Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unbelievable NEC Dsplay Recovery !¡!  (Read 1174 times)

Garnick

Unbelievable NEC Dsplay Recovery !¡!
« on: February 10, 2020, 02:56:58 pm »

This is part of an email I just sent to NEC Support.  The first part of the email referred to an issue I've had with both the LCD2690 and The PA271W displays, although somewhat different in each.  I won't bore you folks with the first part of that email, but I imagine you might have exactly the same response as you read on - This cannot happen. This is impossible! This does not happen, except in the Twilight Zone.  However, with all the honesty I can muster, I guarantee that what you are about read is exactly as it happened. EXACTLY!¡!

And away we go, the impossible becomes possible somehow  :o

The Story, as it happened and as I emailed it to NEC Support:

"Now here’s the odd thing about the LCD2690.  When I decided to replace that display with the PA271W I put the LCD2690 in the same box the PA271 was shipped in and put it in a cool dry area.  I had decided that when I purchase a new NEC to replace to PA271W I would discard the PA271W.  Yesterday I took the LCD2690 out of the box after 5+ years, with the intent of finally discarding it as well.  However, I decided to connect it to one of my MacPros just to remind myself how bad it was before I put it away.  To my great surprise the LCD2690 looks like new, absolutely NO issues at all.  Obviously not what I was expecting, but a very nice surprise.  I’ve left the LCD2690 on since yesterday afternoon and it is still as good as it was when I first booted it up.  It’s almost as if it had somehow healed itself while sitting in the box for so long.  At this point I might set it up with my Work MacPro and see how it performs there."

Yes indeed, somehow the impossible became the possible, for which I am grateful. 

Gary

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:26:20 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Lessbones

Re: Unbelievable NEC Dsplay Recovery !¡!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 06:36:53 pm »

well... what was the problem?

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:45:49 pm »

well... what was the problem?

I suppose I should have included this information previously, but I was rather busy at the time.  Both of the displays mentioned above eventually presented with basically the same affliction, which I have tied to two 40W speakers installed within 3 - 5 feet of the display(s).  The issue presents as rather slight diffused and jagged lines, mostly nearer to the edges.  The second issue is what I refer to as a sort of stain along the top and along the two sides for about 3/4 of the way down.  In the PA271 I have to make sure that the image is placed at centre to avoid being effected by the stain.  Obviously, these together are making post processing of images difficult to say the least, and I believe the end of the PA271 is now near, which makes my impossible discovery yesterday even more important.  One other thing I will raise here is my plan for the PA271.  I will indeed not be discarding that display.  I will store it for a few years as I did with the LCD2690 and see if it has what it takes to heal itself as well.
Gary N.

BAB

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:39:25 am »

This is actually quite common with newer software and operating systems a lot of the problems that we used to have in the past with our monitors have been solved not only with software but the molecules that have been gained through global warming has affected all electronics in a similar way in fact if you were to take a TV that was saved and LCD from let’s say two year 2000 and put it in a box and leave it for five years standing on its long edge due to global warming and molecular interference that TV Would render a better picture today than it did say 15 years ago
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:15 am »

This is actually quite common with newer software and operating systems a lot of the problems that we used to have in the past with our monitors have been solved not only with software but the molecules that have been gained through global warming has affected all electronics in a similar way in fact if you were to take a TV that was saved and LCD from let’s say two year 2000 and put it in a box and leave it for five years standing on its long edge due to global warming and molecular interference that TV Would render a better picture today than it did say 15 years ago

This post is 57 days early.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:45:42 am »

This post is 57 days early.

Well Jim, I must admit that I cannot seem to find a reference to your 57 days.  However, you did beat me to it with your reply.  My first thought for a reply was something like this:

REALLY?????  No, REALLY?????  WOOOOW - That's it????? OK - why not?????   I guess my reference in my original post to The Twilight Zone had much more significance than I had ever imagined.  However, since I have admitted ignorance concerning the possible reason for this revival of the old LCD2690, just about any sort of explanation should perhaps not be counted out.

OR- OR, on the other hand, yes they should be!¡!  And away we go ------------- :) :o :-\

Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:02:47 am »

WHOOOPS and  WHOOOPS again Jim.  I should be and I am ashamed with myself, since I've been an astronomy buff for a big part of my life, and yet I had totally forgotten to look at my Astro-Chart.  On my Ansel Adams calendar the next FULL MOON icon wasn't large enough to catch my eye.  I can now rest and enjoy another java, after following your guide with more intensity and a bit of humour.  Albeit, truthful humour!  Would that Global Warming might have such positive effects on all aspects of our lives.

Thanks Jim,

Gary 
Gary N.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:28:22 am »

WHOOOPS and  WHOOOPS again Jim.  I should be and I am ashamed with myself, since I've been an astronomy buff for a big part of my life, and yet I had totally forgotten to look at my Astro-Chart.  On my Ansel Adams calendar the next FULL MOON icon wasn't large enough to catch my eye.  I can now rest and enjoy another java, after following your guide with more intensity and a bit of humour.  Albeit, truthful humour!  Would that Global Warming might have such positive effects on all aspects of our lives.

I was thinking of April 1st.

Lessbones

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:51:38 am »

:o

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 02:40:53 pm »

I was thinking of April 1st.

Well Jim, you've made my day :).  By that I mean I was actually correct for once.  On my Adams calendar April 7 is 57 days from today, which means that Apr.1 is only 51 days.  I do apologize for having to correct you, but as I mentioned, you have indeed made my day.  However, in my opinion either day could very well refer to the first reply to my OP, so I guess we're both correct. But I will still take my own few minutes of satisfaction if you don't mind  :D.

Thanks Jim,

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:45:03 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 03:58:24 pm »

Well Jim, you've made my day :).  By that I mean I was actually correct for once.  On my Adams calendar April 7 is 57 days from today, which means that Apr.1 is only 51 days.  I do apologize for having to correct you, but as I mentioned, you have indeed made my day.  However, in my opinion either day could very well refer to the first reply to my OP, so I guess we're both correct. But I will still take my own few minutes of satisfaction if you don't mind  :D.

Oops! Enjoy.

Garnick

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 09:43:26 am »

I've decided to add some visual content to my original story about the revival of the LCD2690.  After installing the 2690 in my workstation I decided to send my story to NEC support to see if anyone might find it interesting and perhaps find an answer or two.  The fellow who replied asked if I had any pics I could send.  I recalled that I had posted the initial issue with the 2690 on LuLa back in 2010 when the problem was getting to the point of no return.  At least that's what I thought then  ;D.  It required  bit of searching, but I finally found the initial camera shot I used then(dated 2010-09-10) and also included a screenshot of the NEW/old 2690 (dated 2020-02-11).  In the final reply from NEC the tech wrote that he had spent quite some time trying to discern what could at least be some sort of explanation for the original issue with the 2690.  Otherwise he had absolutely no idea why or how the 2690 had somehow healed itself.  The only reason he and apparently another tech could think of was that perhaps it was due to moisture getting in the display.  My last reply to him was that the 2690 was used in a rather low RH environment and had definitely never been exposed to any sort of moisture, and that I was the only person with access to that display.  He also mentioned that of course both the PA271 and the LCD2690 were past warranty, to which I replied that my only reason for sending my story was to perhaps find if he had ever come across such a situation in which a display had obviously healed itself after approximately 10 years in storage.

OK, enough of that.  The first pic is the rather bad camera shot of the LCD2690 with what I refer to as a smudge issue at the right side, before I entombed it in 2010.  The second pic is a screenshot of the 2690 after I had resurrected it and found that it was performing as new.  Although I realize that a screenshot will not exhibit any issue within the display itself, this screenshot does however show what I am seeing as sit in front of the display.  It shows the fact that the issue in the first pic has indeed been healed during the time the LCD2690 was in storage.  The third pic is a camera shot(dated 2020-02-11) of the PA271W that I entombed last week and replaced with the NEW/old LCD2690, which is still operating very nicely, although each time I turn it on I wonder if this is the time it will start to show the old issue again.  At this point my story comes to a very happy ending, albeit a story of intrigue and unanswered questions.  Of course the only important question was answered last week when I first installed the LCD2690 after 10 years of rest, to find a very unexpected present.  :) ;D 8)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:44:03 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

datro

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 10:06:20 am »

Gary,

Your first picture shows an artifact that is very similar to what I have recently started to see on my LCD2490 (same generation display as your 2690, just the smaller size).  My experience is that after the unit has warmed up this usually disappears, but my conclusion so far is that the display is nearing the point where I will need to consider replacing it.  I don't think it is a backlight issue (fluourescent in this case) but rather something going on with the LCD panel itself, possibly tied in some way to the ColorComp feature in the panel which I have always set at the highest level.  (ColorComp is intended to help maintain even luminance over the panel as it ages.)  SpectraView reports 13469 total hours in use for my LCD2490.

Anyway, my guess is that you may see this artifact return on your panel after some use again, but for now it's great that you can get some more life out of it!

Dave

Garnick

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 11:03:27 am »

Gary,

Your first picture shows an artifact that is very similar to what I have recently started to see on my LCD2490 (same generation display as your 2690, just the smaller size).  My experience is that after the unit has warmed up this usually disappears, but my conclusion so far is that the display is nearing the point where I will need to consider replacing it.  I don't think it is a backlight issue (fluourescent in this case) but rather something going on with the LCD panel itself, possibly tied in some way to the ColorComp feature in the panel which I have always set at the highest level.  (ColorComp is intended to help maintain even luminance over the panel as it ages.)  SpectraView reports 13469 total hours in use for my LCD2490.

Anyway, my guess is that you may see this artifact return on your panel after some use again, but for now it's great that you can get some more life out of it!

Dave

Dave,

Sorry to hear that your 2490 is perhaps starting down the same rocky road I experienced with the 2690.  Of course there is perhaps a light at he end of the tunnel for your particular situation.  It will however take a bit of time to discover whether or not my apparently magical way of treating my 2690 may also be the FIX your 2490.  Of course there's no way of determining how long it took for my 2690 to HEAL itself, since my reason for keeping it so long boxed up and in a proper environment was simply my own particular penchant of hanging on to things that should have probably seen the garbage pile long ago.  A negative part of my psyche to which my wife will testify quite willingly, but one that in this case, proved to be very positive from my point of view.  The healing process for my 2690 may have only taken perhaps one or two years, or perhaps not even that long, but of course I had no way of knowing that I should have checked it periodically as time passed.  I will however be more time savvy with the PA271W that I have just put away, and perhaps check it after one year of storage.

If after the first check of the PA271W I find that the issue has at least started to become less noticeable I will be back with an update to this journey.  :) ;D 8)

Gary       

Gary N.
Pages: [1]   Go Up