 am »

I've tested five metallic papers so far, Moab, Breathing Color, Kodak, Red River and Hahnemuhle Rag. The Red River and Moab look a lot alike and have a pearlescent sheen to them, the Kodak was awful in having a really poor dmax and so many OBAs that the whites were purplish, the Breathing Color looks the most metallic of the bunch and is the one I have standardized on, and the Hahnemuhle Rag is unique and works really well for some images but not for others, it's also the only one without any OBAs and so can be considered "archival."
I've yet to test the Inkpress but you make it sound interesting, but if you haven't yet tested the Breathing Color I suggest you give it a try.
 https://www.breathingcolor.com/vibrance-metallic

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 09:53:58 am »

Thanks for sharing your experience!  That just the type of information I was looking for.

I've logged into Breathing Color - could not find on their site metallic gloss paper - then used
your link and found it - thanks for including the link.

I would encourage you to take a look at the InkPress Metallic Glossy! 
I'm very impressed with it and now trying to find something that can beat it.
I've clearly defined it not the Hahn. flavor! 

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:23:13 pm »

Just like mearussi I have tested a number of metallic papers and found the Breathing Color Metallic probably the most pleasing.  I purchased a number of sample paper packs and ran a standard calibration image using the vendors canned profile on my Epson P800. besides the BC, Kodak, Moab and Hahnemuhle Rag.  I also tested the Simply Elegant Metallic Pearl and Gloss.  (I will have to get some InkPress metallic to try) I have printed a number of B&W conversions using DXO's Silver Effex Pro 2 with excellent results on Breathing Color's metallic paper.  The Hahnemuhle is the heaviest paper at 340 gsm and is the only one I have tested so far that has a textured surface.  It is also quite silver in color which can work with some images but the BC metallic is a better fit for a larger number of image types.  One paper I found that was like printing on a sheet of sliver was the Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver.  If you are looking for a VERY sliver paper this is the one.  The Hahnemuhle comes in second in that measure.  I purchased a roll of each of the Hahnemuhle and Bc and have run a number of images through my Epson P9000 and both can give interesting results but I think like mearussi that the BC is a bit better overall for most images.

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 08:27:14 pm »

Just like mearussi I have tested a number of metallic papers and found the Breathing Color Metallic probably the most pleasing.  I purchased a number of sample paper packs and ran a standard calibration image using the vendors canned profile on my Epson P800. besides the BC, Kodak, Moab and Hahnemuhle Rag.  I also tested the Simply Elegant Metallic Pearl and Gloss.  (I will have to get some InkPress metallic to try) I have printed a number of B&W conversions using DXO's Silver Effex Pro 2 with excellent results on Breathing Color's metallic paper.  The Hahnemuhle is the heaviest paper at 340 gsm and is the only one I have tested so far that has a textured surface.  It is also quite silver in color which can work with some images but the BC metallic is a better fit for a larger number of image types.  One paper I found that was like printing on a sheet of sliver was the Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver.  If you are looking for a VERY sliver paper this is the one.  The Hahnemuhle comes in second in that measure.  I purchased a roll of each of the Hahnemuhle and Bc and have run a number of images through my Epson P9000 and both can give interesting results but I think like mearussi that the BC is a bit better overall for most images.
The BC metallic is also absolutely superb for night shots. I've printed one of my night cityscapes and a friends astro photos and the metallic adds a depth and dimension that can't be beat by anything else.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:55:12 am »

Thank you for your replies, I'm learning and feel there is much more to learn.
Fortunately I can generate my own profile so I can pull the best out of each paper.

I am still very impressed with the InkPress Gloss, and have no use for the Hahn. It's texture is way to
harsh/rough for my taste as it dampens to my eye one of the key advantages of metallic - sharp and
depth. 

I will not check out the Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver and appreciate your thoughts on it.

I find with the manufactures of silver paper, there is a lot of wasted space as they are not
providing dimensions that fit with the camera I shoot - GFX 50S which is 3x4.

Still need to hear how to get a signature on this media - soooo slick!

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 08:57:41 am »

Thank you for your replies, I'm learning and feel there is much more to learn.
Fortunately I can generate my own profile so I can pull the best out of each paper.

I am still very impressed with the InkPress Gloss, and have no use for the Hahn. It's texture is way to
harsh/rough for my taste as it dampens to my eye one of the key advantages of metallic - sharp and
depth. 

I will not check out the Moab Slickrock Metallic Silver and appreciate your thoughts on it.

I find with the manufactures of silver paper, there is a lot of wasted space as they are not
providing dimensions that fit with the camera I shoot - GFX 50S which is 3x4.

Still need to hear how to get a signature on this media - soooo slick!

I use a silver paint pen (there's also gold if you prefer). They are sold at Michael's and a few other art stores. And 17" x 22" paper makes a nice 16x20.

https://www.breathingcolor.com/vibrance-metallic

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 09:00:22 am »

Thank you - will go to Michaels this afternoon and pick one up!

mearussi

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 09:53:08 am »

Thank you - will go to Michaels this afternoon and pick one up!
Make sure you get the finest point you can as it tends to spread.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:24 am »

Make sure you get the finest point you can as it tends to spread.

Thanks for that!  I would not have discovered that until it was too late.
I expect it also takes quite a bit of time to dry, so have to be careful to let it sit before
stacking with others.

Jack

mearussi

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 10:28:49 am »

Thanks for that!  I would not have discovered that until it was too late.
I expect it also takes quite a bit of time to dry, so have to be careful to let it sit before
stacking with others.

Jack
A bit, about 15 minutes should do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up