Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred Calibration tools - Xrite or Spyder?  (Read 9264 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Preferred Calibration tools - Xrite or Spyder?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:34 pm »

i1 Display.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2020, 09:06:31 pm »

i1 Display.
So if I understand the chart, because the i1's which are the same as the units furnished with the NEC Spectraview II are closest to the Jeti reference, they're the most accurate?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2020, 09:15:03 pm »

So if I understand the chart, because the i1's which are the same as the units furnished with the NEC Spectraview II are closest to the Jeti reference, they're the most accurate?
The Jeti is the reference device. It’s very expensive, it’s very accurate. The owner very, very likely had it recalibrated and certified yearly. Those devices that correlate to it closely are ideal because they correlate with a high end reference. Those that don’t are not accurate devices.

You buy a 25 foot tape measure at  Home Depot and you assume, expect it is accurate. How accurate is that, how accurate do you need? You compare it to some $10K super duper NASA reference measuring system and see it’s accurate to within +/- 1000th of an inch, but another tape measure you bought at Harbor Freight is accurate within a 10th of an inch. You now know which of the two tape measures is more accurate. And of course it’s useful to determine how accurate you need a tape measure (maybe 10th of an inch accuracy if more than enough for the task at hand). But if the two tape measures are about the same price, you’d be foolish to not recommend or buy the tape measure from Home Depot. And this is what the graph is illustrating.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2020, 11:16:09 pm »

Well, I have the NEC monitor and Spectraview II software and puck.  I bought them together figuring why mess around with differing manufacturers and making them work together especially when the Spectraview software is part of it.  It's nice to know NEC used an accurate puck. 

Brookie

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 01:03:01 pm »

The image has no embedded profile, so it takes on your default workspace.  Try assigning various standard workspaces, see if that affects the black separation.  Start in Photoshop, assign ProPhoto, save it out and load into Lightroom, should look identical.  As far as color tint, you may get better results creating a LUT based profile instead of matrix.  I can see very slight tint in a few of mine, it may be that as good as this display is for the money it isn't in the same league as the more expensive NEC, etc.

Also the neutral performance is affected by the accuracy of the measuring device and number of patches in the target.  Make sure your room is dim, hopefully the puck seals well against the screen but better to calibrate/profile in lower light.  I'm assuming you're using the advanced mode in Palette Master Element, and that you've upgraded to the latest version.  I use absolute black point, have had some problems in the past using relative.

Richard Southworth

Richard,
Sorry I haven’t gotten back on this sooner. My PS profile is set to ProPhoto - I double checked that. My room is medium bright, but I will try recallibrating with lower light. I tilt the screen slightly to be sure I have good contact between the Spyder5 and the screen. I am using Advanced mode in PME. I am using Relative black point - in the past when I’ve used Absolute the resulting calibration seems to block the blackest blacks worse than in Relative mode.

The slight tint I do see is visible on both the BenQ monitor and on my MacBookPro so I’m inclined to think it is not the monitor - though I agree, as good as the SW2700PT is, you can’t expect it to match a monitor that costs 3 to 4 times as much. We have to be reasonable after all.

Thanks again for your help,
Brookie

Brookie

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2020, 02:08:53 pm »

Richard,
I decided to see if the tint I see on screen holds up in the print. So I printed your grey scale step wedge on a couple of matte papers. I do see the tint, but it is less visible in print than it is on the screen. Both prints were made with appropriate paper profiles and with the B&W check box left unchecked. No soft proofing adjustments were made other than selecting Perceptual intent - blacks looked a bit better on screen with perceptual than relative.  The warmer toned paper (Canon Premium Matte) revealed the tint a bit more prominently than the cooler toned paper (Red River Polar Matte) - which I think makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:13:01 pm by Brookie »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up